User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    Ƌ

Default How to Stay Hopeful on a Dying World

Due to climate change, our planet is slowly going belly up. The extent to which in regards to how badly and at what rate it will effect human life varies, but at minimum there will be a necessary and unavoidable large reduction in the quality of life on a global scale in the coming decades. While there are ways in which this could be mitigated, this seems unlikely or to be enough to thwart major impacts. As a result, the outlook is rather grim, to put it nicely. We'll survive as a species and people, but how we will survive might be very harsh and undesirable.

This makes it extremely difficult for some people to have hope for the future. Many of peoples plans implicitly depend on stable food and water supplies, stable economies, stable and predictable weather patterns, all of which are at major threat and will be negatively effected in the coming decades. Sure, you can have hopes, plans, and dreams for what you want to do with your life and into the future, but when the plant truly begins to tilt those plans may have to be shelved or canceled all together. For those who have grappled with this, how do you cope and how do you hold hope and positivity for your future? If you don't, then what do you plan (if at all) to do?

Discuss.
    It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.

dec xoⱶe daÿ ʞ̇ɛẙn̂e bınuzɛ, ᴊys sɔᴛuse.
    Likes cascadeco, Powehi liked this post

The earth is unimaginably old, too old for a mere human to fathom, its survived threats like this in the past, worse ones I'll wager, and its been fine.

I dont think that mankind will survive in its present shape, which is also fine, the mistakes spawned by industrialism and capitalism are many and the cultural malaise which gave rise to it much older, however, the evidence is in and it will change mankind.

All that remains is for the the old malthusian and darwinist prejudices to finally bite the dust and we have a chance of finally moving beyond class struggles and mankind can finally write its own history. It shouldnt be long now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I don't. I mean, everybody dies eventually. So I've never really been worried or depressed about the idea of dying. I just don't want it to be painful or prolonged, but that remains to be seen and I can't worry about it because I can't see into the future. This kind of mindset feels really liberating because I can concentrate on the here and now, I can live my life and hope to stay alive and well until I'm not, and find positivity in the things I do now until there isn't any anymore. I know this sounds defeatist, but seriously, there really is no point in excessive worrying because it won't help anybody, it won't make the world a better place and it won't stop the planet going belly up.

Of course I still think about the future, I have some savings, I have a place of my own, but if I'll lose all that, there's no point in worrying and hanging on to these things. I don't have kids, and no plans of having any, so I don't have to worry about their future and it really is a relief. And this doesn't mean that I'm adding to the future misery more than others, I try to be mindful of the environment, my carbon footprint is pretty small, I don't take up much space and I don't have any excessive needs. I can adapt to whatever's coming.

All the hope and positivity in the world will never make up for all the negative things that have been done in the past and are being done in the present. I really don't have any hope for the humankind because they've squandered away a lot of the great things in this world, and they still mostly squabble over insignificant details. By the time everybody realizes it's better to work on things together, really helpful things instead of just talking about things that should be done, it's too late anyway. Is it really such a bad thing to get rid of the parasites?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

World doesn't give a shit about humans, what makes you think it would die without us around? That is pretty self-important thinking. Like, 98% of all living creatures that have existed on earth are extinct. Just let that sink in. Life, will continue on without us. Humans might evolve. Society might not be around, but I assure you it will come back through things like convergent evolution, or related ancestors walking the same path as humans once did.
    ENTP
    6w5 1w9 3w4
    ILE- Ti
    sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Maou View Post
    World doesn't give a shit about humans, what makes you think it would die without us around? That is pretty self-important thinking. Like, 98% of all living creatures that have existed on earth are extinct. Just let that sink in. Life, will continue on without us. Humans might evolve. Society might not be around, but I assure you it will come back through things like convergent evolution, or related ancestors walking the same path as humans once did.
    This logic always strikes me as not actually caring about life that does cease to exist. Not valuing it, really, if it is that 'easy' to brush it aside. Do you feel that way, or do you choose to view things in this light so as to not feel it at all? I hope that doesn't strike you as offensive, but I think the question gets more to the heart of the issue.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Enneagram
    Ƌ

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    This logic always strikes me as not actually caring about life that does cease to exist. Not valuing it, really, if it is that 'easy' to brush it aside. Do you feel that way, or do you choose to view things in this light so as to not feel it at all? I hope that doesn't strike you as offensive, but I think the question gets more to the heart of the issue.
    Yup. It is devoid of empathy and compassion for suffering. Humans care about other humans (the kind ones do anyway). The fact of the matter is we are here, we exist, and we all feel. So, we need to deal with that. Of course life will go on on earth. It's proven to be really resiliant, and I am extremely curious to what life will come after us after the time of humans are over.

I found this a few months ago and I think it gives some prospective on what could happen due to climate change. Over the next few centuries the earth is going to go through a very large species bottle neck. Indeed life will go on, but right now there is life here, and we aught to try and limit and prevent as much suffering as possible given we have the means to do so.

It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.

dec xoⱶe daÿ ʞ̇ɛẙn̂e bınuzɛ, ᴊys sɔᴛuse.
    Likes cascadeco, Powehi liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Maou View Post
    You are so broken. It's fortunate that there are people that don't feel this way, that will likely be there for you when you realize this outlook is the cause of much of the strife in this world.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so

I try to do what I can here and now. I live in a state where even though the signs are ALL OVER THE PLACE and they're seeing it happen. They still inexplicably seem to live in a state of denial and just keep selling land and overdeveloping.

Weep not poor children
    For life is this way
    Murdering beauty and passions

ESFP 4w3 7w8 9w8 sx/so
    Se>Fi>Si>Fe>Te>Ni=Ne>Ti

I like my town with a little drop of poison:
    Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

To try to answer this question, as someone who feels pretty much as you do and I think about everything you wrote in the OP, even though I don't actually have hope in the long run and despise that 'it's bound to happen'/ 'life will always go on' thinking is the easiest copout for not taking accountability for any of it or doing the most individually to ensure it doesn't happen or minimize things, my thought right now is that at least for the duration of all of this we DO and WILL have individuals who care and who work legally, in community activism/development, and in attempting to hold back the floodgates of habitat loss and degradation/pollution. Who work towards trying to ensure that our water stays clean, that our food stays good, that the air we breathe is as clean as we can possibly hope to make it.

We might have to put our hope in small victories. And perhaps zoos. Many have some moral/ethical issues with zoos, but the fact is that they are filled with people who care about the animals and who also work globally to try to protect resources and animals in the wild. Maybe at some point humanity will just be left with the 'wild' only in zoos, or small pockets that due to the nature of the size can't sustain truly diverse and complex ecosystems, but maybe that's all we'll have and today, as individuals, if we have the income and time, we can help contribute to diverting monetary funds to these people/organization or our time to being more active in volunteering or working in other nations.

I despise that we might have to 'settle' for this and don't think we should, so all individuals who do care should keep focusing on it and not fall into the view of seeing it as inevitable. Truly in this case it isn't, and wasn't, except for the fact that humans don't particularly have long-range thinking as a collective trait. We can try to change that, though, always. Through voting, small actions on our own and within our communities, and so on.

Personally I donate, when able, to various conservation organizations as well as the National Resources Defense Council -- since a lot of stuff hits the national scene and you NEED top-notch lawyers to actually fight the big fight.

One thing I would like to do eventually is perhaps volunteer overseas regularly for eco-lodges. Though the reality is that volunteers are often not super useful to them, so maybe purely donating is a better option. Or visiting, of course. Putting money into these avenues that are important.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Oh no, I deeply value life. But there comes a time where one has to accept nothing lasts forever. Strive and persevere as you might, but the clock is always ticking. For everything. So much life went extinct before humans even existed. Things go extinct, and evolve all the the time in constant flux. Humans will see the birth and death of many things, even itself. There will be a time when humans have to choose between human life, and nature. How do you reconcile the contradicting logic of unlimited empathy and saving all life, with overpopulation and the destruction of the enviroment to make saving those lives possible? We support green energy, naturalists ideas etc. But how does that stop overpopulation? It is escapism from the conscious thought of death and life. When will you realize that humans are actually the biggest problem for themselves? like an algea bloom in the ocean? Do you know what happens after an algea bloom? Everything dies becaused it used up its resources (and giving birth to new life). Its a natural part of life. Humans just question absurdity, and try to resist against the inevitable. I will be long dead before that happens. So I am content just enjoying life now.
    ENTP
    6w5 1w9 3w4
    ILE- Ti
    sx/sp