First 234

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
    @Yuu have you tried setting the most annoying alarm/timer you can find? Like, set it to go off right before bedtime (or breakfast etc- whenever you're supposed to take it). Then train yourself NOT to turn the alarm off until you've actually swallowed the medicine.
    Alarms helped me, a great deal, until it became a hardwired habit and I could stop using them.
    I don't have PTSD though.
    Yep!The problem is there are several steps between the alarm and the meds. Get up, find meds, find water, get food-I absolutely HAVE to have food with it. That's one of the obstacles; I'm often times just not hungry, can't find something quick or I just plain get distracted somewhere along the way.
    Another is that I need to take it at 3am and I'm definitely not hungry then. It's imperative that I take it every 6 hours so if i miss the 3am dose the rest are somewhat pointless.

Anyway, I thank you very much for your support but I've apparently offended some people by deigning to post here and doing so isn't worth the shit I'm going to get for it. So I will no longer poison this thread with my presence. Feel free to continue this discussion-or any of a lighter subject- through VM/PM.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
    @Yuu have you tried setting the most annoying alarm/timer you can find? Like, set it to go off right before bedtime (or breakfast etc- whenever you're supposed to take it). Then train yourself NOT to turn the alarm off until you've actually swallowed the medicine.
    Alarms helped me, a great deal, until it became a hardwired habit and I could stop using them.
    I don't have PTSD though.
    In the same train of thought I'd recommend setting up or setting out the medicine the night before, making it simple and something that its easy to form a habit around, over time not doing the thing could become more irksome than the other way about.
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    So do we just assume that EVERYONE has mental issues now?
    i'd argue yes. everyone does have some sort of mental issue. does it make it a diagnosable clinical illness? not necessarily, no. but this is a psych-focused forum with psych-focused subforums, so i don't understand how you think this was implied in the op.

It appalls me that we are much quicker to diagnose and drug than we are to make the slight improvements to society which would make many people's lives so much better.
    what if, and hear me out, diagnosing someone with a clinical illness is the first step to assessing and treating the illness, whether it involves some kind of drugs or not. does a single diagnosis help to explain your problem in detail? no, but it helps give mental health professionals get a starting point in ways to address and treat the problem (again, be it with drugs or not).

i'm not qualified to say what qualifies as a clinically diagnosable mental illness, but that's what psychologists and psychiatrists are for.

you seem to be getting triggered over nothing in particular. it's ok for people to share their condition.

disclaimer: i haven't read past page 1 because i don't care enough.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Greed View Post
    i'm not qualified to say what qualifies as a clinically diagnosable mental illness, but that's what psychologists and psychiatrists are for.
    I honestly doubt that even most psychologists/psychiatrists are really that good at properly diagnosing mental illness. The categories used are likely far from perfect, and the criteria is probably too vague to really be applied correctly, and hence the occassional psychologist/psychiatrist who is good at their job is relying on years of experience of being able to recognise psychological conditions beyond what the manuals say, and knowing what sort of treatment works and doesn't.

The system as a whole just isn't valid to the point that being educated in it would be sufficient to determine what constitutes a condition, or whether the signs shown are indicative of a problem or merely an abnormality, potentially a positive one. It's kinda like how most certified MBTI professionals don't actually know how to type people, so although their opinion might be above average, it's not strong enough to use as the deciding factor in determining one's type. So too, you can't necessarily trust a psychologist/psychiatrist to give you the right diagnosis or treatment - diagnosis will differ from clinician to clinician, and many of the treatments lack the proper scientific evidence or conceptual foundation to really be said to work.

Some kind of system-wide upgrade is necessary, along the lines of orienting the clinician to really being able to read people, and not just use heavily biased/faulty interpretations of interview questions, or whatever it is clinicians base their opinions on.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

I suffered from hypersomnia for months before finding this jungian psychology.

Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    :(: None

I never really got the wrong DX. Only went to a school psychologist when I was 14 because I thought I had ADD (and because I was suicidal, but I was afraid to talk about it). She sent me away with some 'Google tips'. The last time I saw her I was almost crying because she just didn't want to look any further. She told me I didn't have to give a 'socially accepted answer'. Well yeah...

Few years later when I was 16, went to an institution for +-3 weeks. No DX or anything, hella weird (especially for the reason I got there). I was sent to a "social skills training" thing. Didn't work for shit (more in the way; I didn't have to learn anything, I knew how to behave) and the psychologists were shit too. When my sessions were over, they asked me if I still wanted/needed help. I told them I wanted to keep in touch. They would call me back they said. Never heard anything again. Maybe for the better tho, one of them once asked me if I really wanted to die or if my suicide attempt was just for attention.

When I was 18 I finally got the diagnosis ADD. They never gave me medication for it before, though they gave me Abilify because I thought I was bipolar. Made me fill in a list and it was ok. The medication worked for a while but it made me tired/sleepy (can't have moodswings while you're sleeping eyy!! :')).

So when I just turned 18 she told me 'Now you can get your medication, but since you are 18, you will have to pay the full price for it.' (It's cheaper in my country when you're under 18, don't ask me why...)

On my DX they also wrote 'possibly chronically depressed'. Like thanks, no further investigation is needed I guess. No seriously, it kinda annoys me that they just seemed to brush that part 'off'. Since it's possible that the depression is comorbid with the ADD. (They also focussed on diagnosing me with ASD because I once got 'upset' when my psychiatrist forgot about our appointment. I sure may have some ASD traits, they labelled it as 'light ASD' but yeah... I don't know. I think they looked over a lot of stuff/symptoms.)

I feel for the people out there who still have to 'find'/get the right DX or treatment. It's not easy. Especially finding a good therapist, I think that's the most difficult part. Some of them seem to have bought their diploma on eBay.
    “I can’t explain what I mean. And even if I could, I’m not sure I’d feel like it.”

- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder at 13, Schizoaffective Disorder at 18.
    I take meds because they work, not because a doctor told me to.

幽霊||๏ ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ, ᴍᴇɴ, & ᴍᴜsɪᴄ Hexcoder's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

First depression then bipolar and borderline which I believe is correct.
    EDGELORD

Fɪʀsᴛ sᴇᴇᴋ ɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇꜰᴜʟ.

“Wᴏᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʜɪɴᴋᴇʀ ᴡʜᴏ ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴᴇʀ ʙᴜᴛ ᴏɴʟʏ ᴛʜᴇ sᴏɪʟ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴛs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɢʀᴏᴡ ɪɴ ʜɪᴍ.”

—Nɪᴇᴛᴢsᴄʜᴇ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I've been involved with psychiatrists for years, so I've had ample opportunity to get misdiagnosed. My misdiagnoses have included that one condition with a similar name to OCD, where you're very perfectionistic; and, very briefly, schizophrenia. My current diagnosis--and I'm not altogether sure it's correct--is bipolar.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I'll find out 10th October.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes ThisName liked this post