User Tag List

MBTI
    INF

Default When did you find a passion?

At what age did you find a passion? It can be any interest that persisted for a long time.

Also related questions:
    - was there a point in childhood where you found that you developed opposite traits to your normal personality?
    - was there a point in your youth when you decided you wanted to be greater, and really excel in something?
    - was there a point where you felt your old personality "die away", and perhaps adopted a more spiritual mindset?
    - do you find that over the years, you become increasingly and increasingly further along in how deep you understand reality?

(provide an approximate age for these things where possible)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I'm in my 20s and still finding a singularity of passion and purpose. Feel like I'm interested in everything and nothing at once sometimes (although I'm content with my major of study atm).
    Likes lunalum liked this post

MBTI
    INF

Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I'm in my 20s and still finding a singularity of passion and purpose. Feel like I'm interested in everything and nothing at once sometimes (although I'm content with my major of study atm).
    Have you noticed any significant divisions between one part of your life and the next?

Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    639 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    At what age did you find a passion? It can be any interest that persisted for a long time.
    I'm still looking. It's very difficult for me to attach myself to anything at all and, by nature, I am incredibly apathetic (except in regards to a few things, like specific goals I initially dedicated myself to and dropped by necessity or like... Dealing with problems that need to be solved). Everything is a drag really, though I guess the only "passion" I have is thinking, because it's something that I do too much and probably wouldn't be able to live without doing, but I figure that doesn't count for what you mean.

- was there a point in childhood where you found that you developed opposite traits to your normal personality?
    I've always been very inconsistent in personality, but I had my largest shift in personality was probably between the ages of 12-14.
    - was there a point in your youth when you decided you wanted to be greater, and really excel in something?
    I've always been excessively motivated to excel in general. In terms of "developing a better personality" if that counts, probably around 14.
    - was there a point where you felt your old personality "die away", and perhaps adopted a more spiritual mindset?
    My personality sort of died away between 13-18 I guess, but I didn't become more spiritual (I became less spiritual)
    - do you find that over the years, you become increasingly and increasingly further along in how deep you understand reality?
    Most certainly, though I wonder if I'm just fooling myself. Reality is sort of hard to grasp anyhow.

“My deplorable mania for analysis exhausts me. I doubt everything, even my doubt.” Gustave Flaubert
    | 6w5 3w4 9w1 sp/so |

MBTI
    INF

@RadicalDoubt

What do you mean that your personality "died away" from 13-18, yet from 14 onwards you were focusing on developing a better personality? Is there a link between those two things?

MBTI
    INF

To answer my questions:

My personality first noticeably shifted at around 7. I became quieter/socially anxious.

I had another shift at 11, and soon after was into philosophy and music.

At 15 I realised I needed to be doing more than I was doing, and wanted to really achieve something.

At 20 I had another shift, becoming much more spiritual amongst other things.

There have been a number of shifts since then.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Have you noticed any significant divisions between one part of your life and the next?
    For most of my life, I've had a general idea of the possible tracks I wanted my life to take career-wise (I want my career to reflect my purpose and passion, which is why I'm answering through that lens). It's only recently that I've worked to, for the time being, admit I'm kind of in wandering state and relinquish the fixation on the future.

Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    639 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

@RadicalDoubt

What do you mean that your personality "died away" from 13-18, yet from 14 onwards you were focusing on developing a better personality? Is there a link between those two things?
    Yes there was a link I think. My personality seemed to become less discernible and the feeling "of self" that most people seem to have was noticeably missing. From 14 on I focused on developing a personality I liked and bettering myself to perhaps leave the state of apathy and quietness/anxiety I had seemed to fall into

“My deplorable mania for analysis exhausts me. I doubt everything, even my doubt.” Gustave Flaubert
    | 6w5 3w4 9w1 sp/so |

I've always been passionate about animals and nature. It's probably still one of my biggest passions but it feels useless since there's nothing I can do about those 'issues'. Thinking about captive whales par example. My biggest dream would be to be able to rehabilitate those animals and release them back into the wild (and to make the captivity of whales illegal across the globe), and observe them. But what can I do about it? Absolutely nothing. It frustrates and angers me what makes me avoid the subject most of the time.
    Sometimes I dream about starting a big project, to help countries that struggle with plastic pollution par example. It's useless to start picking up garbage. Couldn't we possibly educate the people there, start a project to keep the streets&waters clean, with the help of local citizens? It could possibly create jobs too, and thereby help the economy? Or would it simply be a volunteer project?

There's so much stuff out there. I am thinking to give biology (or something else) a shot anyway after I've finished my current studies. I suck at math and my chemistry is aged too. But I can try. If it doesn't work out I can still work somewhere as a volunteer, that could bring me somewhere too.

Probably when I became more social and started to care (more) about interpersonal relationships. Before the age of 13 I didn't really care that much.

Change has always been a slow process. I can see how/that I have changed, but never really had a 'turning point'.

The more I think about reality, the less I understand it.

To add that claying possibly has become one of my 'passions' too. But it's not able to make rage run through my veins like thinking about nature/animal issues do. To be passionate about something to me is to be ready to fight. I can talk passionately about art too, possibly discuss things but there's a finer line between 'wrong' and 'right' (and I don't always pick a side). When it comes to animal causes I know what I want, what I stand for and what I am rooting for.
    In other words; I'd hit someone with a brick if I had to. Maybe I could make it out of clay.

I Always Go Back To Me

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    638 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Also related questions:

(provide an approximate age for these things where possible)
    I wouldn't call it a passion, but there is an obsession I have that doesn't really fade away. Even if it wanes, it always comes back.

1) Probably when I was about 12-14, I began to move away from being a "mob" person.

2)Probably always had this trait, but it didn't florish until high school.

3) I wouldn't say die away, but more like forgotten. I find it hard to think back how I was then. Back there, I was under unrelenting stress and abuse. So I am not sure if I changed, or became who I always was.

4)Oh yes, definately. I feel my mindset changing constantly. I feel like I am watching the world from afar though, as if staring at an ant farm. My own interest changes to different aspects over time. I feel my understanding is on a different plane of reality than most, good or bad. I just can't shake that feeling.

Likes Legion liked this post