User Tag List

Default Belief and Critical Thinking

Critical Thinking starts with our deeply held beliefs usually religious. Some religions regard this as blasphemy, while others observe a code of silence, and don't acknowledge the existence of critical thinking about their religion.

But this is only the beginning. What belief could be deeper than our religious beliefs? It is the belief in our own emotions. How could our emotions possibly be deluded? Our emotions are as close to us as our breath. Yet the Clinically Depressed are psychotic, out of touch with emotional reality, and emotionally deluded.

Yet time and time again the Depressed will deny they are emotionally deluded. Emotional delusion is a deeply held belief, deeper than religious belief, impervious to critical thinking.

Our besetting belief here, impervious to critical thinking, is the belief that 'it is all about me'.

This is not only a delusion, it is a shared delusion, all the more powerful for that, and worse it is an unconscious delusion, impossible to shake.

All delusions operate below the critical mind and are entrancing. We can beat a delusion with another delusion, or we can dissolve a delusion by introducing small extraneous elements to the delusive trance.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I thought you enjoyed the trance state. Now you call it delusive...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I thought you enjoyed the trance state. Now you call it delusive...
    In the trance state our critical mind goes to sleep for a while. So it is important to learn how to enter and leave a trance safely at will, and to learn how to use a particular trance for a particular purpose. Sports' psychologists give practical classes in trance, usually to improve athletic performance.

However trances can be addictive, or exploitative, or deceptive. So it is a good idea to be given a suggestion, while we are in a deep trance, that we will never allow ourselves to be hypnotised against our will.

So we start to see how trances may be used. In a trance we become more susceptible to suggestion the deeper we go. So it is important to give ourselves good suggestions. And it is best to decide on the suggestion before we go into the trance.

My favourite trance is a walking meditation where I allow myself to enjoy the beauty around me.

IQ of 3000
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

My favourite trance is a walking meditation where I allow myself to enjoy the beauty around me.
    It's the right season for that here, listening to the red-winged blackbirds, and seeing the carpet of blue-violet and green before me.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Default It's all about me.

Three thousand years of the phonetic alphabet is coming to an end, and the phonetic alphabet is now the content of the net. Look in front of you right now and you are looking at the phonetic alphabet as content of the net.

The phonetic alphabet gave us the book, the religion of the Book, the author, and the Author of the Universe, and last but not least, the literate individual. But the literate individual is now the content of the net. And you dear reader are right now the content of the net.

Interestingly, as we are relegated to content, we rise in status. And we are proud of being literate individuals. In fact it is our deeply held belief: we believe 'it is all about me', why even God loves me as an individual.

But as I look around, I see the world is much, much bigger than me. And I can see my belief that 'it is all about me' is a mistake.

Critical thinking examines our beliefs.

For instance the Clinically Depressed deny they suffer emotional delusions and believe their emotions reflect reality.

Critical thinking can reveal a belief is a delusion.

And it is not only the Clinically Depressed who believe they are not deluded, but the religious or spiritual also believe they are not deluded.

We love our delusions so much we cling to them against reason and the evidence.

We discover our beliefs are delusions through cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful, and is not for the fainthearted. No wonder we are deluded.

Mole you're pretty consistent in your beliefs.

I dont see you critically evaluate them so much as simply repeat them. Just an observation.

Critical thinking is fine, I think it can perform some important or significant functions in the service of life and freedom, although more often than not I just see people mention it in a lazy sort of fashion which is short hand for "its a good idea to be critical about all thinking besides my own".

The same as a lot of the time the people who boast about being the most open minded, most liberal, most free and independent thinking see upon closer attention to be just as likely to be repeating a script they picked up pre-packed somewhere as anyone else.