Thread: Misophonia

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

Default Misophonia

What Is Misophonia?

Anyone else relate to this? I have fairly intense reactions, get really agitated, when people make repetitive sounds- mainly those made with their body (sniffling drives me up the wall and makes me feel like I need to flee the room or punch someone immediately- makes me very jittery)

I wear ear plugs often just because certain sounds bother me so much. It doesnt really sound like anything but a special snowflake condition but... if thats the case Im just glad that the earplugs are a special snowflake solution I guess.

Anyways, anyone else experience this?
    Likes Zhaylin, Deprecator liked this post

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Not me, but I know people that fit the profile.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Yes probably, unless I am making the noise myself. Snoring especially does it, or when people tap things to get attention. That aggrivates me for some reason.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

My hubby is super sensitive to noises. He, too, carries earplugs to use whenever we eat out and such. He HATED going anywhere with my kids, by car, when they were growing up. Their whispering, in the back seats, made him irrationally angry.

I’m fairly oblivious to most noise. I can easily tune and/or filter it out. EXCEPT when it’s an unknown noise from an unknown source. First, I get irrationally angry. In fact, I can almost RAGE about it. Once I investigate and identify it, I’m usually okay.

**EDIT**
    Finally got out of bed and actually read the article. Funny how they mentioned windshield wipers. My hubby is always nagging me because I don't use them when he thinks I should. I laugh and fuss and say the rain isn't wet enough (light drizzles are the worst). It makes the wipes squeak which drives me bananas.
    It also mentioned repetition, which I also can't stand (from others lol). My kids, TO THIS DAY, still annoy me with: "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mother, madre, mom.........." I have told them, since they were quite young, that I HATE repetition; and that if they try to bug me with, I'll ignore them. Which I do, but gosh is that SO hard when I want to throat punch them then duct tape their mouths.

My legs always hurt. If I cannot sit on them, then I bounce them. Even if I'm just at a red light or waiting in a drive-through line. That drives my hubby batty too, but there's no helping it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Shrieking kids.

I have incredibly sensitive hearing. I've been tested and i can hear well over the normal hearing range. Screaming children are so agitating that it leads to panic if they continue-and they always do. I try not to react but it's physical, not something I can help. People tell me it's very noticeable and describe it as "looking like someone has shoved a lightning rod through my spine during at thunderstorm."

Unfortunately, I live in an area where telling a child to be quiet is considered abuse. So EVERYWHERE you go in public children scream constantly and at inhuman decibels. I swear to God they know it bothers me and sometimes wait to scream until the get right next to me.

It's very frustrating because I get in trouble-for reacting- far more often than the children for screaming in public.

Oh, and lip-smacking. It's fucking gross and my freind will do it because he thinks it's "Funny" it really, REALLY isn't. He's lucky he hasn't been punched yet.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."
    Likes Zhaylin, SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Parody Parrot
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Anyways, anyone else experience this?
    Totally.

On a sidenote : Science Says People Who're Annoyed By Chewing Sounds Are More Creative
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave

If you heard my brother chew, you would run out of the room. It really is that frigging bad. When he's eating, I just grab my shit and leave the kitchen. I don't make a sound when I eat - why is it so difficult for people to simply chew and shut the fuck up?
    "Your signature, senator, is to have a plan for everything. Except this."
    Likes Yuurei, highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so

I do have some pretty sensitive hearing. I had a therapist think I had autism because of this? I probably don't. In terms of repetitive stuff, it's mostly clinking noises that tick me off, especially spoons, ugh. Also, anxiety sensory overload much? It makes it sound like people are screaming when I know they're not, and I start rocking back and forth, holding my ears. This technically still happens when I'm not anxious, except I know the noise is supposed to be loud, and I'm a very jumpy person anyway. I dread the sounds of thunder, crowds, fireworks, science experiments, alarm clocks(which luckily I don't need), and anything beepy. Yup, I've been told I flinch a lot xD .
    Phleg-Mel/Hufflepuff/Aries Sun, Aquarius Moon, Leo Rising

𝔐𝔶 𝔭𝔲𝔯𝔭𝔩𝔢 𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔠𝔢,
    𝔒𝔲𝔯 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔠𝔞𝔰𝔱𝔩𝔢 𝔞𝔴𝔞𝔦𝔱𝔰
    ℑ 𝔩𝔬𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔱𝔬 𝔰𝔱𝔞𝔯𝔰 ✰✰✰✰
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

"certain sounds trigger emotional or physiological responses that some might perceive as unreasonable give the circumstance. "

Pretty sure this was the basis of this TV episode here where certain everyday sounds kept triggering the protagonist, eventually to the point of insanity:

I can relate to a degree. Being forced to endure the sound of a crying child, smoke alarm or some other incessant beeping would put me on the verge of an existential crisis. I for one would gladly pay extra if ever there was a "no crying children" feature added to flights, especially considering that even to this day I still get nightmares from some of my previous flights.
    Likes Yuurei, Zhaylin liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Hehe, I'm going to have to try to find that show @Deprecator . That's how my hubby is when I ramble on and on. Unlike the wife in the show, though, I can pick up on his annoyance.

And yes! Crying babies are one of the worst noises in the world. I surprise people when I say I dislike babies. Give them to me when they're 3-5 and I'm golden. I like being TOLD what the heck is wrong. Though, now that I think about it, I don't know if it's the noise that triggers me or my own incompetence over discerning their needs.
    Likes Deprecator, Yuurei liked this post