User Tag List

First 8910

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

Oh, IDK, I thought maybe COMMUNICATING would be a good idea.
    There is a very thin line that separates genius from madness and it is a red line that is razor sharp.
    Be careful what you expose yourself to because it could very well ruin you.

Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ?

Neither. Capacity for empathy stays the same I think, but it decreases someone's willingness to build on their feelings for others. For me, I disconnect more, become more cautious, and start to care less what people want or expect from me, even though I can empathize with them. But if people show they are trustworthy, not abusive, and well-meaning that let's me build on the empathy I already had for them. But then again, a psychopath probably has a different understanding of this.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

If this were a matter of sequential logic and distinction, then it might go someway to solving some of our worst habits and problems as a species.

Unfortunately it seems more tied to a nebulous concept of character, which is changable, but not too much. Someone who needs to be taken thousands of miles to see the suffering of others in order to care, was likely never going to be charitable to begin with, some other rationalisation will kick in. Coversely, someone who understands without the exposure is more likely to give freely.

But these are black and white examples, there are generally more degrees inbetween.

Dickin's A Christmas Carol is the perfect example of that desire to change, the hope that one can change and that it is never too late. To be better than yesterday.

Sadly, life is not a story, at least, not that kind. It's more up in the air than that.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Trauma can decrease empathy when it creates hyper-arousal, and increase empathy in case where the individual is not so frazzled and terrified that they cannot attend to the needs of others; in this situation it might be the more beneficial (interpersonally) ability to empathize with a unique situations that perhaps most who do not have insight (into human behavior; could be through anything - studying, personal experiences...) plus interpersonal skills not having gone "offline" due to overarousal
    that's one example I can think of anyway there are probably others

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    If this were a matter of sequential logic and distinction, then it might go someway to solving some of our worst habits and problems as a species.

Unfortunately it seems more tied to a nebulous concept of character, which is changable, but not too much. Someone who needs to be taken thousands of miles to see the suffering of others in order to care, was likely never going to be charitable to begin with, some other rationalisation will kick in. Coversely, someone who understands without the exposure is more likely to give freely.

But these are black and white examples, there are generally more degrees inbetween.

Dickin's A Christmas Carol is the perfect example of that desire to change, the hope that one can change and that it is never too late. To be better than yesterday.

Sadly, life is not a story, at least, not that kind. It's more up in the air than that.
    Most recently I've been reading about attachment style and some speculations (really its another instance of research needs to be done) about it being patterned differently between national populations.

I think that trauma and recovery and possible impairment could be as bigger or bigger an issue when it comes to the fate of national populations, even internal populations of distinctive character. This is speculative too though, I've not done the research, plus repetition compulsion, remembrance ritual and all that looks different one culture to another, or even one traumatic episode to another. Its a talking point I guess.

Plus I think a lot of stress theories of crisis have been weaponized, virtually, by cyber crime, cyber warfare spooks etc. etc.

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

They
    With all due respect,
    The Cat.

I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...
    I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now.
    Who knows what goes on in the mind of a cat?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

I know I've posted here before, but this issue is a big deal to me on a personal level. Trauma increases empathy. People who have not had certain kinds of pain are the first to dismiss it in others. Most of the people I know who have significant amounts of pain, whether that be severe health issues, violence, abuse, mental illness, etc. are dismissed on a regular basis by people who haven't suffered much. It is a basic fact that people in pain end up alone because most of their friends leave. People connect through pleasure and avoid each other through pain. The people with the easier lives always feel 100% entitled to dismiss the pain of others because it doesn't fit into their paradigms. People with trauma have worked out pain into their paradigms and so have the capacity to see it, they aren't afraid of it, they can look it straight in the eyes, and if they have worked through it themselves, they can shine a light on the darkest of paths.

As a private piece of information - The majority of the time I avoid anyone who hasn't had much trauma because they are more likely to instruct to make the pain go away with their good A+ answers instead of listening. They too often have a sweet, smiling, unintentional cruelty that quotes way too many inspirational memes.
    bunny omi

Likes The Cat, Venus Rose liked this post