• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you find yourself thinking of death often?

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't mean this in the sense of a death wish, but more just as a concept to be fascinated by. I've always been intrigued by the morbid side of things, from TV shows to books. Can't get enough, I guess. How about you?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think of it often.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you have any examples off the top of your head? I'm presuming you mean something more recreational as opposed to thinking about death in a more serious, psychiatric way.
I'm not conveying I'm suicidal if that is what you mean.

I have two family members in the process of dying, and I used to have a job playing music for people while they die, and I've had various people I've known die. Throughout my life I've felt a connection to people after they died. I once thought I saw the process of dying and going to the other side. It felt peaceful an right. I don't have a structured belief about where people go when they die, but have just felt connections after it happened enough that it seems like perhaps they are somewhere. I wonder about it all philosophically, but am somehow alright not understanding everything definitively. I think it has helped to perceive what is there by not having inner constructs about it. I don't really fear death like I used to fear it. I think it is interesting, but I don't have anything structured or definitive to say about it.

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm not conveying I'm suicidal if that is what you mean.

I have two family members in the process of dying, and I used to have a job playing music for people while they die, and I've had various people I've known die. Throughout my life I've felt a connection to people after they died. I once thought I saw the process of dying and going to the other side. It felt peaceful an right. I don't have a structured belief about where people go when they die, but have just felt connections after it happened enough that it seems like perhaps they are somewhere. I wonder about it all philosophically, but am somehow alright not understanding everything definitively. I think it has helped to perceive what is there by not having inner constructs about it. I don't really fear death like I used to fear it. I think it is interesting, but I don't have anything structured or definitive to say about it.

That's interesting, keeping the perspective unstructured/vague.

Does thinking about death, even in an unstructured sense, often cause you to search out that theme or related themes in media? I think it does for me, and I'm wondering if there are others here that might experience it similarly.

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sometimes I try to imagine how death would be felt, but I quickly remember that there's no way to imagine this, that you might cease to exist at some point, and I give up trying. Those thoughts aren't comfortable at all.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I think about death I get too much anxiety about all the what if should haves and all so I try not to.

I don't know if this applies, but I am often curious about cold cases and murders. XD

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do. I have a bit of interest in ghosts, though my mom was the real ghost nut(she loved paranormal shows). There's something that keeps fascinating me though-she would keep seeing the same two ghosts at night, a couple from the 1950s. I recall the woman was wearing a long dress with an apron and her hair was up in a bun. They weren't very friendly ghosts either. I never saw them myself, but it's interesting to think that my old trailer could have been haunted.

I've read up a lot of near-death experiences; it's interesting hearing stories about being out of your body or how people see colors that we've never seen. No matter what I believe, reading different takes on the afterlife is fascinating. The Wiccan one fascinates me especially-being reincarnated until you are ready to be sent to Summerland. Reincarnated so you can learn something-like if you made fun of someone's big ears in this, you'll get big ears in your new life.

Then there's just plain old fear. Even in my darkest hours, death just scares me, how everything could end in the flip of a switch. So yeah, I worry about dying a lot. O.O

I do like morbid stuff in general-I don't do actual horror movies, but I enjoy the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared/Noseybonk sort of obscure territory. I like a good tear jerking anime too.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do. I have a bit of interest in ghosts, though my mom was the real ghost nut(she loved paranormal shows). There's something that keeps fascinating me though-she would keep seeing the same two ghosts at night, a couple from the 1950s. I recall the woman was wearing a long dress with an apron and her hair was up in a bun. They weren't very friendly ghosts either. I never saw them myself, but it's interesting to think that my old trailer could have been haunted.

I've read up a lot of near-death experiences; it's interesting hearing stories about being out of your body or how people see colors that we've never seen. No matter what I believe, reading different takes on the afterlife is fascinating. The Wiccan one fascinates me especially-being reincarnated until you are ready to be sent to Summerland. Reincarnated so you can learn something-like if you made fun of someone's big ears in this, you'll get big ears in your new life.

Then there's just plain old fear. Even in my darkest hours, death just scares me, how everything could end in the flip of a switch. So yeah, I worry about dying a lot. O.O

I do like morbid stuff in general-I don't do actual horror movies, but I enjoy the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared/Noseybonk sort of obscure territory. I like a good tear jerking anime too.

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared was a...very interesting webseries.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always wanted to do a road trip with a buddy where you stay in haunted hotels and other sites. There are many such rumored sites in the Southwest and I had a boyfriend at the time with a big plan to do it, but we never did. I still think it would be interesting. I'll bet the northeast U.S. is another good location for many sites rumored to be haunted. I would absolutely do that because I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Somewhat yes. This story may give more detail. I have a memory for an event that happened in my secondary school. I was a newly moved student with no friend and I noticed that there was another. We engaged in a game. I would call it a pen racing game. The game description, to put it simply, is like its name, is to try to race from the starting point until one contestant make it to the finish line.
How did we play it?
First, We drew a circuit on a piece of paper. After it was finished, we put the pen point on the circuit drawn. We took hold of the pen using index finger at the back of the pen.
We took turn to slide our pen. The pen slide left a mark. The path marked by our pen became the latest position of our imaginary racing vehicle. The one who finished first won the game.
I realized that What is related to the death in this game is rather symbolic to me. We agreed to give a name of our imaginary racing vehicle and I gave the name of mine: "Cranium Jet" but I forgot what his was. I may have imagined that my racing vehicle equipped with a jet engine that made it very fast in speed. We played more than one game, and drew more than one circuits as far as I can remember. Recalling the memory, What surprised me the word cranium is not a word that I had looked up in dictionary but I somehow the meaning I managed to conceive while English is not my first language.

I believe the word cranium symbolically associated with death.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From a personal point of view, I think about death more because I'm getting closer now, and so I have to also think about my life and what I have accomplished (or not).

Death itself was always intriguing simply because it's a mystery. So I've always been into the supernatural and religious aspects, what is beyond death if anything (haven't really found a satisfying answer), learning the various ways different cultures have viewed it. I also have always been into crime documentaries and books, although forensics and detective work is more about solving a mystery out of respect and giving something back to the dead. The darkness and mystery has never really bothered me. To me it is just another topic that's kind of fascinating simply because it is taboo and some people are scared of it.

Do I set around and think about death much? Generally more in the philosophical way -- without death, we know everything and we are not motivated by exterior forces to do anything. I think death is a boundary beyond which we know little or nothing, and so it motivates us to act in the realms we ARE aware of because our time is (from a universal perspective) so short. It drives us to create and dream and pursue, because inevitably everything ends for us. And sometimes the ending feels natural and even merciful, if we've had a painful life or have felt like we have accomplished what we most desired, and now we're leaving room for others to explore their own stories.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it about it every day since you put the thread up.

I enjoy it in entertainment sometimes. I don't like it as a regular thing though. My husband likes Criminal Minds. I don't like that someone dies every episode. I could do without that. Deaths need to be built up to mean something. There was a poignant death in The Beach. That's a morbid movie. You ever seen it?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It puts me in mind of understanding the nature of reality. Physicists say that time is an illusion, and the Buddhists say that separateness is an illusion. I wonder about this when we have a sense of those who have passed on.

I have one spooky "ghost" story, even though I don't typically feel much fear about it in general. I was alone in my relatives' house one weekend which is located by a river. I had an overwhelming fear of intrusion, although it wasn't clear if there was an intruder or if I was the intruder. It ended up feeling like I was the intruder, so I tried to sense where that was coming from and I could feel an entity that I hadn't felt before. I described that I was alone with my cats and didn't have any place to go. I asked if I could help them, and I couldn't tell any response, but there was antagonism and resistance towards me. I had some of that spooked up feeling, but knew there wasn't anything I could do, so just went to bed. Early in the morning I woke up and felt a face looking directly into mine like it was studying me, and it disturbed me. I kept asking if I could help. At other times I would get a wave of panic if I was in the tub and had my head near the water like a sudden awareness of the terror of drowning.

When my relatives got home I asked about the history of the river and if there had been any deaths near their property. They did have a friend who was drowned about ten years ago, and the region was a source of bitter conflict between the settlers and indigenous populations. Intrusion was a common feeling in that location. I wonder if what I perceived was a sense of non-linear time.

I think there is an aspect to death that feels non-linear. Like after you die you have pure awareness without the constraints of linear time.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I grew up with a religious nut of a dad and a very spiritual mom + it's Buddhism no less, and in Buddhism you're taught a lot about various non-self concepts including things like your life being one among many cycles, karma, and non-attachment. A Buddhist story my dad brought up when I was younger was that of a woman who had lost her son but took it with what the uninitiated would register as apathy, but he says was wisdom due to the understanding of the cycle of life and the implementation of non-attachment, to the self or others. Emptiness, clear your mind.

I was told from a young age about the cycle of life and death and thus was quite desensitized to it for a child, and now that I know more about life and death itself on a more 'scientific' level (as opposed to it being a flowery or karmic concept) I find that having had an awareness of an 'ending' from a young age has made me regard death more calmly than I see my peers do- news of death is not shocking or saddening, especially if I don't know the person (or even if I know the person). There is no dark morbidity or fascination, just nature, like watching the sun rise and set. Most people probably reach that point in their life, I was just exposed to it much earlier. My brother is the same. I don't actively consume or pursue the media, but it is a happening of life as much as living, eating, or doing whatever else, just one with a very permanent outcome.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it about it every day since you put the thread up.

I enjoy it in entertainment sometimes. I don't like it as a regular thing though. My husband likes Criminal Minds. I don't like that someone dies every episode. I could do without that. Deaths need to be built up to mean something. There was a poignant death in The Beach. That's a morbid movie. You ever seen it?

I have always been turned off by criminal minds because they're a bit more graphic and detailed on the death stuff than other ones. My snippet of criminal minds was someone burying a woman in rocks and you could hear her crying in distress. I can't unsee it even now. Good enough for me not to tune in.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think about it a lot, as well as the purpose of life. Not meaning, but why life exists to begin with. It seems so strange, and unusual if you think about it. Then I start thinking about dimensions, cycles, fractals. Etc. If life and death is a cycle, existance and non-existance etc. Then there has to be something on the other side.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I used to, but rarely anymore.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Outside of planning for it (life insurance, other practical matters), no not very often.