First 1234 Last

Thread: Misophonia

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    10 seconds is all I could take.

why does this need a specific name? most people get annoyed by certain sounds.

There seems to be a connection between misophonia, ASMR [Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response], and synesthesia.

Increased misophonia in self-reported Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response
    In summary, the current findings suggest increased levels of misophonia among individuals reporting ASMR relative to controls with respect to all subscales of the Misphonia Questionnaire (Wu et al., 2014) including Misophonia Symptom Scale, Misophonia Emotions and Behaviors Scale and Misophonia Severity Scale. These results are in line with previous suggestions that ASMR and misophonia represent two ends of the same sound sensitivity spectrum (Barratt & Davis, 2015).
    Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR): a flow-like mental state
    A high prevalence of synaesthesia (5.9%) within the sample suggests a possible link between ASMR and synaesthesia, similar to that of misophonia.
    "What makes me think of me
    is the poor jerk who wanders out on air
    and then looks down. Below his feet, he sees
    eternity, and suddenly his shoes
    no longer work on nothingness, and down
    he goes. As I fall past, remember me."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Greed View Post
    It’s just Latin. No one has added “ syndrom” or asked “ who suffers from?” so it’s no a big deal.
    “ Rise up and raise the iron roof off
    Now, Rise up and riot 'til the bomb drops
    Now, Rise up the time is right to sound off, so
    Rise with me, rise with me, rise with me (RISE UP!)”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Greed View Post
    I don't know that misophonia is simply being annoyed by certain sounds. The symptoms can vary from irritation to feeling panicked or enraged. But to my knowledge it isn't recognized by ICD-10 or DSM-IV, V so it's not a disorder in itself.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Sorry to be this person (or maybe I'm not, I don't know), but I think people tend to gravitate toward obscure labels, even when they don't qualify for them.

Anything that is a disorder is labeled as such because it upsets the order, and if you get mad when Julie from HR smacks her gum, but don't actually do anything outward about it that drastically affects your life negatively, you probably don't have misophonia.

Edit: I see ceecee's statement about it not being recognized in the DSM, which I respect, but I still stand by my statement. People try too hard to be "different".
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Also, my most recent (ex-)boyfriend is the ONLY person who has ever drove me to intense internal rage over his eating noises, which sounded like his mouth was open and he was swishing his food, even when his mouth was shut.

I still don't claim misophonia.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

My daughter, Miley, just might suffer from this to some degree. Her reactions to certain noises are just so over the top. Like, whenever the Pup vocalizes AT ALL, Miley becomes enraged and has stated many times that she just wants to punch the dog in his face
    She and one of my other kids have expressed a deep hatred for the sound of wet cotton rubbing together. I always give them a wth look, lol. They say it’s worse than nails across a chalkboard.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I don't know that misophonia is simply being annoyed by certain sounds. The symptoms can vary from irritation to feeling panicked or enraged. But to my knowledge it isn't recognized by ICD-10 or DSM-IV, V so it's not a disorder in itself.

Yep. This is how I am with high frequencies.
    I always know when old CRT TV's/security cameras are nearby and I can't go any furrier in their direction or I'll lose my shit.

I've also heard this referred to as "sense" because ti is something one merely "senses" in their head. I myself could never explain the sensation and only realize that I was 'hearing" after doing some research.

It's all about perspective; some want to say it is yet another 'disorder" to "suffer" from, some may say or a super-human ability, or it could be just another individual trait.
    “ Rise up and raise the iron roof off
    Now, Rise up and riot 'til the bomb drops
    Now, Rise up the time is right to sound off, so
    Rise with me, rise with me, rise with me (RISE UP!)”

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Yep. This is how I am with high frequencies.
    I always know when old CRT TV's/security cameras are nearby and I can't go any furrier in their direction or I'll lose my shit.

I've also heard this referred to as "sense" because ti is something one merely "senses" in their head. I myself could never explain the sensation and only realize that I was 'hearing" after doing some research.

It's all about perspective; some want to say it is yet another 'disorder" to "suffer" from, some may say or a super-human ability, or it could be just another individual trait.
    I have this ability too but it doesn't bother me. When I was a kid in school, I could always tell when we were gonna watch a video in a class because I could somehow sense the TV was on upon walking in the room, even if the screen was black and volume non-existent. I'm not an observant person, so the sense always precluded seeing the TV placed anywhere in particular, sometimes if wasn't moved from it's normal place at all.