• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Misophonia

Greed

#1 thot
why does this need a specific name? most people get annoyed by certain sounds.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There seems to be a connection between misophonia, ASMR [Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response], and synesthesia.

Increased misophonia in self-reported Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response
In summary, the current findings suggest increased levels of misophonia among individuals reporting ASMR relative to controls with respect to all subscales of the Misphonia Questionnaire (Wu et al., 2014) including Misophonia Symptom Scale, Misophonia Emotions and Behaviors Scale and Misophonia Severity Scale. These results are in line with previous suggestions that ASMR and misophonia represent two ends of the same sound sensitivity spectrum (Barratt & Davis, 2015).
Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR): a flow-like mental state
A high prevalence of synaesthesia (5.9%) within the sample suggests a possible link between ASMR and synaesthesia, similar to that of misophonia.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

It’s just Latin. No one has added “ syndrom” or asked “ who suffers from?” so it’s no a big deal.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I don't know that misophonia is simply being annoyed by certain sounds. The symptoms can vary from irritation to feeling panicked or enraged. But to my knowledge it isn't recognized by ICD-10 or DSM-IV, V so it's not a disorder in itself.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Sorry to be this person (or maybe I'm not, I don't know), but I think people tend to gravitate toward obscure labels, even when they don't qualify for them.

Anything that is a disorder is labeled as such because it upsets the order, and if you get mad when Julie from HR smacks her gum, but don't actually do anything outward about it that drastically affects your life negatively, you probably don't have misophonia.

Edit: I see ceecee's statement about it not being recognized in the DSM, which I respect, but I still stand by my statement. People try too hard to be "different".

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Also, my most recent (ex-)boyfriend is the ONLY person who has ever drove me to intense internal rage over his eating noises, which sounded like his mouth was open and he was swishing his food, even when his mouth was shut.

I still don't claim misophonia.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My daughter, Miley, just might suffer from this to some degree. Her reactions to certain noises are just so over the top. Like, whenever the Pup vocalizes AT ALL, Miley becomes enraged and has stated many times that she just wants to punch the dog in his face :dry:
She and one of my other kids have expressed a deep hatred for the sound of wet cotton rubbing together. I always give them a wth look, lol. They say it’s worse than nails across a chalkboard.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't know that misophonia is simply being annoyed by certain sounds. The symptoms can vary from irritation to feeling panicked or enraged. But to my knowledge it isn't recognized by ICD-10 or DSM-IV, V so it's not a disorder in itself.

Yep. This is how I am with high frequencies.
I always know when old CRT TV's/security cameras are nearby and I can't go any furrier in their direction or I'll lose my shit.

I've also heard this referred to as "sense" because ti is something one merely "senses" in their head. I myself could never explain the sensation and only realize that I was 'hearing" after doing some research.

It's all about perspective; some want to say it is yet another 'disorder" to "suffer" from, some may say or a super-human ability, or it could be just another individual trait.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Yep. This is how I am with high frequencies.
I always know when old CRT TV's/security cameras are nearby and I can't go any furrier in their direction or I'll lose my shit.

I've also heard this referred to as "sense" because ti is something one merely "senses" in their head. I myself could never explain the sensation and only realize that I was 'hearing" after doing some research.

It's all about perspective; some want to say it is yet another 'disorder" to "suffer" from, some may say or a super-human ability, or it could be just another individual trait.

I have this ability too but it doesn't bother me. When I was a kid in school, I could always tell when we were gonna watch a video in a class because I could somehow sense the TV was on upon walking in the room, even if the screen was black and volume non-existent. I'm not an observant person, so the sense always precluded seeing the TV placed anywhere in particular, sometimes if wasn't moved from it's normal place at all.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
The beating of the heart! Do you not hear it?!?! How does the heart still beat beneath the floorboards?!?! HOW DO YOU NOT HEAR IT?

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I literally never experienced this until my freshman year of college when I had a bitch ass, bum ass roommate who had terrible sleep apnea that she did nothing about, a constant sinus infection, and would moan and smack her lips whenever she yawned. every time she did any one of these things my whole body would tense and I would hyperventilate b/c it just made me so mad

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I honestly dont see the big deal with identifying with things a person relates to. As long as they arent staking their entire identity on a thing or concept- it seems fairly healthy to be able to look at something and be like- nope- or yes.

I dont want to go into that further because I dont want anyone to think Im passive aggressively trying to imply anything about their character or anything- because Im not. Im making fairly broad brush statements saying- why shit on anyone for trying to understand themselves?

Anyways. I posted this because I relate to it- not because Im trying to “claim it” or be special or something. There are plenty plenty of things about me that are totally boring and normal- just like anyone else.

*shrugs*

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What Is Misophonia?

Anyone else relate to this? I have fairly intense reactions, get really agitated, when people make repetitive sounds- mainly those made with their body (sniffling drives me up the wall and makes me feel like I need to flee the room or punch someone immediately- makes me very jittery)

I wear ear plugs often just because certain sounds bother me so much. It doesnt really sound like anything but a special snowflake condition but... if thats the case Im just glad that the earplugs are a special snowflake solution I guess.

Anyways, anyone else experience this?

there are like 2 things that fit that bill for me.

1. Someone like sucking air from a cup. that sound grates my soul.

2. Bone popping. I hate when people crack their knuckles and stuff in front of me because for some reason it is like I get a pain response in my brain. I'm not joshing. Its like I cringe as if it hurt. XD

Dan the INFP man

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
The other day, again, some lady while waiting at the eye doctor clinic, cannot stop sniffing. There's a kleenex box 2 feet away. Thankfully hervname was called, I don't think I could have tolerated another minute of it.

Can't wait for winter when sniffing goes crazy.

One of the more frustrating things about this is how often if you ask someone nicely to stop, they won't, and instead tell you to get over it.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Chewing. Also the discorant melody of cubed ice over crushed.