• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you think inside a box?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I was doing some thinking and concluded that I can't think inside a box.

Usually people say that people should take a look at the big picture more often. But I am doing it all the time.

I have to put everything in cosmic context and see how it reacts with other things. As a person I think that nothing can't be fully comprehended without understanding everything. Since everything is/was connected.

If I need to narrow my vision I will not look at cosmic context I will look at global context.
Plus there is a factor of going billions of years up and down every single day. (in my mind)

I can try but I simply can't see things as "they are".

Comments?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
If I do I need to first define the box. I usually don't take the box at face value, I need to see a need for it. If there is a lot of information contained in the box before hand then it's easier to adjust *within*, in that moderately rare case I am content.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you think inside a box?

There is no box.

....more seriously, I can easily "create a box" in my head based on the limitations of the situation, it's basically the same skill as "looking at something through someone else's eyes." I anticipate their assumptions, perspective, education, life experience, whatever else, then climb in the box and look at the world their way.

But really, there is no box.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I was in the military "box" for so many years that I learned to think inside it. Just turn off all your imagination and "what if" scenarios. Go exclusively by the information that is at hand and don't consider any leaps of intuition. That usually produces a cookie-cutter "acceptable" solution. If all else fails, just do what has always been done.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Usually people say that people should take a look at the big picture more often. But I am doing it all the time.

I have to put everything in cosmic context and see how it reacts with other things. As a person I think that nothing can't be fully comprehended without understanding everything. Since everything is/was connected.

If I need to narrow my vision I will not look at cosmic context I will look at global context.
Plus there is a factor of going billions of years up and down every single day. (in my mind)

Comments?
Not only can I think inside a box, I think better, inside a box.
If I have no box, I can't keep my thoughts straight.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Just turn off all your imagination and "what if" scenarios. Go exclusively by the information that is at hand and don't consider any leaps of intuition. That usually produces a cookie-cutter "acceptable" solution. If all else fails, just do what has always been done.
That's how I wrote "A" papers in English class. Quite a painful experience. Quite. My teachers were almost all SJ it seems, absolutely dreadful. The last one was ENFJ, I believe, and what a relief that was. She understood about 90% more of my intent. Show me an INTP English teacher though, and I'll show you the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The thing is, A.O., people who actually think outside the box usually don't use phrases like "Think outside the box!" It is a lie used by conventional thinkers. A lie in the sense that they don't want you to think outside the box, EVER, but it makes them feel smart to say it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a weird sort of way, external parameters allow room for innovation -- like working within the limits. Noting the rules and then noticing what isn't stated in the rules. Not really cheating, but not really following the rules, either. It changes outlooks.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Comments?

As wildcat will say,

What's in a box?
The area enclosed in a two dimensional square? The volume enclosed within a cube?
What are the boundaries? The lines?
No lines. Only what's imagined.
The box is arbitrary.

The "box" is as large or as tiny as you draw it. If you really wanted to, you can define your mind as the box. It's all relative...

All the "box" provide is a point of reference. Some people feel better having landmarks to orientate themselves on a map. You rather use a gyroscope... There's nothing wrong with either method. Both works just fine.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
There are boxes?

I guess I never got the memo... as usual. Ugh.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to play in boxes when I was little.

One day, I might even sleep in one.

T

ThatGirl

That's how I wrote "A" papers in English class. Quite a painful experience. Quite. My teachers were almost all SJ it seems, absolutely dreadful. The last one was ENFJ, I believe, and what a relief that was. She understood about 90% more of my intent. Show me an INTP English teacher though, and I'll show you the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The thing is, A.O., people who actually think outside the box usually don't use phrases like "Think outside the box!" It is a lie used by conventional thinkers. A lie in the sense that they don't want you to think outside the box, EVER, but it makes them feel smart to say it.

I totally get this, I should be writing a paper right now. I think my teacher is an ESFJ so I try to write in more that direction and of course, I'm procrastinating and stumped

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
There are boxes?

I guess I never got the memo... as usual. Ugh.

This is funny! Same here. ;)

I think my ISTJ husband can't see the forest for the trees and I can't see the trees for the forest.

I think most of the way our education system is set up hypnotises people to think within the box, all the while merrily encouraging kids to "think outside the box." Paradox.

Gotta happen though. What would we do without our dutiful and steadfast middle class?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel sorry for the poor box. I want to start a "Save the Box" campaign.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, if I need to do something very quickly.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
why is it that the title of this thread makes me automatically think "can you think with a fox?"

... damn you Dr. Seuss! :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Honestly... Who really could think inside a box ?

boxen-1_DW_Sport_ST_189322g.jpg

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
why is it that the title of this thread makes me automatically think "can you think with a fox?"

... damn you Dr. Seuss! :)

I can't think with a fox,
but I can think of a fox,
or box up a fox?
The boxing fox doth mock! :(

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i hate that term "inside or outside the box". ive never seen its point.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have used word "box" since it seems to be the best one for this topic.

I know that there is no box. It is just that some people find my way of thinking quite strange.
I can focus on something if it must be done that way but what I need is that entire thing makes sense from the perspective of big picture.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have used word "box" since it seems to be the best one for this topic.

I know that there is no box. It is just that some people find my way of thinking quite strange.
I can focus on something if it must be done that way but what I need is that entire thing makes sense from the perspective of big picture.
im completely the same way. i work at wegmans and they are doing this thing called "simplification". basically they are organizing everything in the back room (where i am 90% of the time). so they did the whole simplification thing... and everything the did made no sense at all. they basically got the blueprints to the backroom and said "lets organize and not actually walk into the backroom and check it out for ourselves" and basically without our opinion at all, organized. now everything runs horribly... but woo, its organized. look i love it when companies organize... by asking for our opinion, the people who actually are doing work. all this to say, i dont see the point in the organization and because it doesn't work (not to say that organization itself doesn't work) so i just ignore everything they say lol.