First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    no this thread doesn't assume one, where the fuck did i say everyone. i'm simply refering to the people who are struggling mentally if you're not then this thread does not apply to you.
    That's not what I meant. I was referring to the part I said below about handing out a diagnosis to everyone instead of helping them with their problems.

i probably could have worded it better but then finding the right words has never been my strong suit.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

@Yuu absolutely... to a point
    I bucked medication for the LONGEST time because of stigma and my husbands prejudices. A lot of people are in a similar position. The key is: make the lifestyle changes. If you’re too bad off to do so, accept medication to get you over the hump while you make those changes. If you make them and you’re no better off emotionally, then you may have a disorder that needs further (or life time) treatment.

My HUGE gripe is that too many GP’s are prescribing psychological medication when it’s not in their wheelhouse. I wouldn’t see an orthopedic surgeon for heart disease.
    But, I bucked that for a really long time too: “why am I going to pay someone to listen to me whine and complain?!”
    Because it’s the psychiatrist/psychologists job and they’re good at it. It’s their specialty.

Along the same line of thought... I don’t chastise my daughter for needing insulin or my son for needing medicine to control his blood pressure. Some of its choice. If I see them doing (not doing or eating) something that’s not in their best interest, I’ll nag and motivate them to do better. But a lot of it is faulty genes. There’s no willing yourself or exercising yourself out of certain conditions.

This isn’t our grandparents lifetime. We don’t HAVE to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, chin up and pretend problems don’t exist.
    We shouldn’t suffer if there’s something that can help (and it’s available to us).
    Likes prplchknz, Greed liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    That's not what I meant. I was referring to the part I said below about handing out a diagnosis to everyone instead of helping them with their problems.

i probably could have worded it better but then finding the right words has never been my strong suit.
    For me, getting diagnosed really helped me to understand my symptoms to manage my stress better. Mental health diagnoses can be limiting when it is yielded recklessly but they can also create a helpful framework for improvement.
    Likes prplchknz, Yuu, Zhaylin liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I cannot answer because I don't think I've been properly diagnosed yet. I've been irritated with how many times I've been kicked to the curb in my efforts to get help. With that said, I suspect I have Complex-PTSD, have probably had it for several years now. I was previously diagnosed, at the peak of me struggles/trauma with situational anxiety, which is basically temporary anxiety because of shitty circumstances. Then I was diagnosed with depression (no specific diagnosis as far as what kind). I have also been diagnosed with ADHD in both childhood and adulthood.

I personally do not think my depression matches any patterns other than those associated with PTSD, and although I haven't had an anxiety attack in years, when I did get them, it was always a trigger which brought me back to the time when I was trying to escape an abusive marriage/dealing with extreme abandonment.

Sometimes it's a struggle for me because I can crash down 50 levels in the blink of an eye over the most insignificant trigger. I'm very grateful to be able to identify when it's starting though so I can do my best to redirect my thoughts so that I don't spiral or hit the bottle.
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I experienced a pretty bad episode of depression for about a year. I guess it is about 7 or 8 years ago now. Made me much more empathetic of people suffering from this. It was truly horrible.

I hope this thread will be productive and help people. Personally, I’m keeping quiet this time around. I’ve participated in some real shitfests in the past on the subject. Best of luck.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker
    Likes prplchknz, Yuu, Chaotic Symphony, Zhaylin liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
    @Yuu absolutely... to a point
    I bucked medication for the LONGEST time because of stigma and my husbands prejudices. A lot of people are in a similar position. The key is: make the lifestyle changes. If you’re too bad off to do so, accept medication to get you over the hump while you make those changes. If you make them and you’re no better off emotionally, then you may have a disorder that needs further (or life time) treatment.

My HUGE gripe is that too many GP’s are prescribing psychological medication when it’s not in their wheelhouse. I wouldn’t see an orthopedic surgeon for heart disease.
    But, I bucked that for a really long time too: “why am I going to pay someone to listen to me whine and complain?!”
    Because it’s the psychiatrist/psychologists job and they’re good at it. It’s their specialty.

Along the same line of thought... I don’t chastise my daughter for needing insulin or my son for needing medicine to control his blood pressure. Some of its choice. If I see them doing (not doing or eating) something that’s not in their best interest, I’ll nag and motivate them to do better. But a lot of it is faulty genes. There’s no willing yourself or exercising yourself out of certain conditions.

This isn’t our grandparents lifetime. We don’t HAVE to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, chin up and pretend problems don’t exist.
    We shouldn’t suffer if there’s something that can help (and it’s available to us).
    Nah, it really wasn’t like that for me. I mean they treated me as I had a chemical imbalance in my brain when I didn’t. My brain was in fact reacting normally to the stimuli it was given. I did try the meds they prescribed but since their was nothing to fix biologically it really messed me up. I stopped taking them and my situation still sucked but at least I was stable.

....some of us still do have to “chin up”. In a world where everything has to be known and labelled to get any validity a lot of people fall through the cracks. I’ve tried to get help for many different things but am always met with “ You look/seem fine to me.” followed by a lecture about not tacking advantage of programs to help people who really need it.
    ...but this isn't a thread for such discussion so I’ll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    I hope this thread will be productive and help people. Personally, I’m keeping quiet this time around. I’ve participated in some real shitfests in the past on the subject. Best of luck.

Right?! You would think I’d have learned by now...or maybe wouldn’t. I can be a bit hard-headed.

Likes Population: 1, Zhaylin liked this post

Tempbanned

@Peter Deadpan and I know someone else said it but post is gone...

I have never heard the term, what differentiates complex PTSD from normal PTSD?

The PTSD diagnosis primarily focuses on a single event as the cause for the disorder. But people who have prolonged repeated trauma over a period of time will tend to have more enduring symptoms that affect things like emotional regulation, forming and maintaining relationships. Complex PTSD technically isn't an official diagnosis but many mental health experts have tried to push for it.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Consilience View Post
    The PTSD diagnosis primarily focuses on a single event as the cause for the disorder. But people who have prolonged repeated trauma over a period of time will tend to have more enduring symptoms that affect things like emotional regulation, forming and maintaining relationships. Complex PTSD technically isn't an official diagnosis but many mental health experts have tried to push for it.
    Hm. Some people who know me very well think I have something like this in very specific areas. Namely, in opening up with other people or asking for help because every time I’ve tried I’ve only received very negative responses.

I have never been diagnosed, because well, asking for help ends up with a “ Go away, you’re fine” or “ stop whining.” It’s ironic that it is such a self-perpetuating problem.
    Despite all of the issues I’ve had throughout my life the only one that has really caused any harm is being told
    “ Shuttup, you don’t have any issues.”

Likes awbro, Zhaylin liked this post