• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you like and dislike about this forum?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol
I was wondering, when no dupes are discovered, will you guys think "Oh Wow, we were wrong" or will you think "This is the best dupe account ever, because no dupes have been discovered" ?

:D

Because, I get the impression that I can't win

The trick is to not be an asshole. If your contributions are valuable and you're not baiting anyone (either directly or in a passive-aggressive way, especially if it's the latter and your reaction to feedback is to play stupid & continue the behavior), then people won't even care if you are a dupe.

But if your contributions tend to antagonize or bait others, whether or not it's intentional, then yeah - others will react badly to you regardless of whether you're a dupe.

Veebee

The trick is to not be an asshole. If your contributions are valuable and you're not baiting anyone (either directly or in a passive-aggressive way, especially if it's the latter and your reaction to feedback is to play stupid & continue the behavior), then people won't even care if you are a dupe.

But if your contributions tend to antagonize or bait others, whether or not it's intentional, then yeah - others will react badly to you regardless of whether you're a dupe.

Do you think I'm being an asshole? :shock:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You stated you had the impression you can't win. I explained how you can.

Exactly.

At the very least, it seems like the OP want to gauge the reactions of the rest of the forum. People pick up on that, and wonder why someone who isn't a dupe would do that, since it's not something new members are inclined to do... they'd test the waters first before even caring what anyone else thought about the forum. It's a similar story with the "what do I have to do ?" thread.

Veebee

Exactly.

At the very least, it seems like the OP want to gauge the reactions of the rest of the forum. People pick up on that, and wonder why someone who isn't a dupe would do that, since it's not something new members are inclined to do... they'd test the waters first before even caring what anyone else thought about the forum. It's a similar story with the "what do I have to do ?" thread.

I made this thread because it was more interesting than an intro thread. It's a question that usually gets responses, since members will always have opinions on a forum they frequent. I don't see an intro thread getting this much traffic in less than a week.

Deprecator

I like this site because I feel it offers an opportunity to articulate my views and opinions in the midst of a very diverse population with members from all sorts of backgrounds. In addition to this, I also feel that the psychology component of the site adds a nice twist to this overall dynamic. For an example, if a person wants to speculate upon the motive of another member, I feel like people are more likely to use psychological terms like "projection" or "cognitive dissonance", which I sometimes find amusing.

So, are my posts inspired by some deep-seeded craving to 'get a reaction' out of others? Hardly. If people want to quote/ like/ rep any one of my comments -- great. If not, then that's perfectly fine too. Honestly, I feel like my most well thought out posts are largely ignored, whereas my posts I care less for get all the... "attention."

I also find the forum drama amusing; if member X isn't getting along with member Y then I am always very grateful to anyone willing to share with me any and all details that might explain the animus.

Veebee

I like this site because I feel it offers an opportunity to articulate my views and opinions in the midst of a very diverse population with members from all sorts of backgrounds. In addition to this, I also feel that the psychology component of the site adds a nice twist to this overall dynamic. For an example, if a person wants to speculate upon the motive of another member, I feel like people are more likely to use psychological terms like "projection" or "cognitive dissonance", which I sometimes find amusing.

So, are my posts inspired by some deep-seeded craving to 'get a reaction' out of others? Hardly. If people want to quote/ like/ rep any one of my comments -- great. If not, then that's perfectly fine too. Honestly, I feel like my most well thought out posts are largely ignored, whereas my posts I care less for get all the... "attention."

I also find the forum drama amusing; if member X isn't getting along with member Y then I am always very grateful to anyone willing to share with me any and all details that might explain the animus.

So is this a well thought out post or nah?

Deprecator

So is this a well thought out post or nah?
Yeah, idk.... if anything informing a new member about what I like about the site would more likely fall under the category of 'superficial fluff'. The 'well thought out' reference was mostly referring to my tendency to author political themed posts. Difference between left and right, rise of far left extremism, reactions to various congressional testimonies.... all that fun stuff.

Veebee

Yeah, idk.... if anything informing a new member about what I like about the site would more likely fall under the category of 'superficial fluff'. The 'well thought out' reference was mostly referring to my tendency to author political themed posts. Difference between left and right, rise of far left extremism, reactions to various congressional testimonies.... all that fun stuff.

I prefer politics on political forums. I dislike it when they tend to overrun other topics. It seems to be more and more common. Are there a lot of political discussions here?

Deprecator

I prefer politics on political forums. I dislike it when they tend to overrun other topics. It seems to be more and more common. Are there a lot of political discussions here?
I feel like how a person reacts to a dissenting view point that they feel strongly about can tell a lot about them. There hasn't been a lot of recent political discussion here, but before the subforum closure there was certainly plenty of opportunity to engage in discussion for those of us that were inclined.

And yes, it's been tempting for me to celebrate the reopening of the political subforum with a thread of my own, but at the same time, I also wouldn't want my unpopular political views to be misconstrued as me trying to be antagonistic or an attempt on my part to cause 'unrest', especially after we've just been given a blank slate.

Veebee

I feel like how a person reacts to a dissenting view point that they feel strongly about can tell a lot about them. There hasn't been a lot of recent political discussion here, but before the subforum closure there was certainly plenty of opportunity to engage in discussion for those of us that were inclined.

And yes, it's been tempting for me to celebrate the reopening of the political subforum with a thread of my own, but at the same time, I also wouldn't want my unpopular political views to be misconstrued as me trying to be antagonistic or an attempt on my part to cause 'unrest', especially after we've just been given a blank slate.

You've just been given a blank slate? Please explain

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

There is no political view that cannot be expressed and discussed with civility. It is departure from that that gets members in trouble, not the actual content of their views.

Shadow Play

Omg

A real estj online?

I'm so excited!

Some people don't post their real type.
This annoys me because I wanted to learn how different types communicate, but now I can never be sure.
Anyhow, I thought phobic used to be an INTP, so I wouldn't get too excited about an ESTJ being here.
Just sayin'.

[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] seems to be trolling. I also presumed that his profile type was 'real' when I'd suggested he was mistyped.

Last edited: