• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Burnout

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I heard that it isn't being overworked that burns people put, but too often being prevented from finishing the work that they start.

Is this true? What does it mean?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure how to ‘verify’ if that’s true, but it makes sense. People tend to be more motivated if there’s an end in sight, where they know both a break is coming *and* they feel more accomplished. There’s more of a direct sense of purpose in what they do every day, that is energizing/fulfilling.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, burnout can occur when I feel I am powerless in a vortex of what I view as dumb expectations/ a system or culture I either have to assimilate with or sink into burnout and resentment and perhaps leave if I can't emotionally assimilate or come to terms with it. For me it's more associated with lack of control and not really wanting to have to do what I know is expected of me/comes with the territory.

Per OP, this can be tied to a sense of futility or pointlessness; maybe too a lack of being or feeling appreciated.

á´…eparted

passages
Occupational burnout is a specific syndrome that is quite well studied, and is an area of ongoing study. It is more or less a manifestation of chronic stress, and is not caused by any one specific thing, but of a cluster of circumstances and individual factors.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Occupational burnout is a specific syndrome that is quite well studied, and is an area of ongoing study. It is more or less a manifestation of chronic stress, and is not caused by any one specific thing, but of a cluster of circumstances and individual factors.

Thank you for the link to that article!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I heard that it isn't being overworked that burns people put, but too often being prevented from finishing the work that they start.

The article that isoprene linked in post #4 is very good and explains a lot of the symptoms of burnout, touching also on the causes. This is a quote from the article: "Maslach, Schaufeli and Leiter identified six risk factors for burnout: mismatch in workload, mismatch in control, lack of appropriate awards, loss of a sense of positive connection with others in the workplace, perceived lack of fairness, and conflict between values".
It's possible that what you stated as a possible cause could perhaps be called "mismatch in control" or "conflict between values".

The first thing that popped into my head though was that, personality-wise, "...being prevented from finishing the work that they start" seems like it would most apply to people who are driven to finish things.

In my reading over the years, I have read that some types tend to be starters and some tend to be finishers. I would think that types who tend to be starters wouldn't be bothered by not being able to finish.

Lark

It never seems to happen in well managed workplaces.

I've become inclined to believe that occupational burnout is generally just victim blaming in the workplace, its also usually concentrated within clusters of people who are considered as dispensable or expendable, ie devalued as employees and sometimes people, who're pretty powerless into the bargain.

In relation to this kind of discussion, something I find interesting, is that if you look at the organisational theory of bureaucratic societies as perceived by supposedly non-bureaucratic ones during the Cold War the problems where all conceived as intrinsic, structural, arising from information problems, calculation and management fails through expediency and short term (managerial) careerism.

In "the west" most of that "hard thinking" was avoided, considered typical only of communists or whatever, and instead you got a lot of research into so called burnout. Or as a friend of mine put it once, "shite runs down hill", its a farming analogy about how fertilizer spread on a field will roll and gather at the lowest point. Most of the time I'd say that individuals are often "torched" as opposed to being "burned out". Its a planned thing most of the time, through deliberate neglect of good management, or any management sometimes. Seriously, there's a lot of people who still believe that management is an exercise in intimidation or very basic coercion.

If you contrast those studies with the Dunning-Kreuger ones, for instance, or some of the follow ups which looked at the US Navy's management (lampooned in stuff like Up Periscope) you'll get the idea. Those studies where the closest that "the west" ever got to admitting to itself that something was not right and it may not simply be a matter of some vagary about individual "resilience" being "spent".

Lark

The article that isoprene linked in post #4 is very good and explains a lot of the symptoms of burnout, touching also on the causes. This is a quote from the article: "Maslach, Schaufeli and Leiter identified six risk factors for burnout: mismatch in workload, mismatch in control, lack of appropriate awards, loss of a sense of positive connection with others in the workplace, perceived lack of fairness, and conflict between values".
It's possible that what you stated as a possible cause could perhaps be called "mismatch in control" or "conflict between values".

The first thing that popped into my head though was that, personality-wise, "...being prevented from finishing the work that they start" seems like it would most apply to people who are driven to finish things.

In my reading over the years, I have read that some types tend to be starters and some tend to be finishers. I would think that types who tend to be starters wouldn't be bothered by not being able to finish.

Plus you get a lot of bluffers too who'll appear like starters at first glance, unable or unwilling to finish projects because they arent that interested in the project itself, only in so far as it's liable to provide them with a profile, or whatever other way they define personal success. This can get particularly bad if the role of management is pretty divorced from production, profession, task or whatever and becomes a "thing of itself, by itself".

Although the idea that everyone wants to "build" and no one wants to "maintain" has been around for a long, long time, people have built up complete political careers on that basis, either being all for innovation or all for tradition, depending on what's the fashion at the time.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Maslach, Schaufeli and Leiter identified six risk factors for burnout: mismatch in workload, mismatch in control, lack of appropriate awards, loss of a sense of positive connection with others in the workplace, perceived lack of fairness, and conflict between values".

These are great observations. I feel a little burned out at the moment because I haven't had enough face to face interaction with people at work which seems to be something I need. I also havent had that recent infusion of achievement over the last two months . I need the collaboration, ideation, problem solving, and achieved outcomes that face to face teaming involves. I thrive on face to face interaction because it helps me understand what people are thinking and feeling. I am dreading the current pandemic because I am basically going to be working out of my home for the next two months at least and am concerned I wont accomplish enough. I am reminded of another member that referred to her job as "soul sucking". Its a real risk if we cant spend 10 to 20 percent of our time doing stuff that energizes us.

I'm a strong believer that there are certain things we do that energize us and we need enough of an infusion of those things day to day to keep us motivated and inspired. Its different for everyone.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welcome to adulthood, you'll be here the rest of your life.

I am always burnt out, because I am always under a lot of stress. I have been so my whole life, to the point that I get depressed when I am relaxed. I have to be stressing about something, otherwise it triggers my anxiety. That anxiety is centered around perfectionism, and I ruminate constantly on it. So i literally burn myself out by building mental lists in my head of all the things I need to do. I overwhelm myself in about 1 hour without a distraction. I get exhausted in realizing the sheer effort that it would take to do everything. So I end up not doing it, and feeling like shit. Rinse and repeat.

At work, I have two modes. Work mode, or distraction mode. Work is pretty satisfying in of itself. I do professional detailing. So there is a start, and finish. You can see the work you accomplish, and my boss is cool AF. I get along with everyone. But if its dead, I need something to do. Thats why I am usually phone posting on here to distract myself. Or play games etc... but sometimes the distractions don't work. I can use up all my mental energy. My mental energy is pretty limited, as its generally used up in just functioning. If that happens, I can get super aggressive, suicidal, physical, and overall feel like bashing my head against the wall because the feeling of mental exhaustion, and your anxiety causing havoc in your consciousness makes you feel like you should have dropped dead already.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am always burnt out, because I am always under a lot of stress. I have been so my whole life, to the point that I get depressed when I am relaxed. I have to be stressing about something, otherwise it triggers my anxiety. That anxiety is centered around perfectionism, and I ruminate constantly on it. So i literally burn myself out by building mental lists in my head of all the things I need to do. I overwhelm myself in about 1 hour without a distraction. I get exhausted in realizing the sheer effort that it would take to do everything. So I end up not doing it, and feeling like shit. Rinse and repeat.

At work, I have two modes. Work mode, or distraction mode. Work is pretty satisfying in of itself. I do professional detailing. So there is a start, and finish. You can see the work you accomplish, and my boss is cool AF. I get along with everyone. But if its dead, I need something to do. Thats why I am usually phone posting on here to distract myself. Or play games etc... but sometimes the distractions don't work. I can use up all my mental energy. My mental energy is pretty limited, as its generally used up in just functioning. If that happens, I can get super aggressive, suicidal, physical, and overall feel like bashing my head against the wall because the feeling of mental exhaustion, and your anxiety causing havoc in your consciousness makes you feel like you should have dropped dead already.

I totally get a lot of this. I have always felt like I thrive on stress. The issue is that it has long term consequences. I'm also am a perfectionist and prone to a bit of anxiety. These are all things that motivate me though. I can alternately be driven and distracted so am fascinated by what you say there. In either case, these flaws or characteristics have driven me to be quite successful in my career and financially. I have been very depressed at one point but not as much suicidal. Actually I have not experienced anything like the last bit of your post so we are different there

I think the times you are distracted can be channeled towards things that are more productive. Learning is a good example . I recently got a cloud security certification. Maybe rethink what you can do at these times.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I totally get a lot of this. I have always felt like I thrive on stress. The issue is that it has long term consequences. I'm also am a perfectionist and prone to a bit of anxiety. These are all things that motivate me though. I can alternately be driven and distracted so am fascinated by what you say there. In either case, these flaws or characteristics have driven me to be quite successful in my career and financially. I have been very depressed at one point but not as much suicidal. Actually I have not experienced anything like the last bit of your post so we are different there

I think the times you are distracted can be channeled towards things that are more productive. Learning is a good example . I recently got a cloud security certification. Maybe rethink what you can do at these times.

Yeah, I can sometimes channel the energy. Sometimes the stars align, and I channel enough energy to merge/obsess with the subject of interest. Othertimes I've learned to autopilot, and that sometimes creates more energy and interest. I am actually successful in all the jobs I have had as well. As I can not only handle high stress enviroments, I can handle complex jobs at the same time. Which are both physically and mentally taxing. But one side effect is I cut off all energy from unnecessary things like small talk, being nice etc. Lol

My therapist suggested a similar thing about distracting (I used to do a lot of duolingo). I usually do chores now though, or try to. My energy and motivation is very erratic. The feeling I described is like. Imagine if you have not slept in days, you really want to sleep, but your in the middle of nowhere and its all sharp and pointy rocks. So you keep walking, so you can find a place where you can actually sleep. Like your consciousness is trying to stop existing. But you never find it. It drives you fucking nuts.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I can sometimes channel the energy. Sometimes the stars align, and I channel enough energy to merge/obsess with the subject of interest. Othertimes I've learned to autopilot, and that sometimes creates more energy and interest. I am actually successful in all the jobs I have had as well. As I can not only handle high stress enviroments, I can handle complex jobs at the same time. Which are both physically and mentally taxing. But one side effect is I cut off all energy from unnecessary things like small talk, being nice etc. Lol My therapist suggested a similar thing about distracting (I used to do a lot of duolingo). I usually do chores now though, or try to. My energy and motivation is very erratic. The feeling I described is like. Imagine if you have not slept in days, you really want to sleep, but your in the middle of nowhere and its all sharp and pointy rocks. So you keep walking, so you can find a place where you can actually sleep. Like your consciousness is trying to stop existing. But you never find it. It drives you fucking nuts.
I have never had a situation where I have not slept for days - at least since college during finals where I started to see blue spots:) .Sorry I don't identify with the latter part of what you are saying. Wish I could help more .

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
[…] I can use up all my mental energy. My mental energy is pretty limited, as its generally used up in just functioning. If that happens, I can get super aggressive, suicidal, physical, and overall feel like bashing my head against the wall because the feeling of mental exhaustion, and your anxiety causing havoc in your consciousness makes you feel like you should have dropped dead already.

I totally get a lot of this. I have always felt like I thrive on stress. The issue is that it has long term consequences. I'm also am a perfectionist and prone to a bit of anxiety. […]

I think Kahneman has a good explanation for this stuff in his book "Thinking, Fast & Slow." (I've talked about the book in past threads. Kahneman is a psychologist who was awarded a Nobel Prize for ground-breaking work on how our brain works and makes decisions, etc.)

To oversimplify:

Kahneman divides up the brain into two distinct functions: System 1 and System 2. (Corresponds roughly to "Right brain" and "Left brain" in common parlance.)

System 1 is automatic & emotional, works on the basis of associative memory, "continually constructs a coherent interpretation of what is going on in our world at any instant," consists of automatic and often unconscious processes. (p. 13) It's impulsive and intuitive. (p 48) It's your self-chatter and your spatial and situational awareness and your instinctual reactions to the world around you.

System 2 is controlled, slower, more deliberative, more logical. Capable of reasoning and cautious, but also lazy. The center for language and rational thought. Also the center for your executive functions: Attention and focus.

Here's the big difference between the two:
--System 1 is an auto-function that requires little or no energy. It's always cranking along at full speed as long as you're conscious, and it never tires or takes a break.
--By comparison, System 2 is a massive energy hog. When you use it, it burns down energy fast. And once it becomes depleted, it shuts down. Once it becomes depleted, you feel exhausted, burnt out, and spent. You find it difficult to focus on anything.

So the ideal is to rely on System 1 as much as possible, and use System 2 sparingly. For example, trust your emotions and gut instincts for routine work and functions during the day. But when System 1 starts going awry (for example, your emotions start spinning out of control and you get paranoid, or you require some heavy intellectual work), then jump in with System 2 and use it to bring your emotions back under control or for focus and attention. Once that's done, stop using System 2 and go back to relying on System 1 for routine work.

That's the healthy way to do things: Use System 1 for routine stuff, because it's essentially a "free ride" in terms of energy usage. And then use System 2 sparingly and mainly for making course corrections, because it's an energy hog; if you overuse System 2, you'll burn out and get tired.

The problem is that people start overusing System 2 in their daily functioning. (Since System 2 contains more of your conscious functions, your ego tends to associate itself with System 2 and overuse it.) That works for a while, but stores of energy available for System 2 are limited. When System 2 starts crashing, your executive functions start breaking down. Meantime, System 1 is still up and operative just like usual, but it starts spinning out of control without System 2 to act as a corrective.

From my notes on Kahneman's book:

--System 2 self-control becomes depleted over time or repeated applications. "If you have had to force yourself to do something, you are less willing or less able to exert self-control when the next challenge comes around. The phenomenon has been named ego depletion." (p. 41-2) Basically this is why healthy habits break down under stress. When working hard on a task, people lose self-control as a result of mental exhaustion, resulting in everything from breaking diets to reacting aggressively to others to giving in on other types of temptations. (p. 42)

Kahneman talks at length about exhaustion of self-control (ego-depletion) and its relation to blood glucose levels. High levels of self-control burn down glucose levels, resulting in poor self-control; and self-control can be restored by intaking sugar. Hence a lot of sugar consumption in those who do a lot of intellectual work. But of course that's not good for your health over the long-term. Meantime, tests show that people tend to make poorer decisions when they are hungry and tired, in the sense that there is little System 2 self-control left and thus an inability to maintain System 2 cognitive load and monitoring, so they revert to their System 1 defaults (p. 43-4).

To sum up: The healthy way to do things is to use System 1 for routine stuff, because it's essentially free in terms of energy usage. And then use System 2 sparingly and mainly for making course corrections, because it's an energy hog; if you overuse it, you'll burn out and get tired. Meantime, if you're going to do tasks that require a lot of System 2 thought, then do them in the morning when your energy levels are highest. Save the routine stuff (System 1 stuff) for the afternoon, when you're tired. Also, when you're using System 2 on a regular or heavy basis, then do things that replenish System 2 in sensible ways: Give System 2 frequent breaks via diversions (get up and do a few jumping jacks or take a short walk at good stopping points), take rest breaks, do a routine System 1 task or errand to give System 2 a break, eat healthy food at lunch to get your blood sugar back up a bit, enjoy some entertainment or chat with a friend as a break, etc.

Yeah, I can sometimes channel the energy. Sometimes the stars align, and I channel enough energy to merge/obsess with the subject of interest. [...]

That's the psychological concept of "flow." The concept of "flow" is an exception to the rule about energy depletion in the use of System 2. But that basically happens when you learn an intellectual subject so well that it essentially becomes part of System 1. For example: A long-time chess-player who is playing an intellectually demanding but also entertaining chess game often enters a state of "flow" as part of the game. At such times, he's basically working "from the gut," using System 1 instincts.

System 1 doesn't tax your energy supplies (it's a "free ride" in terms of energy usage), so "flow" is experienced as pleasurable: You're productive at some kind of intellectual endeavor, but there's no strain or depletion of energy occurring. Best of both worlds.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Story of my life, I'm basically that burnout gifted kid. When I was a kid, people were saying I was the smartest kid in class and I was put in the gifted and talented program and such. Then over time, I just lost my mojo. In high school, I would still try to take honors classes even though I wasn't that honor student any more because I was so caught up in that former label and wanted to live up to it. I figured, if I could do it once I could do it again. But yeah, fate made me grow up to be perfectly average. I guess it's some family curse, because it happened to my parents too. But yeah, it was just a downward of spiral of simple lack of skill, mental health problems, and self hatred. Technically, my flaws were still present in elementary school(lack of organization), they just didn't really hurt me until later in life. As an adult now, I feel like I'm so burnout that I don't care anymore. It's actually kind of a good thing as I've cared less about impressing people, but I don't know what I want to do with my life most of the time.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
I am not sure if I completely understand the question... But there can be multiple causes. Though I can't really grasp how not being able to finish your work can cause someone to get a burnout? Or are they not able to finish, because they don't have enough time to do so? Because it isn't a realistic project,..?

The people I know who have had a burnout- it was mostly caused by chronic stress and wanting to achieve things at all costs. They didn't know how to balance things out, when they should take some rest and when they should focus on their work/study. In the case I am talking about, they were constantly focussing on what had to be done, fearing that they wouldn't be able to get things done, that it wouldn't be good enough,... And eventually not being able to do anything at all anymore. Being in a chronic state of stress really messes with your bodily functions too.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Kahneman has a good explanation for this stuff in his book "Thinking, Fast & Slow." (I've talked about the book in past threads. Kahneman is a psychologist who was awarded a Nobel Prize for ground-breaking work on how our brain works and makes decisions, etc.)

To oversimplify:

Kahneman divides up the brain into two distinct functions: System 1 and System 2. (Corresponds roughly to "Right brain" and "Left brain" in common parlance.)

System 1 is automatic & emotional, works on the basis of associative memory, "continually constructs a coherent interpretation of what is going on in our world at any instant," consists of automatic and often unconscious processes. (p. 13) It's impulsive and intuitive. (p 48) It's your self-chatter and your spatial and situational awareness and your instinctual reactions to the world around you.

System 2 is controlled, slower, more deliberative, more logical. Capable of reasoning and cautious, but also lazy. The center for language and rational thought. Also the center for your executive functions: Attention and focus.

Here's the big difference between the two:
--System 1 is an auto-function that requires little or no energy. It's always cranking along at full speed as long as you're conscious, and it never tires or takes a break.
--By comparison, System 2 is a massive energy hog. When you use it, it burns down energy fast. And once it becomes depleted, it shuts down. Once it becomes depleted, you feel exhausted, burnt out, and spent. You find it difficult to focus on anything.

So the ideal is to rely on System 1 as much as possible, and use System 2 sparingly. For example, trust your emotions and gut instincts for routine work and functions during the day. But when System 1 starts going awry (for example, your emotions start spinning out of control and you get paranoid, or you require some heavy intellectual work), then jump in with System 2 and use it to bring your emotions back under control or for focus and attention. Once that's done, stop using System 2 and go back to relying on System 1 for routine work.

That's the healthy way to do things: Use System 1 for routine stuff, because it's essentially a "free ride" in terms of energy usage. And then use System 2 sparingly and mainly for making course corrections, because it's an energy hog; if you overuse System 2, you'll burn out and get tired.

The problem is that people start overusing System 2 in their daily functioning. (Since System 2 contains more of your conscious functions, your ego tends to associate itself with System 2 and overuse it.) That works for a while, but stores of energy available for System 2 are limited. When System 2 starts crashing, your executive functions start breaking down. Meantime, System 1 is still up and operative just like usual, but it starts spinning out of control without System 2 to act as a corrective.

From my notes on Kahneman's book:

--System 2 self-control becomes depleted over time or repeated applications. "If you have had to force yourself to do something, you are less willing or less able to exert self-control when the next challenge comes around. The phenomenon has been named ego depletion." (p. 41-2) Basically this is why healthy habits break down under stress. When working hard on a task, people lose self-control as a result of mental exhaustion, resulting in everything from breaking diets to reacting aggressively to others to giving in on other types of temptations. (p. 42)

Kahneman talks at length about exhaustion of self-control (ego-depletion) and its relation to blood glucose levels. High levels of self-control burn down glucose levels, resulting in poor self-control; and self-control can be restored by intaking sugar. Hence a lot of sugar consumption in those who do a lot of intellectual work. But of course that's not good for your health over the long-term. Meantime, tests show that people tend to make poorer decisions when they are hungry and tired, in the sense that there is little System 2 self-control left and thus an inability to maintain System 2 cognitive load and monitoring, so they revert to their System 1 defaults (p. 43-4).

To sum up: The healthy way to do things is to use System 1 for routine stuff, because it's essentially free in terms of energy usage. And then use System 2 sparingly and mainly for making course corrections, because it's an energy hog; if you overuse it, you'll burn out and get tired. Meantime, if you're going to do tasks that require a lot of System 2 thought, then do them in the morning when your energy levels are highest. Save the routine stuff (System 1 stuff) for the afternoon, when you're tired. Also, when you're using System 2 on a regular or heavy basis, then do things that replenish System 2 in sensible ways: Give System 2 frequent breaks via diversions (get up and do a few jumping jacks or take a short walk at good stopping points), take rest breaks, do a routine System 1 task or errand to give System 2 a break, eat healthy food at lunch to get your blood sugar back up a bit, enjoy some entertainment or chat with a friend as a break, etc.

That's the psychological concept of "flow." The concept of "flow" is an exception to the rule about energy depletion in the use of System 2. But that basically happens when you learn an intellectual subject so well that it essentially becomes part of System 1. For example: A long-time chess-player who is playing an intellectually demanding but also entertaining chess game often enters a state of "flow" as part of the game. At such times, he's basically working "from the gut," using System 1 instincts.

System 1 doesn't tax your energy supplies (it's a "free ride" in terms of energy usage), so "flow" is experienced as pleasurable: You're productive at some kind of intellectual endeavor, but there's no strain or depletion of energy occurring. Best of both worlds.

This makes a lot of sense, and I am very familiar with the sensation of "Flow", as with how difficult as it is to obtain. System 1 sounds a lot like autopilot. But I wonder how much of it I actually use. I know I use it while driving, or doing work. But I feel more like its still guided with executive function. Very rarely does it go off on its own.

I think I rely a lot on system 2 to constantly correct my malfunctioning system 1. Which makes it more difficult to do extra things. Or it could be the opposite, where my System 2 dominates my system 1 resulting in constant exhaustion. Both seem equally viable in however I use my energy.

Another thing to point out, is that if I would rely more on autopilot, or "system 1", my coherency diminishes. Since I do not process language the same way as other people. I can become very dyslectic in thought. I sometimes still try to communicate in this mode, and often times use the wrong words.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

This is interesting.. I think both these factors can play a role in burnout and might even be linked. I know that for me burnout often starts with being overworked, which leads to increase in stress, but then that stress is made worse because I can’t be as thorough as I’d like. It’s not so much that I’m prevented from finishing work, but rather that the product I produce isn’t up to my usual standard and to me feels incomplete. Then I have a tendency to question what the point is and become frustrated that quantity takes precedence over quality.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
This makes a lot of sense, and I am very familiar with the sensation of "Flow", as with how difficult as it is to obtain. System 1 sounds a lot like autopilot. But I wonder how much of it I actually use. I know I use it while driving, or doing work. But I feel more like its still guided with executive function. Very rarely does it go off on its own.

I think I rely a lot on system 2 to constantly correct my malfunctioning system 1. Which makes it more difficult to do extra things. Or it could be the opposite, where my System 2 dominates my system 1 resulting in constant exhaustion. Both seem equally viable in however I use my energy.

Another thing to point out, is that if I would rely more on autopilot, or "system 1", my coherency diminishes. Since I do not process language the same way as other people. I can become very dyslectic in thought. I sometimes still try to communicate in this mode, and often times use the wrong words.

Initially, I think the main thing is simply to be aware of the two modes of operating and how they differ. Then, with time, you can spot when you're burning down System 2 energy too fast and start using some of the tricks I mentioned above for extending your System 2 energy:

if you're going to do tasks that require a lot of System 2 thought, then do them in the morning when your energy levels are highest. Save the routine stuff (System 1 stuff) for the afternoon, when you're tired. Also, when you're using System 2 on a regular or heavy basis, then do things that replenish System 2 in sensible ways: Give System 2 frequent breaks via diversions (get up and do a few jumping jacks or take a short walk at good stopping points), take rest breaks, do a routine System 1 task or errand to give System 2 a break, eat healthy food at lunch to get your blood sugar back up a bit, enjoy some entertainment or chat with a friend as a break, etc.

Another trick:

If you tend to be disorganized, then you may be using System 2 energy for simple tasks when you could be using System 1 energy. For example: If you're disorganized, putting together something simple like a trip to the grocery story could require a lot of energy and thought. To switch those simple errands over to System 1 energy, just turn them into routine by being more organized about them: Develop checklists, automate errands and repetitive tasks as much as possible, etc. It may seem boring to do things that way, but using System 1 instead of System 2 energy for such tasks will leave you fresher and less burnt-out at the end of the day.

To sum up: A lot of it is just awareness. As awareness grows, you'll increasingly spot ways to be more efficient and productive in your use of the two different modes of operation. And then it's easier to keep life on an even keel. At least, that's my own experience.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Jeezzz this is the most relatable thing I've read in a long time. I've been burnt out for a long time honestly, I wish I could even get an hour without being completely blown out. It's troublesome in college too because I really want to study and learn and those are things that used to entertain me, but now every challenge or assignment is met with dragging feet.

I have a lot of issues with perfectionism as well, I get very concerned about the quality of what I'm doing and how it's done. I can hyperfixate for hours on end on a single assignment because I don't have enough information or because I think I don't know enough. What's worse is that when I take breaks, I get entirely stuck in them. I think primarily for me, burnout is a mental health thing, getting overrun with anxiety that comes from that fixation. What you say about mental energy being limited to just functioning is a major mood.