• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What helped you with depression?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I had postpartum depression with my first child.

Medication
Addressing the physical issues I had postpartum
Getting some help with baby and things around me
Psychoeducation and some CBT really helped a great deal

This lasted about 4-6 months but I started to feel better within a couple weeks once I started the meds. I would encourage anyone that thinks they have depression to have it addressed. I couldn't have assessed this on my own, let alone medicated the chemical imbalances without a doctor.

Lark

I think a lot of things are important on the personal scale but ultimately I think a lot what is commonly defined as depression may not be depression at all but instead a myriad of other maladies of heart and mind. That actually sounds a bit more poetic than its meant to.

Anyway, I think there's a hell of a lot of menace and oppression in the world, mainly people are menaced by crime and anti-social behaviour, secondary to that is poverty but they are woven together most of the time. This cant other than have a consequence.

Most of the politicians or others in positions to change things, or at least set a standard in their own conduct, are so far removed from things. So it goes and it does not therefore surprise me that you get people like Boris Johnson quoting earlier conservative curmudgeons to the effect that the responses to social ills are "palliative and not radical", meaning in time the behaviour, more often those behaving that way, will "die off". That's a product of a pretty individualistic world view that can only be held by those with enough ready money to provide a huge buffer against whatever the social ills are while they get on with "dying off".

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Solving the problem that is giving me uncomfort and if that doesn't work I push it as far away from me as possible. Everything else is mostly just patching and denial that probably wouldn't really help and practically insures misery. I simply grew up hiding from airstrikes and therefore I think that the best way of dealing with oblivion is to rise shields and go the through it (or even fight it). If anything the results and gains are balancing me on the inside pretty quickly.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I’m not sure I fully agree with the thread title (because depression is technically a lifetime on-and-off thing for me), but I get the gist of it more or less.

I usually cope with it by listening to relaxing music, retreating into a good book/audiobook, or meditating when things feel rough.

Mole

Permabanned
Most suffering from depression seek sympathy to make us feel better. This is a trap. Sympathy confirms us in our depression, while empathy can help us out.

Sympathy means feeling the same as, and changes nothing, while empathy is uniquely helpful because it knows how we are feeling without feeling depressed themselves.

If we have a broken leg, we want a doctor to know what is wrong without having a broken leg themselves, and in the same way we want a psychotherapist to know we are depressed, without being depressed themselves.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A combination of pills and books about positive psychology (and no, the books had nothing to do with MBTI [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION])

And gosh, even though I'm happy, I still care about the world around me. Some twat on another forum got mad at me for reading about positive psychology because it allegedly paralleled some trend before Thatcher and Reagan. Naturally he'ed never shown any concern about my own mental health before that. So I should just feel miserable and suicidal because that's the only way to be a good person (also this guy posted stuff about how he had transcended morality, but nevertheless this implication was there). Fuck that noise.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Constantly looking to an Ideal Future. I live in what 'could be'.
Finding something to channel passion into.