User Tag List

123 Last

Default Danger and Trolls

If we read the book "Troll Hunting" by Ginger Gorman,we will find trolling is more dangerous than we thought.

Trolls are frequently from damaged, violent and neglected homes. If they had been raised with love and care, they would have turned out very differently.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    These are fantasy trolls, while the real trolls live amongst us, and are damaged, abused, and neglected children. And they are sadistic to show us, rather than tell us, what happened to them.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I was raised by a very broken (abusive) home. I was abused by just about every adult in my life. I can genuinely say that I did not ( and still not) understand what it is like to have a support system, loving or even caring, parents.
    But I'm not a troll. I can take responsibility for my own actions and behavior. There is no excuse.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."
    Likes raskol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    we will find trolling is more dangerous than we thought.
    How dangerous did we think trolling actually is? Using whatever subjective definition of troll that you'd like, what is the worse effect that you've experienced by a person that you've identified as a troll? Personally I've been on internet forums for well over a decade now and nothing in particular stands out.

In many ways I think the fear/ hysteria that revolves around trolls can be more detrimental than the actual trolling itself. For an example, in my experience on this forum many users who get accused of being trolls are merely members who would dare voice a thought or idea that is unpopular, which in my opinion only serves to foster an atmosphere of pseudo thought policing. Sure a given topic, perspective or opinion might not be outright banned according to forum rules per-se, but trying having a discussion about it and boy you can certainly expect an onslaught of personalized backlash.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

inb4 troll apologis--

oh. too late.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes raskol liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Deprecator View Post
    How dangerous did we think trolling actually is? Using whatever subjective definition of troll that you'd like, what is the worse effect that you've experienced by a person that you've identified as a troll? Personally I've been on internet forums for well over a decade now and nothing in particular stands out.

In many ways I think the fear/ hysteria that revolves around trolls can be more detrimental than the actual trolling itself. For an example, in my experience on this forum many users who get accused of being trolls are merely members who would dare voice a thought or idea that is unpopular, which in my opinion only serves to foster an atmosphere of pseudo thought policing. Sure a given topic, perspective or opinion might not be outright banned according to forum rules per-se, but trying having a discussion about it and boy you can certainly expect an onslaught of personalized backlash.
    How do you define troll?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

The same definition has been around since the 1990's:

Trolling: To make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

This isn't rocket science, people.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The same definition has been around since the 1990's:

Trolling: To make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

This isn't rocket science, people.
    All well and good as long as everyone is using the same standard definition. (Try that with feminism and see where it gets you.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes LucieCat liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    All well and good as long as everyone is using the same standard definition.
    Only in this forum have I ever seen someone try to change it. Then it begs the question - are they trying to change it so people won't call them a filthy troll? Food for thought.