• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Misophonia

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
What Is Misophonia?

Anyone else relate to this? I have fairly intense reactions, get really agitated, when people make repetitive sounds- mainly those made with their body (sniffling drives me up the wall and makes me feel like I need to flee the room or punch someone immediately- makes me very jittery)

I wear ear plugs often just because certain sounds bother me so much. It doesnt really sound like anything but a special snowflake condition but... if thats the case Im just glad that the earplugs are a special snowflake solution I guess.

Anyways, anyone else experience this?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes probably, unless I am making the noise myself. Snoring especially does it, or when people tap things to get attention. That aggrivates me for some reason.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My hubby is super sensitive to noises. He, too, carries earplugs to use whenever we eat out and such. He HATED going anywhere with my kids, by car, when they were growing up. Their whispering, in the back seats, made him irrationally angry.

I’m fairly oblivious to most noise. I can easily tune and/or filter it out. EXCEPT when it’s an unknown noise from an unknown source. First, I get irrationally angry. In fact, I can almost RAGE about it. Once I investigate and identify it, I’m usually okay.

**EDIT**
Finally got out of bed and actually read the article. Funny how they mentioned windshield wipers. My hubby is always nagging me because I don't use them when he thinks I should. I laugh and fuss and say the rain isn't wet enough (light drizzles are the worst). It makes the wipes squeak which drives me bananas.
It also mentioned repetition, which I also can't stand (from others lol). My kids, TO THIS DAY, still annoy me with: "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mother, madre, mom.........." I have told them, since they were quite young, that I HATE repetition; and that if they try to bug me with, I'll ignore them. Which I do, but gosh is that SO hard when I want to throat punch them then duct tape their mouths.

My legs always hurt. If I cannot sit on them, then I bounce them. Even if I'm just at a red light or waiting in a drive-through line. That drives my hubby batty too, but there's no helping it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Shrieking kids.

I have incredibly sensitive hearing. I've been tested and i can hear well over the normal hearing range. Screaming children are so agitating that it leads to panic if they continue-and they always do. I try not to react but it's physical, not something I can help. People tell me it's very noticeable and describe it as "looking like someone has shoved a lightning rod through my spine during at thunderstorm."

Unfortunately, I live in an area where telling a child to be quiet is considered abuse. So EVERYWHERE you go in public children scream constantly and at inhuman decibels. I swear to God they know it bothers me and sometimes wait to scream until the get right next to me.

It's very frustrating because I get in trouble-for reacting- far more often than the children for screaming in public.

Oh, and lip-smacking. It's fucking gross and my freind will do it because he thinks it's "Funny" it really, REALLY isn't. He's lucky he hasn't been punched yet.

Jaguar

If you heard my brother chew, you would run out of the room. It really is that frigging bad. When he's eating, I just grab my shit and leave the kitchen. I don't make a sound when I eat - why is it so difficult for people to simply chew and shut the fuck up?

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do have some pretty sensitive hearing. I had a therapist think I had autism because of this? I probably don't. In terms of repetitive stuff, it's mostly clinking noises that tick me off, especially spoons, ugh. Also, anxiety sensory overload much? It makes it sound like people are screaming when I know they're not, and I start rocking back and forth, holding my ears. This technically still happens when I'm not anxious, except I know the noise is supposed to be loud, and I'm a very jumpy person anyway. I dread the sounds of thunder, crowds, fireworks, science experiments, alarm clocks(which luckily I don't need), and anything beepy. Yup, I've been told I flinch a lot xD .

Deprecator

"certain sounds trigger emotional or physiological responses that some might perceive as unreasonable give the circumstance. "

Pretty sure this was the basis of this TV episode here where certain everyday sounds kept triggering the protagonist, eventually to the point of insanity:

I can relate to a degree. Being forced to endure the sound of a crying child, smoke alarm or some other incessant beeping would put me on the verge of an existential crisis. I for one would gladly pay extra if ever there was a "no crying children" feature added to flights, especially considering that even to this day I still get nightmares from some of my previous flights.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hehe, I'm going to have to try to find that show [MENTION=34985]Deprecator[/MENTION] . That's how my hubby is when I ramble on and on. Unlike the wife in the show, though, I can pick up on his annoyance.

And yes! Crying babies are one of the worst noises in the world. I surprise people when I say I dislike babies. Give them to me when they're 3-5 and I'm golden. I like being TOLD what the heck is wrong. Though, now that I think about it, I don't know if it's the noise that triggers me or my own incompetence over discerning their needs.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Hehe, I'm going to have to try to find that show [MENTION=34985]Deprecator[/MENTION] . That's how my hubby is when I ramble on and on. Unlike the wife in the show, though, I can pick up on his annoyance.

And yes! Crying babies are one of the worst noises in the world. I surprise people when I say I dislike babies. Give them to me when they're 3-5 and I'm golden. I like being TOLD what the heck is wrong. Though, now that I think about it, I don't know if it's the noise that triggers me or my own incompetence over discerning their needs.

I guess children in this area are just spoiled-stupid. My friends daughter, at 4 yrs old, just spat up food she didn't like without a word. When you asked " Do you not like it" she made a "Yucky face" and violently shook her head. Of course I get to hear how smart she is every day.

The children who scream in public here are anywhere between 2-12. It's pretty pathetic.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hehe, at 4 that's pretty par for the course :rofl1:
Of course, it shouldn't be encouraged though (which also means containing your own giggles or smiles, which make them think their behavior is okay).

Screaming though? If they're outside playing, some of that is okay. As much as I hate the noise, they do need an outlet. But temper tantrums in restaurants or stores? Take their butts outside, please. DEFINITELY don't give in.

One thing that get's on my last nerve, for parents, is when they rough house their kid (playing), but then get insulted, strict and punishing when the kids goes up and pops them. Little kids, especially, have a really hard time knowing when it's okay sometimes but not others.
And parents who tease their kid and then punish them once they finally have a break down :ranting:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
My ex used to manage to make it sound like he was chewing with his mouth open and swishing his food between his teeth while his mouth was really shut.

He literally gave me misophonia like it was fucking herpes and I've never wanted to stab anyone more.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
If that's what this is, then I've experienced it a great deal. However I think I'm also guilty of making the same noises, so it's a strange hypocrisy.

I've become more numb to it lately however, I have to be. Barking dogs and loud (Bengal) cats are extremely piercing to the ears. But to this day I still cannot sleep without earplugs; every little sound makes me shoot up in bed like I've hit a static shock.

I have a teenage neighbor that bounces a damn basketball all of the funking time in the parking lot right outside my bedroom window. I want to shove that funking basketball so far up his ass that they’ll be able to adjust the air pressure through his mouth.

Does that qualify? :)

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’m similar, [MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION]. I pop my fingers more times a day than should be humanly possible... but also my instep, toes, elbows, back, sternum etc etc etc rofl. With Ehlers-Danlos I MUST pop them or I’m in extreme pain.
Yet, the sounds of people popping their own knuckles drives me batty.
I also can’t stand people fidgeting or bouncing their legs. I’m the worst leg bouncer I’ve ever known :D
[MENTION=22257]Tater[/MENTION] , why would you torture us like that?! (heheh, thankfully, it wouldn’t load for me so I missed out. The internet is lagging tonight because of the storm)

Rofl, [MENTION=33707]Population: 1[/MENTION] yes, that counts. I would be just as grumbly too!

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anything loud or sudden and I'm known to easily jump at things. Like I can feel it reverberate through my body. And it is most unpleasant.

Some thought it was because I was easily scared. Lol. I rarely feel actual fear. My female friend hid behind me because of big dogs (like pitbulls) running towards us at night and I didn't care whatsoever. Been cornered by aggressive big dogs and didn't show nor feel any fear. Nearly got hit by cars. Didn't care. I think it's just that I am sensitive to what's unexpected. I prefer some level of predictability.

Dan the INFP man

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Yeah, I’m pretty sure I have this. Sniffing, coughing, excessive throat clearing, sneezing, chewing, slurping, snoring, anything like that drives me insane. The worst is the sniffing, it makes me want to throw a kleenex box at the people doing it. There are times where I’ve brought the offending person a box of Kleenex and they refused to use them. I don’t understand it and hate it.

Church services are often the worst because there are a lot of old people that have the emphysema style cough and the rest are constantly throat clearing. Watching End Game a couple weeks ago was maddening because a sniffer was next to me in the theater for a 3 hour movie.