• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identity

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What groups are you a part of that serve as a significant part of your identity?

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
My hobbies are important to me, but I've been unable to find any groups nearby that involve them, in any but the most vague and generic way. There was a site that specialized in finding such groups, and I forget what it was called; but, here in Chicago, where it is cold a good deal of the time, a lot of people signed up as having "interests" in that stuff would be no-shows on the day of the actual get-together or meet-up. Some would excuse themselves at the last minute, but many would just not even bother explaining their absence. I think the site has better success in places like California.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I... actually don't know.

I may say X, but really I'm more associated with the activity than the actual group surrounding it. Then again, my sense of identity is pretty diffuse.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I kinda realized this thread doesn't have much of a topic, and it's just a question. However, we can discuss how being a part of groups contributes to identity if anyone would like.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't feel like I'm much of a part of any group anymore. Even the groups I meet with from time to time, I don't feel like I'm a part of, nor do I want to be a part of them.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I've only ever been part of groups temporarily; usually acquaintances I ran into a nightclubs/bars. But I always made sure to leave how I arrived: alone.

LucrativeSid

In real life with real people that are around me, there is no group. In my mind, I'm sort of in the group of people who are non-religious and also the group of people who are intellectuals/seekers/creators. I feel a sense of connection with those people, even if I don't know them personally. When I was a teenager, I was in a stoner or druggie group, and that probably had a pretty big impact on my identity at the time. I'm glad I'm not as stupid as I was back then.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
In real life with real people that are around me, there is no group. In my mind, I'm sort of in the group of people who are non-religious and also the group of people who are intellectuals/seekers/creators. I feel a sense of connection with those people, even if I don't know them personally. When I was a teenager, I was in a stoner or druggie group, and that probably had a pretty big impact on my identity at the time. I'm glad I'm not as stupid as I was back then.

Yes, I think that's what the group identity thing is all about, and we all have group identities like that whether we want to admit it or not. So obvious ones that people tend to be affected by.

School or Level of Schooling
Field of Study
Religion

I'm probably forgetting something that's so common and obvious.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The middle-class youth of today.

kaboom

MBTI Type
INTP
In general I don't identify with any groups. However I do define myself with words like "artist" or "INTP", and those are terms that a large group of people can also use to define themselves...in their own subjective way.
But I don't feel that any organized group(s) geared for a specific purpose could identify me.

Last edited:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
In general I don't identify with any groups. However I do define myself with words like "artist" or "INTP", and those are terms that a large group of people can also use to define themselves...in their own subjective way.
But I don't feel that any organized group(s) geared for a specific purpose could identify me.

It doesn't have to be an organized group. If you ran into another artist, wouldn't you suddenly feel like you two have something in common? Or maybe you'd have to investigate first to find out what kind of artist before you felt like that. If you and someone else are similar kinds of artists, then you two would have stuff to talk about.

If I ran into an artist it would be insignificant to me because I hate art. I play music and more specifically I play rock/metal on a guitar. If I run into someone who does the same or plays the same music on another instrument, it's an instant connection former. That also gives us the potential to be playing music together.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
The middle-class youth of today.
:rock:

I'm not in any particular group, but I sort of relate to the smart kids who hate school and become stoners instead, although I myself am not a stoner. I'm sort of on the fringe of that group because some of my friends are and some arn't, and I tend to get along with them and enjoy sharing perspectives with them a lot, even if I don't agree with them about some of the more dilusional mushroom-tripping thoughts about aliens and stuff. I guess this isn't part of my identity so much.

I guess my identity doesn't have that much to do with groups, although sometimes I wish I was part of a more specific group, but at the same time their is an advantage in being open to the ideas from all the groups without having to stick to one.

So I guess the only group I identify with is middle class youth -a group that as a whole feels alienated from every other group, hahahahaha.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Hm, Groups...I never was in any, because I was "always too weird for Every1". No matter what it was. So, no Influence from there. But I was fine with it, really. Especially since some Groups were just plain stupid (like drink until you puke or whatever. Dun see any Sense in that).

Today I'd say I belong to the INTJ at least, even tho I am still pretty off for them I guess. I just always am. :D
Oh and I strongly agree to this Part of LucrativeSids Entry
(..)people who are intellectuals/seekers/creators. I feel a sense of connection with those people, even if I don't know them personally.(..)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'd like to feel a connection to other people that believe in Jesus, but so many of them are caught up in their stupid Law/rule following and religion that it's like were in two totally different worlds.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nothing that is outside of me forms any part of my identity.
Maybe that's why I don't like the idea of belonging to groups or organisations.

I would have expected this to be common for introverts.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I think you need to be a tad more specific by group. Social group?Age group?Ethnic group?
There's different criteria for groups.
Nothing that is outside of me forms any part of my identity
I don't agree with that at all. We are influenced by our environment, we're not entirely defined by it but we can't deny the varying degree of influence it has on people.
As a matter of fact here's an example, embracing individualism is common practice in Western culture and isn't where I come from.
Does "Do your own thing!" ring a bell to you? To not conform and rebel is the norm.
Look at universities, they want to know what sets you apart from the rest and what makes you unique, what makes you stand out as an individual.
Nobody would even think of asking this to a student where I come from and maybe even in other cultures.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Heh, reminds me of that line from Invisible Monsters "Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I’ve ever known."

I agree with you. To a degree we cannot BE anything if there is nothing to BE from.

I think you need to be a tad more specific by group. Social group?Age group?Ethnic group?
I don't agree with that at all. We are influenced by our environment, we're not entirely defined by it but we can't deny the varying degree of influence it has on people.
As a matter of fact here's an example, embracing individualism is common practice in Western culture and isn't where I come from.
Does "Do your own thing!" ring a bell to you? To not conform and rebel is the norm.
Look at universities, they want to know what sets you apart from the rest and what makes you unique, what makes you stand out as an individual.
Nobody would even think of asking this to a student where I come from and maybe even in other cultures.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Naturally, environment shapes identity. But once you have absorbed those influences you make them your own. I don't identify with any 'groups' on a conscious level, that is what I meant to say, in response to the OP.

I wasn't raised to believe in individualism (quite the reverse), but I never rebelled either. I don't embrace Western culture. I really don't feel that I belong to anything outside of myself. That is to say, the world could change around me, but it wouldn't change my identity, because I am not invested in the world.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Naturally, environment shapes identity. But once you have absorbed those influences you make them your own.
That's where we have a different point of view then. Makes sense now. If it came from outside to me it's not mine even if I use it, I feel that it's been borrowed. I disassociate lot from things and people in general.
I don't identify with any 'groups' on a conscious level, that is what I meant to say, in response to the OP.
Understood.

I wasn't raised to believe in individualism (quite the reverse), but I never rebelled either.
I don't rebel either, I just watch it's cozy there.
I don't embrace Western culture.
Me neither..bad experiences with many aspects of it.
I really don't feel that I belong to anything outside of myself.
I do :laugh:the confused and lost "My dad works at the UN kids".:DQuite frequent cultural identity loss in here.We feel like we're floating about in the world.
That is to say, the world could change around me, but it wouldn't change my identity, because I am not invested in the world.
So what defines your identity in your opinion?Yourself?Can you really be who you want to be in a heartbeat?
(Not trying to be annoying by nagging with questions I just wanna know because your point of view seems interesting:))