• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mental illness is _______

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just as important to heal as physical illnesses are. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
i thought you despised me? wow, my scope of you was correct. narcissistic and hypocritical! #midwesternbabe

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i thought you despised me? wow, my scope of you was correct. narcissistic and hypocritical! #midwesternbabe

You know narcissism is a sign of mental illness, right? So you aren't making your case. #trollfail

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Actually, the inability to admit when you are wrong and gaslighting people who speak to you in a way which suggests you are not perfect are regular behaviors of narcissists. :)

Have a good day.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
mental illness is... something society decides is.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
mental illness is... something society decides is.

Don't necessarily agree in that sense...

I mean, yes, society decided my level of anxiety is abnormal. But also my level of anxiety impedes me in functioning in certain ways such as job performance or social relationships - so it is a prevalent problem.

note: I have GAD.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Something Im on the fence about tbh.

And maybe thats super fucked up. And I can believe it in other people, like, I have no idea what other people experience and deviations in the way the brain normally work make as much sense as being possible as its possible for some days to be sunny and some days to be rainy, or some people to have allergies and some people not, but I cant fully believe my own experience so theres a tiny, as I said, effed up part of me that thinks that maybe OTHER people have a moral failing too.

I guess this is more of a confession than anything. I believe mental illness is real and I at the same time dont.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I mean, yes, society decided my level of anxiety is abnormal. But also my level of anxiety impedes me in functioning in certain ways such as job performance or social relationships - so it is a prevalent problem.

note: I have GAD.

It may be an imperfect analogy, but many people with think about GAD like it was Sickle Cell Disease.

SCD will prevent you to get malaria, but SCD is still a disease.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Something Im on the fence about tbh.

And maybe thats super fucked up. And I can believe it in other people, like, I have no idea what other people experience and deviations in the way the brain normally work make as much sense as being possible as its possible for some days to be sunny and some days to be rainy, or some people to have allergies and some people not, but I cant fully believe my own experience so theres a tiny, as I said, effed up part of me that thinks that maybe OTHER people have a moral failing too.

I guess this is more of a confession than anything. I believe mental illness is real and I at the same time dont.

It is a lot more complex than people may originally think. I was studying psyche at a college level for a bit and just, the discussions and theories were amazing. I have always been deeply fascinated by mental illness, diagnostics, and what makes them different. There's so many factors and such. I think it explains some of my interest in typology too - just the interest in people's personalities and structures and all that. But yeah I don't think you're totally wrong. As I said I can understand theories of suggesting perhaps these deviations are decided by humans and don't actually exist - but I think it discredits people who experience difficult symptoms.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It is a lot more complex than people may originally think. I was studying psyche at a college level for a bit and just, the discussions and theories were amazing. I have always been deeply fascinated by mental illness, diagnostics, and what makes them different. There's so many factors and such. I think it explains some of my interest in typology too - just the interest in people's personalities and structures and all that. But yeah I don't think you're totally wrong. As I said I can understand theories of suggesting perhaps these deviations are decided by humans and don't actually exist - but I think it discredits people who experience difficult symptoms.

Oh yes I mean. There is a part of me too that is validated when I feel better on medication. Where Im like, it cant be totally fake if theres something chemical that helps. But at the same time Im always questioning myself like... maybe its a placebo effect. Maybe I just WANT to believe the medication is working. Maybe NONE of this is anything more than the psychiatric industry manipulating the vulnerable.

But like. If they are... they are pretty damned good at it at this point. And like, if they are... then honestly if the “manipulation” has helped millions and millions of people feel better then like, honestly, what does it matter if the drugs actually work or not.

But yeah. Definitely not saying its not real, or being antipsychiatry. Some structural differences are found in some mental illnesses, and like, the really sick... like... I dont think that most people would WANT to be sitting like in their own feces quacking like a duck or something idk. Or like I dunno, be thinking the best idea is to shoot themselves. So like, dismissing it all as fake is basically dismissing everyones pain who has ever existed, and its not something I really feel qualified, as one person with one experience, to basically do to all of humans who have ever existed ever.

So yeah. Im stuck between reading about it, learning about it, and the learning being slightly too obsessive because I really just want to believe at this point that this is real, I just, emotionally theres a disconnect

Mole

Permabanned
Mental illness is painful for the sufferer, and one of the worst suffering is loneliness.