User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Bet there's correlation between narcissism and libertarianism.
    Liberals and conservatives are narcissistic in different ways, study finds

the researchers surveyed a nationally-representative sample of 750 American adults between October 26 and November 1, 2016.

Using the Narcissistic Personality Inventory, they found that levels of narcissism were about equal among liberals and conservatives. But a higher sense of entitlement was associated with more conservative positions, while exhibitionism was associated with more liberal positions.

People scoring high on entitlement agree with statements like “I insist upon getting the respect that is due me” and “I expect a great deal from other people.” People scoring high on exhibitionism, on the other hand, agree with statements like “I get upset when people don’t notice how I look when I go out in public” and “I will usually show off if I get the chance.”

“The simple takeaway is that activation of one’s sense of entitlement appears to be related to individuals moving to the right, while activation of one’s need to display their values is related to left-leaning political positions,” Hatemi told PsyPost.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

My way or the highway: High narcissism and low self-esteem predict decreased support for democracy

Results
    Zero-order correlations

We first computed correlations between all continuous variables (see Table 1). In line with our predictions, support for democracy was negatively related to narcissism and positively related to self-esteem. Support for democracy was also negatively related to RWA and SDO. We also found a significant positive relationship between self-esteem and RWA, and significant positive relationships between narcissism and RWA as well as SDO.2 Self-esteem was unrelated to narcissism in this sample.
    Results
    Zero-order correlations

We first computed correlations between all continuous variables (see Table 3). Support for democracy was negatively correlated with narcissism but was not significantly correlated with self-esteem. Interpersonal trust was positively related to support for democracy and self-esteem, but it was not significantly associated with narcissism.
    Narcissism assumes positive feelings of self-worth but is considered defensive, rather than secure. It is an excessive self-evaluation associated with feelings of entitlement and self-importance (Campbell & Foster, 2007; Horvath & Morf, 2009; Krizan & Herlache, 2018). Narcissists believe themselves to be unique and superior to others (Campbell, Rudich, & Sedikides, 2002). They tend to support social hierarchies, especially if they feel they can be on top of the pecking order (Zitek & Jordan, 2016; see also Cichocka, Dhont, & Makwana, 2017). At the same time, they are exhibitionistic and constantly look for external validation (Baumeister & Vohs, 2001; Byrne & O’Brien, 2014; Morf & Rhodewalt, 2001; Reynolds & Lejuez, 2011). They also have a tendency to perceive others’ actions as intentionally malicious (Cichocka et al., 2016). Overall, narcissists are hostile to people who undermine their infallibility and are easily threatened by opinions inconsistent with their own (Baumeister, Smart, & Boden, 1996; Horvath & Morf, 2009; Kernis, Grannemann, & Barclay, 1989). Therefore, we predicted that due to their increased sensitivity to threats stemming from criticism or disagreement (Bushman & Baumeister, 1998; Horton & Sedikides, 2009; Morf & Rhodewalt, 1993), narcissists should be less enthusiastic about democracy, which inherently assumes the need to respect different ideologies and opinions.