• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Narcissism thread

rav3n

Bet there's correlation between narcissism and libertarianism.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The term has been used so much in popular psychology that the category has become a bit confusing. The link you provided was hard for me to read because of popup adds and I couldn't see the list of 11 things. I have found that oftentimes those lists will tend to be traits that most people have, so it can make the article more tantalizing. There are a lot of selfish people in the world for sure who don't feel much guilt. Probably most people have felt like they have been personally involved with someone so self-centered as to seem like they have NPD. Who knows, maybe.

One issue with personality disorders is the relationship between the Self and Other. That is the part that is out of balance. For example, if someone has tons of self-confidence and wants to be rich and famous, but they are happy for others who achieve it, they may just be extremely confident, but not at all personality disordered. If the person will destroy anyone who gets in the way of anything they feel entitled to and never feels remorse, then maybe that person does have a disorder.

I'll try to come back and post links for something more substantial.

Lark

The term has been used so much in popular psychology that the category has become a bit confusing. The link you provided was hard for me to read because of popup adds and I couldn't see the list of 11 things. I have found that oftentimes those lists will tend to be traits that most people have, so it can make the article more tantalizing. There are a lot of selfish people in the world for sure who don't feel much guilt. Probably most people have felt like they have been personally involved with someone so self-centered as to seem like they have NPD. Who knows, maybe.

One issue with personality disorders is the relationship between the Self and Other. That is the part that is out of balance. For example, if someone has tons of self-confidence and wants to be rich and famous, but they are happy for others who achieve it, they may just be extremely confident, but not at all personality disordered. If the person will destroy anyone who gets in the way of anything they feel entitled to and never feels remorse, then maybe that person does have a disorder.

Yeah, I dont think narcissistic traits and selfishness are the same as NPD.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I dont think narcissistic traits and selfishness are the same as NPD.
I think NPD traits are just products of repressed empathy, which affects everyone- only with different degrees of severity. I think an NPD diagnosis is just on the far end of that scale.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's no I in narcissism. Wait a minute...

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

The relationship between the NPD self and others is that others are only an extension of the self (like a prop or a mirror), and that's if the other is "lucky".

And I totally agree that it's become trendy to say "ugh, my ex is a narcissist". I stopped reading articles and stories about people's personal experience with it because most of them were trendy and as such, invalidating to my experience, which I can only explain as "a strategic destruction of my sense of self". In other words, a legitimate living hell, of which I still bear some scars.

The trendiness is also a big part of why whenever I talk about it, I no longer go into much detail. I'd rather keep it all in than have people conclude I'm dramatizing my experiences to be "cool" and get attention.

There's no I in narcissism. Wait a minute...

No, no... you got it wrong; there's two i's but no u's. ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The relationship between the NPD self and others is that others are only an extension of the self (like a prop or a mirror), and that's if the other is "lucky". And I totally agree that it's become trendy to say "ugh, my ex is a narcissist". I stopped reading articles and stories about people's personal experience with it because most of them were trendy and as such, invalidating to my experience, which I can only explain as "a strategic destruction of my sense of self". In other words, a legitimate living hell, of which I still bear some scars. The trendiness is also a big part of why whenever I talk about it, I no longer go into much detail. I'd rather keep it all in than have people conclude I'm dramatizing my experiences to be "cool" and get attention.
I know that you have been through extremely difficult experiences.

I also have a ind of personal ethic to not dismiss the pain of others. There's a cost/benefit question I ask myself. If a person says they have terrible pain and it's an exaggeration or a lie and I believe them, the worst that can happen is that I'm a bit foolish and gullible. That isn't much of a cost to me because I don't care if I'm those things. If they have suffered and I do dismiss it then I've done something quite cruel. That is a cost I'm unwilling to pay.
Also I realize that I never have complete information about another person so their word about their life always carries more weight than my opinion. Some of these ideas come from reading Carl Rogers and also from trying to process the enormous lies I've been told in my life that did affect my life but were still the result of pain in the other person. I had to figure out how to be at peace with myself in that world.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I know that you have been through extremely difficult experiences.

I also have a ind of personal ethic to not dismiss the pain of others. There's a cost/benefit question I ask myself. If a person says they have terrible pain and it's an exaggeration or a lie and I believe them, the worst that can happen is that I'm a bit foolish and gullible. That isn't much of a cost to me because I don't care if I'm those things. If they have suffered and I do dismiss it then I've done something quite cruel. That is a cost I'm unwilling to pay.
Also I realize that I never have complete information about another person so their word about their life always carries more weight than my opinion. Some of these ideas come from reading Carl Rogers and also from trying to process the enormous lies I've been told in my life that did affect my life but were still the result of pain in the other person. I had to figure out how to be at peace with myself in that world.

This is actually my exact reasoning behind giving to panhandlers. I've tried to explain it to others before, but you put it so eloquently. If I have been fooled and lose out on money or time, what have I actually lost? Certainly not my integrity. If they spend it on alcohol or drugs, or if they are actually just playing the part of someone in need when they are in fact not, then it doesn't reflect poorly on me for doing something thoughtful of another (and I tend to not judge those suffering from addiction as it is).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bet there's correlation between narcissism and libertarianism.

Liberals and conservatives are narcissistic in different ways, study finds

the researchers surveyed a nationally-representative sample of 750 American adults between October 26 and November 1, 2016.

Using the Narcissistic Personality Inventory, they found that levels of narcissism were about equal among liberals and conservatives. But a higher sense of entitlement was associated with more conservative positions, while exhibitionism was associated with more liberal positions.

People scoring high on entitlement agree with statements like “I insist upon getting the respect that is due me” and “I expect a great deal from other people.” People scoring high on exhibitionism, on the other hand, agree with statements like “I get upset when people don’t notice how I look when I go out in public” and “I will usually show off if I get the chance.”

“The simple takeaway is that activation of one’s sense of entitlement appears to be related to individuals moving to the right, while activation of one’s need to display their values is related to left-leaning political positions,” Hatemi told PsyPost.

rav3n

Error - Cookies Turned Off

My way or the highway: High narcissism and low self-esteem predict decreased support for democracy

Results
Zero-order correlations

We first computed correlations between all continuous variables (see Table 1). In line with our predictions, support for democracy was negatively related to narcissism and positively related to self-esteem. Support for democracy was also negatively related to RWA and SDO. We also found a significant positive relationship between self-esteem and RWA, and significant positive relationships between narcissism and RWA as well as SDO.2 Self-esteem was unrelated to narcissism in this sample.

Results
Zero-order correlations

We first computed correlations between all continuous variables (see Table 3). Support for democracy was negatively correlated with narcissism but was not significantly correlated with self-esteem. Interpersonal trust was positively related to support for democracy and self-esteem, but it was not significantly associated with narcissism.

Narcissism assumes positive feelings of self-worth but is considered defensive, rather than secure. It is an excessive self-evaluation associated with feelings of entitlement and self-importance (Campbell & Foster, 2007; Horvath & Morf, 2009; Krizan & Herlache, 2018). Narcissists believe themselves to be unique and superior to others (Campbell, Rudich, & Sedikides, 2002). They tend to support social hierarchies, especially if they feel they can be on top of the pecking order (Zitek & Jordan, 2016; see also Cichocka, Dhont, & Makwana, 2017). At the same time, they are exhibitionistic and constantly look for external validation (Baumeister & Vohs, 2001; Byrne & O’Brien, 2014; Morf & Rhodewalt, 2001; Reynolds & Lejuez, 2011). They also have a tendency to perceive others’ actions as intentionally malicious (Cichocka et al., 2016). Overall, narcissists are hostile to people who undermine their infallibility and are easily threatened by opinions inconsistent with their own (Baumeister, Smart, & Boden, 1996; Horvath & Morf, 2009; Kernis, Grannemann, & Barclay, 1989). Therefore, we predicted that due to their increased sensitivity to threats stemming from criticism or disagreement (Bushman & Baumeister, 1998; Horton & Sedikides, 2009; Morf & Rhodewalt, 1993), narcissists should be less enthusiastic about democracy, which inherently assumes the need to respect different ideologies and opinions.