• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

SSRI and cognitive decline

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Before I begin, just wanted to say this is in no way an attack on people who have to take these in order to function. This is just my experience.

Last year in August, I was going through a very difficult time in my life. I visited my abusive family for the first time in almost 10 years for closure, and my long time cat passed away suddenly with cancer. Many people I knew, had passed away. I was starting to have a difficult time functioning without being on the verge of a panic attack, and or suicidal thoughts. So I went and seen a doctor for my depression and they put me on Zoloft. I took this for about 4-5 months. During the time span, I noticed significant changes to my thought processes. It turned off my "anxiety", but my brain didn't know how to function without it. My memory especially, was affected. I was confusing reality, with something I dreamed more than once. I would forget simple tasks, or forget what I came to the store for. My recall, suffered heavily. But hey, it helped with my depression right?

No, not really. It just killed my emotions. I stopped feeling positive, or negative. It was endless apathy, without anxiety. Therefor nothing felt exciting as well. This, combined with my cognitive decline in sharpness, began to bother me more than anything else. I began to miss some of the aspects of my condition, because they helped me function in certain ways better than without it. As the whole 3 days grace song says "Id rather feel pain, than nothing at all", resonates with me. Because without pain, I do not even feel alive. So I tried switching what I was on, to Lexepro, and it turned out to be much better for me. But still, it does the same thing as Zoloft where it fucks with my memory. While it isn't as bad, it does allows for some of my condition to seep through to give me something emotional to work with. I got diagnosed with cPTSD, and probably have PMDD. I will soon be off these SSRI, and hopefully, my memory will come back.

Has anyone else experienced something similar on these drugs?

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
~ Disclaimer that I'm no medical professional ~

This is not at all uncommon. In fact, your psychiatrist would readily communicate to you the potential side effects and ideally ask you to report back on how the medication is affecting you while you're taking it. It's a good idea to communicate such things with your psychiatrist so they can possibly look into giving you different medication, give you extra medication to take along your medication to mitigate the side effects, or work out a new dosage with your current medication. It's very common to be 'numbed' on various antidepressants and different people have different reactions to medications, what works for someone may just worsen someone else, or certain side-effects may show up in one person, but different side-effects may show up in another. Something important is that usually, the psychiatrist(s) prescribing these drugs have (hopefully) weighed the possible negative side-effects against the symptoms of the illness, and decided that the medication is at least worth trying or at least better than the symptoms you are having. Or, more commonly, that the medication is part of of a therapeutic regime where side-effects would be dealt with or you would be working through whatever you're getting medicated for- anxiety, depression, etc.

Your psychiatrist should have told you these things when prescribing drugs. If you do not have a treatment plan / therapy, it may be worth communicating these things if you think something else might work better for you or if the side-effects are too unbearable, or result in things you cannot afford to have to function (eg. loss of focus, excessive fatigue, etc).

EDIT: Oh, and testament to that, Zoloft did the opposite for me- it sharpened my focus, though it wasn't prescribed for depression.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I call them shut up pills because ime they prescribe them like hey take these and shut up. They made my condition worse.

drinking makes the side effects worse btw. :shrug:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mind may have been a bit more sharp before I went on generic zoloft (sertraline), but for me, it was something that drastically changed my life for the better. I suffered with anxiety for decades before trying it. I wish I had tried it much sooner than I did. It's not a cure all by any means, but it has helped me feel much better. And I do still feel just as deeply as I did before I went on it.

Lark

That's interesting, since the memory issues you describe are common to anxiety and depression suffers because their concentration is naturally different, if your concentration is a particular way to begin with it may not be that you have trouble remembering so much forming memories in the first place.

I'm aware of this as I've known bi-polar sufferers who got worried about cognitive decline, even to the point of going to a memory clinic and fearing early onset dementia but it was the memory formation rather than recall which was the issue.

The Cat

Staff member
That's interesting, since the memory issues you describe are common to anxiety and depression suffers because their concentration is naturally different, if your concentration is a particular way to begin with it may not be that you have trouble remembering so much forming memories in the first place.

I'm aware of this as I've known bi-polar sufferers who got worried about cognitive decline, even to the point of going to a memory clinic and fearing early onset dementia but it was the memory formation rather than recall which was the issue.

Good point as well.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i don't feel like my memory is negatively impacted at all. The only thing I notice is that I feel more tired, and maybe there are sexual effects as well. For what it's worth, I take Lexapro and Wellbutrin. Now, I have been on dopamine blockers before to help with sleeplessness, and those definitely make me feel less sharp.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I didn't think I'd been on an SSRI, but from googling information about them just now I realised that I have. I've been on Lovan. I didn't take it for very long on the occassions I took it, so I guess I didn't notice the benefit. I did notice heavy withdrawals if I skipped a dose.

It's interesting that an SSRI would cause memory problems and apathy, since it increases serotonin levels. I would expect it would increase feelings of confidence, productivity and so on.

When I first got on anti-psychotics, I noticed that I was having extreme troubles maintaining thoughts (internal monologues etc.) as well as learning new information. I thought my recreational drug use had damaged my brain irreparably. I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and he told me it was probably a side effect of the medication, though he couldn't be sure. I had a year without anti-psychotics, and found that I was thinking a lot again. So yes it was the medication, and it returned to how I wanted it when I stopped taking them (though I also seemed more unstable once off them, and I guess that's to do with the brain-changes from being on them so long, which would take a while to return to normal).

In general there seem to be mixed opinions amongst people who take psychiatric medications. A lot of it is probably to do with whether the chemicals they're increasing/decreasing in the brain were in fact too low/high, or if the problem was something else. If their method of effectiveness doesn't apply, then the effects would presumably be negative. I've read that when you come off the drug, the effect will be the opposite, so SSRI withdrawal would likely consist of the symptoms of low serotonin. I expect that the brain returns basically to normal after that, although I don't know how long it takes.

I read just now that Zoloft can cause low sodium levels, and low sodium levels can result in "confusion, problems concentrating or thinking, memory problems", so perhaps that was the issue?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't think I'd been on an SSRI, but from googling information about them just now I realised that I have. I've been on Lovan. I didn't take it for very long on the occassions I took it, so I guess I didn't notice the benefit. I did notice heavy withdrawals if I skipped a dose.

It's interesting that an SSRI would cause memory problems and apathy, since it increases serotonin levels. I would expect it would increase feelings of confidence, productivity and so on.

When I first got on anti-psychotics, I noticed that I was having extreme troubles maintaining thoughts (internal monologues etc.) as well as learning new information. I thought my recreational drug use had damaged my brain irreparably. I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and he told me it was probably a side effect of the medication, though he couldn't be sure. I had a year without anti-psychotics, and found that I was thinking a lot again. So yes it was the medication, and it returned to how I wanted it when I stopped taking them (though I also seemed more unstable once off them, and I guess that's to do with the brain-changes from being on them so long, which would take a while to return to normal).

In general there seem to be mixed opinions amongst people who take psychiatric medications. A lot of it is probably to do with whether the chemicals they're increasing/decreasing in the brain were in fact too low/high, or if the problem was something else. If their method of effectiveness doesn't apply, then the effects would presumably be negative. I've read that when you come off the drug, the effect will be the opposite, so SSRI withdrawal would likely consist of the symptoms of low serotonin. I expect that the brain returns basically to normal after that, although I don't know how long it takes.

I read just now that Zoloft can cause low sodium levels, and low sodium levels can result in "confusion, problems concentrating or thinking, memory problems", so perhaps that was the issue?

Im not sure on low sodium, since my diet contains copious amounts. I think this thread kinda proves how different neuro-chemistry varies by individual. I believe I am far too "disassociated" for certain drugs to affect my mind beyond memory. I do believe a lot of memory is formed in the emotional part of the brain, and an ssri might make it go elsewhere or not at all. Either way, its interesting.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Im not sure on low sodium, since my diet contains copious amounts. I think this thread kinda proves how different neuro-chemistry varies by individual. I believe I am far too "disassociated" for certain drugs to affect my mind beyond memory. I do believe a lot of memory is formed in the emotional part of the brain, and an ssri might make it go elsewhere or not at all. Either way, its interesting.

Well yeah, it's probably not the sodium then. Side-effect lists given for medications often miss a lot. When I look at the side-effect list of anti-psychotics, there's a lot of the possible physical effects, but not that much of the psychological effects which I'm clearly experiencing as a result of the medication. Perhaps it's because these are more difficult to describe and measure.

Disassociation and memory are related in a kind of inverse way, as far as I understand it. Being disassociated will likely interfere with memory formation. Some people are naturally quite disassociation prone, whereas for others it indicates more of an issue. I don't know which it would be for you. Recall - perhaps not everything to do with recall - is related to Si, so by the sounds of it, the SSRI made your Si harder to use. I don't know quite how that would be interpreted, because it's a type dependent thing, and I don't have a set opinion of what type you are, but that's what it sounds like.

I'm trying to figure out the association between neurotransmitters and cognitive functions recently, but I only have a few pieces so far.

So: I think the SSRI is probably changing the balance of neurotransmitters in a way which reduces your ability to use Si, and that may be type related.

I couldn't find any information when I quickly googled it earlier, regarding the difference between Zoloft and Lexapro on neurotransmitters. They both increase serotonin, but probably do other things as well, and maybe increase serotonin differently.

This is a relevant topic to me, because due to a recent medication change, as well as a reduction in stress, my serotonin levels have been increasing over the past few months and will continue to increase. Some other neurotransmitters are effected as well, but it seems that there are like... 4 factors that are going to increase serotonin, from way below baseline, to way above baseline. I don't think I was technically depressed last year, but I had signs of it, which have been going away. Supposedly I'm more "animated" (correlating with extroversion).

I think the changes I am experiencing are predominantly positive, since it is an elimination of one of the major stressors in my life (forced anti-psychotics), but I'll have to wait and see what the downsides of too much serotonin are.

The drug (?) I'm on now is Lithium, which has been described as having a dampening effect on emotions, similar to what you describe, but anti-psychotics do that too (e.g. when coming off anti-psychotics I tend to cry a lot, after perhaps not crying in literally a year), so I haven't noticed that particular effect. I wouldn't want my emotions to be dampened, since that to me is an integral part of life, but I suppose that if emotions need to be put under control to deal with things better, a drug which reduces emotion could be useful.

Oh, and there's Evanescence - Lithium, about not wanting to lose your emotions, even if they are painful.

But yeah... it's too difficult for me to know what Lithium does, because I'm going on it at the same time as coming off anti-psychotics. It's hard to tell what is causing what, and there's a lot more to it than just the chemicals, but things are certainly looking up.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I call them shut up pills because ime they prescribe them like hey take these and shut up. They made my condition worse.

drinking makes the side effects worse btw. :shrug:

Just wanted to add a bit on the drinking while taking SSRI. Is that they make it far more difficult to resist temptation/make you impulsive. At least in my experience. I was trying to quit drinking before I got on these, but any sense of willpower I had was magically erased with SSRI. I also found myself gambling more as well. As if my brain suddenly got an intense desire to abuse my reward system, with no regard to the consequences.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Just wanted to add a bit on the drinking while taking SSRI. Is that they make it far more difficult to resist temptation/make you impulsive. At least in my experience. I was trying to quit drinking before I got on these, but any sense of willpower I had was magically erased with SSRI. I also found myself gambling more as well. As if my brain suddenly got an intense desire to abuse my reward system, with no regard to the consequences.

I've been drinking way more since I started on Lithium, though I don't know if there's a direct causal connection.

I can only guess it's the serotonin increase, but why does serotonin make me want an even greater serotonin increase?

Mind boggling.

The Cat

Staff member

Your experience was different than my own.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Medications (prescribed for psychology or not) can interact with certain substances. I had to limit my coffee intake while taking certain medications because caffeine would boost their effects. (If you want to know, I readily conceded because the medications did for me what caffeine also did for me anyway)

I wonder if what it did was remove the depressive/anxious limitations of your brain and restored it to a more 'natural' mode of functioning, or if the impulsivity is a symptom of the medicine itself. The former is possible- it has been known for some depressives/anxious folk starting medication to suddenly be more energetic or impulsive, sometimes even in a more destructive manner, because they suddenly have the energy that they previously did not before, as well as a vitas that was previously dampened, before they started their medications. (this is why communicating with the psychiatrist is crucial)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Honestly, I think I am going to stop taking the medication for a while when I am done with my perscription. I learned a lot of coping mechanisms for my specific problems, and I want to try using them without the help of meds. Maybe both of my issues will go away.

And yeah, I think that is what ahppened [MENTION=35920]Earl Grey[/MENTION] my inhibitions from anxiety allowed me to function better. I have never really felt like an introvert entirely for example. The meds, when I first took them, made me explode with social energy to the point my mind couldn't adapt fast enough. Then I ended up crashing more than once due to stretching myself too thin mentally and physically. But it has settled down now, and I feel more level. I know how much energy I have. I am aware that interacting with people irl keeps me from drowning in ruminations. Etc.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Honestly, I think I am going to stop taking the medication for a while when I am done with my perscription. I learned a lot of coping mechanisms for my specific problems, and I want to try using them without the help of meds. Maybe both of my issues will go away.

Communicate this to your psychiatrist as well, your plans as well as your reasonings. You can still choose to go off it (the choice is ultimately yours, unless you are a danger to yourself/whatever etc factors that apply to where you are), but if you communicate, this helps in two ways:

1) Your psychiatrist can tell you what to expect when weaning off the medication, and even instruct you how to do so, say by lowering the dosage or making other adjustments. Some medications are not supposed to be dropped cold turkey.
2) If you do return to taking the medication, or others, your psychiatrist will already know what you had tried and and works and doesn't, as well as how well you are faring and how far you have developed, and what issues are most prominent. This simplifies any further proceedings with your psychiatrist.

And yeah, I think that is what ahppened @/Earl Grey my inhibitions from anxiety allowed me to function better. I have never really felt like an introvert entirely for example. The meds, when I first took them, made me explode with social energy to the point my mind couldn't adapt fast enough. Then I ended up crashing more than once due to stretching myself too thin mentally and physically. But it has settled down now, and I feel more level. I know how much energy I have. I am aware that interacting with people irl keeps me from drowning in ruminations. Etc.

Possible. Only your doctor can know for sure. Usually, upon taking a new medication, there is an adjustment period of around 2-6 weeks that varies depending on the medication, the dosage, and well as the patient themselves, after which a patient usually (hopefully, especially if the medication was a right pick for them) 'evens out'. It is an adaptive period, it looks like you are familiar enough with it and are capable of using it to your advantage. Keep notes of the things you learned and how you have been faring, changes if any, during and after you wean off your medication. I hope it goes well.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had extremely bad Social Anxiety Disorder (still do) and prescribed SSRIs. First, I was on Lexapro for a few months. It was ok but I had trouble speaking (slurred speech), so talking sometimes was a concentrated effort. My depression had gotten worse so I stopped taking it. A bit later I was prescribed 200mg daily of Sertraline (Zoloft). People say they saw an improvement in my demeanor, but overtime, I felt numb like I did when on Lexapro. I didn't become suicidal but I kept pondering "there's nothing out there for me." I no longer take it, but still have a decent supply. It's been around a year since I stopped taking it, but I am wondering about going back on Zoloft and playing with the dosage to see if things might work out better.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
For an alternative perspective on SSRIs, you guys may want to read The Emperor's New Drugs by Irving Kirsch. Mr. Kirsch contends that SSRIs work via the placebo effect; basically, you'd get the same results but without all the side effects if your doctor just prescibed sugar pills.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For an alternative perspective on SSRIs, you guys may want to read The Emperor's New Drugs by Irving Kirsch. Mr. Kirsch contends that SSRIs work via the placebo effect; basically, you'd get the same results but without all the side effects if your doctor just prescibed sugar pills.

I wish doctors had a way to prescribe sugar pills without telling me. I read studies sometimes and think, "they got 3.4% better from just thinking they were given something? I'd take that."

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been on antidepressants for about 9 years. Started with Zoloft and now currently on Zoloft and Wellbutrin. My cognitive decline started at the onset of my first severe depressive episode and I've never really got back to where I was at before that but the Wellbutrin does offset a good amount of it IME. The only thing that really messed with my memory specifically was Xanax. But like, I'm in my 30s now so I'm not holding my breath for being able to ever function like I did in my teens. I'm somewhat satisfied with the balance I have now even though I still have my fair share of anxiety. From what I have heard, the majority of people don't respond the best to the first treatment they are put on. Takes a lot of experimentation.