• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Death, Emotion and Success

Mole

Permabanned
I belong to a wealthy powerful institution where it is forbidden to talk about death or emotion.

My institution puts major sustained effort into success and in suppressing talk of death and emotion. If we were able to talk about death and emotion, we could double the effort we put into success.

How do you think we could do this?

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you a jedi?

in more seriousness, is this a cultural thing? i know in the US the topic of death feels very taboo and let's pretend around it.

i don't really understand wanting to avoid either topic. i feel like the ability to start talking about it would have to start within the people and making them want to talk about this.

Mole

Permabanned
Are you a jedi? in more seriousness, is this a cultural thing? i know in the US the topic of death feels very taboo and let's pretend around it. i don't really understand wanting to avoid either topic. i feel like the ability to start talking about it would have to start within the people and making them want to talk about this.

Quite so.

If we start talking about death or emotion, we start to be overwhelmed by emotion and we can no longer be successful. So we are in a double bind and there is no way out.

We need something extraordinary to get out of a double bind. What is it?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I belong to a wealthy powerful institution where it is forbidden to talk about death or emotion.

My institution puts major sustained effort into success and in suppressing talk of death and emotion. If we were able to talk about death and emotion, we could double the effort we put into success.

Quite so.

If we start talking about death or emotion, we start to be overwhelmed by emotion and we can no longer be successful. So we are in a double bind and there is no way out.
This doesn't hang together. Most people I know have no problem talking about death when it comes up or is necessary to discuss. We also don't need to talk about emotion to be overwhelmed by it. I at least rarely do either. I fail to see how any of this relates to success.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
There are two sorts f religion in the world; those which focus on life and those which focus on death/the afterlife and those which focus on life and the living.

Bhuddism and Ancient Greece are examples of religions which focus on life and the living.
Ancient Egypt and Catholisism are two religions which focus on the afterlife and promises it brings based on nothing but faith.

The problem with the latter is that if you give up the gift of life-your only life, what we know to exist here and now in pursuit of something which you aren't guaranteed ( and IMO does not exist at all) and to me it's one one of man's greatest atrocities against all living things. Because it does not only steal from believers, but those trying to make the best of their own lives.
The world is full hateful people who go out of their way to make the lives of the other's difficult in ways that do not affect them at all, because in their in their minds it does affect them and it is their business because they truly believe that forcing others to adhere to their beliefs will get them brownie pts with whichever God ( let's be honest, it's all the same one.)

The point in my rambling is that if our culture were based on a religion which celebrated life rather than ignoring it these these issues would not be so great.

Mole

Permabanned
This doesn't hang together. Most people I know have no problem talking about death when it comes up or is necessary to discuss. We also don't need to talk about emotion to be overwhelmed by it. I at least rarely do either. I fail to see how any of this relates to success.

It seems we put part of out energy into success and part of our energy into suppressing emotion. And if we learn to experience emotion safely, we will have more energy for success.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It seems we put part of out energy into success and part of our energy into suppressing emotion. And if we learn to experience emotion safely, we will have more energy for success.

Success is not the same for everyone. I know that really like to generalize but that isn't reality.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Experiencing emotion is safe enough, but can be quite counterproductive at times. I am far more successful when not distracted by it, and preventing such distraction generally requires minimal exertion. It is almost second nature. We all operate differently, though, so others may experience it otherwise.

rav3n

Emotion and discussions of death are fine in most institutions. It's once again, magnitude that drives forboden or not.

Mole

Permabanned
Emotion and discussions of death are fine in most institutions. It's once again, magnitude that drives forboden or not.
Institutions are based on the phonetic alphabet and printing, creating the literate individual, privileging the eye and suppressing our emotions.

And if we think 'it is all about me' we will be blind to institutions.

Mole

Permabanned
Experiencing emotion is safe enough, but can be quite counterproductive at times. I am far more successful when not distracted by it, and preventing such distraction generally requires minimal exertion. It is almost second nature. We all operate differently, though, so others may experience it otherwise.

"We all operate differently" although there are 7.5 thousand, thousand, thousand of us alive today, all divided into 16 types.

This makes no sense.It makes more sense to analyse 7.5 billion people by institution, unless we believe 'it is all about me".

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"We all operate differently" although there are 7.5 thousand, thousand, thousand of us alive today, all divided into 16 types.

This makes no sense.It makes more sense to analyse 7.5 billion people by institution, unless we believe 'it is all about me".
And to think: some people insist on sorting us into just two bins, male and female, as if that says anything significant about us.

Mole

Permabanned
And to think: some people insist on sorting us into just two bins, male and female, as if that says anything significant about us.

Oh come on, only one of us has been put in the sin bin, not both of us.

raskol

I'm going out on a limb here, but I assume that this is one of those rare occasions where you deploy metaphor in communication. You see, the British Commonwealth possesses two simultaneously wealthy and powerful institutions, neither of which are open to commoners. What you are referring to is Western academia at large, which by now has lost most of its Oxbridge extravaganza.

All that aside, it strikes me as alien to point out the obvious unpleasantness of death and bottled up emotions. In the game of metaphor, discussing either one would be the equivalent of airing out one's dirty laundry for all to see, which borders on the intellectual equivalent of uninhibited flatulence. With that imagery in full view, you'll surely appreciate the extent to which such topics are anathema to high society.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm going out on a limb here, but I assume that this is one of those rare occasions where you deploy metaphor in communication. You see, the British Commonwealth possesses two simultaneously wealthy and powerful institutions, neither of which are open to commoners. What you are referring to is Western academia at large, which by now has lost most of its Oxbridge extravaganza. All that aside, it strikes me as alien to point out the obvious unpleasantness of death and bottled up emotions. In the game of metaphor, discussing either one would be the equivalent of airing out one's dirty laundry for all to see, which borders on the intellectual equivalent of uninhibited flatulence. With that imagery in full view, you'll surely appreciate the extent to which such topics are anathema to high society.
We have many powerful rich institutions for out economy has been growing nonstop for 28 years while others have falted more than once.

Last edited:

raskol

We have many powerful rich institutions for out economy has been growing nonstop for 28 years while others have falted more than once.
I thought you were Aussie, fam. Australia's GDP has followed every other modern Western economy for half a century, stuttering during the dot-com bubble of the 2000s and declining during the Great Recession a decade ago. If you're looking for economies that have grown for more than 27 years consecutively, then China and India remain.

Lol. Feel free to view my post as an anal-expulsive retort to your anal-retentive muttering.

By the way, what became of your defense of conversations involving death?

rav3n

Institutions are based on the phonetic alphabet and printing, creating the literate individual, privileging the eye and suppressing our emotions.

And if we think 'it is all about me' we will be blind to institutions.
It's a synergy, not the one way you're applying.

Mole

Permabanned
I thought you were Aussie, fam. Australia's GDP has followed every other modern Western economy for half a century, stuttering during the dot-com bubble of the 2000s and declining during the Great Recession a decade ago. If you're looking for economies that have grown for more than 27 years consecutively, then China and India remain. Lol. Feel free to view my post as an anal-expulsive retort to your anal-retentive muttering. By the way, what became of your defense of conversations involving death?
The reason we have grown non stop for 27 years is prudent regulation.
You would be well advised to follow our example.