• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does trauma increase or decrease empathy for others?

rav3n

Yup. I do think I have a choice at some point in the chain.
If given the choice between being poverty stricken or a multimillionaire who earned their money through ethical actions, which would you choose?

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If given the choice between being poverty stricken or a multimillionaire who earned their money through ethical actions, which would you choose?

I'm not sure.

rav3n

Because having anything you want, whenever you want doesn't always provide the best learning experiences in life.
Having the option for such, doesn't preclude other experiences. This negates your conception of choice since you're presuming that the option for a life of ease, results in a life of ease. It's possible that a multimillionaire puts their lives and fortune towards helping others and/or experiencing hardship by living with the poverty stricken, as someone poverty stricken.

So, once again, I ask you the same question. Which would you choose, being poverty stricken or being an ethical multimillionaire?

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Having the option for such, doesn't preclude other experiences. This negates your conception of choice since you're presuming that the option for a life of ease, results in a life of ease. It's possible that a multimillionaire puts their lives and fortune towards helping others and/or experiencing hardship by living with the poverty stricken, as someone poverty stricken.

So, once again, I ask you the same question. Which would you choose, being poverty stricken or being an ethical multimillionaire?

You're trying to influence the results of your own experiment.

Science is dead. Quantum Mechanics killed it.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not at all. I'm working off your premise of choice.

You're acting like I can't think for myself. I gave my answer, you questioned it, I explained, you tampered with the data, and now you are trying to act like what you said shows no bias.

But do you really want to know the real reason why I can't decide?

rav3n

You're acting like I can't think for myself. I gave my answer, you questioned it, I explained, you tampered with the data, and now you are trying to act like what you said shows no bias.

But do you really want to know the real reason why I can't decide?
Sure, explain why you can't decide.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, explain why you can't decide.

Because hard times (war) teaches more than abondance (peace) does. So the question you are asking isn't the question you are asking, but is a shadow of the question. You are basically asking me this: Would you rather struggle and learn or have it easy? That is the way I see the question. You are assuming that wealth and deprivation are in a vacuum, but they are not. To assume I would choose comfort over learning something is the POV of materialistic hedonism.

Their gods are their belly.

rav3n

Because hard times (war) teaches more than abondance (peace) does. So the question you are asking isn't the question you are asking, but is a shadow of the question. You are basically asking me this: Would you rather struggle and learn or have it easy? That is the way I see the question. You are assuming that wealth and deprivation are in a vacuum, but they are not. To assume I would choose comfort over learning something is the POV of materialistic hedonism.
But that wasn't my question, only your interpretation of my question. Also, I didn't manipulate the data, only broached another possibility which you didn't consider but should have considered, premised on your conception of choice. And something else that you didn't consider. Since the multimillionaire earned their money through ethical means, there's no reference to how they began, perhaps coming from a war torn country, pre-equipped with knowledge and traveled the hard road to success.

My question was simple and should easily be answered so here it is again.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In what manner?

If you admit you said that it means at the VERY LEAST I was right and you don't think I can think for myself. And if you can't "prove" there wasn't an alternate perspective where I had actually considered what you were telling me, then I was right about you tampering with the evidence. That would also mean I was right about you being biased and right about you trying to influence the results of your own experiment which is evidence in itself that I was AT LEAST partially right that science is dead.

rav3n

If you admit you said that it means at the VERY LEAST I was right and you don't think I can think for myself. And if you can't "prove" there wasn't an alternate perspective where I had actually considered what you were telling me, then I was right about you tampering with the evidence. That would also mean I was right about you being biased and right about you trying to influence the results of your own experiment which is evidence in itself that I was AT LEAST partially right that science is dead.
This is completely irrelevant to our discussion. It began with a simple question which you've avoided and when expressed why you're avoiding answering it, you give two different reasons of which neither is valid, relative to many possibilities premised on your own 'choice' premise.

Let's lay this out clearly and simply. You've oversimplified 'choice' and 'belief'. If one believes something, they may not have a choice to believe such because of both context and limitations in abilities. But they also might have a choice and an accurate belief, within the right context and considering their abilities.

Not everyone who wants to become president, becomes the president, regardless of their choices. There are thousands of politicians who haven't attained the position, even though they believe they should be the president and have made the right choices to work themselves to that level. Some can't because they can't handle stress where neuroticism isn't a choice. They also can't believe themselves out of neuroticism.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Are you a serious person?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Increases. Though empathy can lead to sadism just as easily as kindness.