• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What mental illness(es) have you been dx with before finding the correct one?

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I haven't been officially misdiagnosed with anything, but I've had therapists suggest ADHD, autism, and OCD. It turns out that the ADHD/autism were just symptoms of my anxiety-tics/repetitive behaviors(I did use to flap my hands), zoning out a lot, forgetfulness, social awkwardness. So yeah, my diagnosis is anxiety for now. Technically no one's said "no" though, I've just been told those traits were anxiety related too, so maybe I secretly have one of those. The OCD was only suggested because I get a lot of repetitive thoughts, but I think that can be linked to anxiety(don't relate to anything else OCD wise). I've never been tested for autism, but I filled out this ADHD test for a doctor and I guess he just forgot about it because he never said yes or no?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've gone to around half a dozen counselors over the years. I've been diagnosed for medication with anxiety and depression. I had a counselor also talk about me having PTSD, although I think after reading this thread it is more complex PTSD, and an event that caused a secondary CPTSD. That is the wording she used. We also discussed some body-dysmorphia related issues, although I don't think severe enough for a diagnosis.

In my 20's a few medical professionals were trying to draw out a confession I had anorexia. I weighed 96 lbs and my then counselor would gently try to get a confession out of me each week and sometimes the medical doctors would make comments to make me think they were thought it as well. I was skinny enough to not have regular periods and so forth. I didn't have classic anorexia, but have gone into eating shut-down when relationships end and my life changes drastically. There have been a few times in my life my ability to eat shuts down and I lost weight really fast. I didn't think I was fat, and wasn't trying not to eat, but my stomach would tighten and it would feel like I would vomit if I swallowed anything.

So I think for this thread "anorexia" and "PTSD" were not accurate. Anxiety, depression, and CPTSD are probably accurate. There might be more wrong with me now, but only time will tell.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've gone to around half a dozen counselors over the years. I've been diagnosed for medication with anxiety and depression. I had a counselor also talk about me having PTSD, although I think after reading this thread it is more complex PTSD, and an event that caused a secondary CPTSD. That is the wording she used. We also discussed some body-dysmorphia related issues, although I don't think severe enough for a diagnosis.

In my 20's a few medical professionals were trying to draw out a confession I had anorexia. I weighed 96 lbs and my then counselor would gently try to get a confession out of me each week and sometimes the medical doctors would make comments to make me think they were thought it as well. I was skinny enough to not have regular periods and so forth. I didn't have classic anorexia, but have gone into eating shut-down when relationships end and my life changes drastically. There have been a few times in my life my ability to eat shuts down and I lost weight really fast. I didn't think I was fat, and wasn't trying not to eat, but my stomach would tighten and it would feel like I would vomit if I swallowed anything.

So I think for this thread "anorexia" and "PTSD" were not accurate. Anxiety, depression, and CPTSD are probably accurate. There might be more wrong with me now, but only time will tell.

I had a similar experience with a doctor once, although she didn't push it too much. I currently weigh probably about 13 lb less than I did a bit over a year ago and I am struggling to eat but make sure that I eat something everyday, even if I have to force myself. It is difficult sometimes though as I truly have nearly no appetite, and when I do, I sometimes "punish" myself by ignoring it until it goes away, or if I do eat, I may have to deal with nausea. I was able to eat a burger combo meal yesterday, which is utter garbage but high in calories, so that was a nice change.

Cooking becomes an overwhelming hassle that I just do not have the energy to pursue, but I usually have to make myself do that (and dishes) at least once a week because I have kids. Leftovers or easy breakfast for dinner become a go-to solution frequently. Sometimes even just popcorn and string cheese and fruits and vegetables.

I do what I can, when I can.