• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Have an Internal Monologue?

Do you have an internal monologue?

• Yes, I can 'hear' my voice in my mind

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No, I cannot 'hear' my voice in my mind

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's... Difficult. It's taken me a long time to realize (as in, more recently in my life) but I don't... 'Dialogue' (or monologue) and it didn't occur to me that apparently some people actually think in actual, real words (yes, this is a shocker for me). This explains why it takes a kighjillion years for me to 'translate things into words'. It took many, many times and many years of me saying "I'll have to translate it into words," because I don't think in words. I thought about it recently then it occurred to me that I didn't think in any language for that matter. Even when I'm thinking of people speaking. It's very visual, or just... Intuitive? (In the mundane sense, not MBTI-sense) I'd explain but I don't know if I can. I'll just get information like that, then I'll have to spend much more time actually outlining what I'm seeing in an actual language (which is much easier to do in English, my mother tongue).

EDIT: I've just read OP and this is in the link:

How do they [non internal monologuers] think? How does this affect their relationships, jobs, experiences, education? How has this not been mentioned to me before? All of these questions started flooding my mind. Can those people without the internal monologue even formulate these questions in their mind? If they can, how does it happen if they don’t “hear” their voice? I mentioned earlier that I was spiraling out of control.

My friend I have the same question isn't thinking in words VERY SLOW? What do you mean HOW the information is RIGHT THERE
I'd say, "Literally, the thoughts are there," but it probably wouldn't be too descriptive or helpful since to people like in OP thoughts ARE words.

CrowaBunga

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lol, yup. The "Voices in My Head" never truly go away for better or worse.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Putting this here because it is new and relevent.

I also wanted to go back over my inner dialogue for a moment. I initially thought I didn't really think in words unless I was problem solving. But Ive realized my inner thoughts are more like a TV flipping through channels of many voices and music...that sometimes rewinds and plays a segment over several times (to double make sure I got it). I also seem to be able to "ignore" or tune out those thoughts and stare into the void. Or they can become stronger with focus. I do have conversations with not only myself, but other people ive imagined. I sometimes imagine giving a speech too when I think about writing in my blog, and picturing how it would play out. My inner dialogue seems to fluctuate like crazy in both intensity and content.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've realized that I have two primary layers of internal processing:

1. The internal voice. All words, either monologue or conversation. Imagery can accompany, especially if the latter, but is not necessary. Imagery is literal... as in two people talking, for example.
2. Symbolic imagery with a total absence of words. Internalized emotions, sensations, and patterns accompany the images. It's like poetry in motion, with pictures. It happens more with some sort of sensory input, such as music. I can attach words to it if I so desire and put in the effort (like writing an actual poem), but it's not present naturally.

Daydreams generally consist of both in combination.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do. I thought everyone did, actually, although it shouldn't surprise me that not everyone does.