• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Danger and Trolls

Mole

Permabanned
If we read the book "Troll Hunting" by Ginger Gorman,we will find trolling is more dangerous than we thought.

Trolls are frequently from damaged, violent and neglected homes. If they had been raised with love and care, they would have turned out very differently.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I was raised by a very broken (abusive) home. I was abused by just about every adult in my life. I can genuinely say that I did not ( and still not) understand what it is like to have a support system, loving or even caring, parents.
But I'm not a troll. I can take responsibility for my own actions and behavior. There is no excuse.

Deprecator

we will find trolling is more dangerous than we thought.
How dangerous did we think trolling actually is? Using whatever subjective definition of troll that you'd like, what is the worse effect that you've experienced by a person that you've identified as a troll? Personally I've been on internet forums for well over a decade now and nothing in particular stands out.

In many ways I think the fear/ hysteria that revolves around trolls can be more detrimental than the actual trolling itself. For an example, in my experience on this forum many users who get accused of being trolls are merely members who would dare voice a thought or idea that is unpopular, which in my opinion only serves to foster an atmosphere of pseudo thought policing. Sure a given topic, perspective or opinion might not be outright banned according to forum rules per-se, but trying having a discussion about it and boy you can certainly expect an onslaught of personalized backlash.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
inb4 troll apologis--

oh. too late. :dry:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How dangerous did we think trolling actually is? Using whatever subjective definition of troll that you'd like, what is the worse effect that you've experienced by a person that you've identified as a troll? Personally I've been on internet forums for well over a decade now and nothing in particular stands out.

In many ways I think the fear/ hysteria that revolves around trolls can be more detrimental than the actual trolling itself. For an example, in my experience on this forum many users who get accused of being trolls are merely members who would dare voice a thought or idea that is unpopular, which in my opinion only serves to foster an atmosphere of pseudo thought policing. Sure a given topic, perspective or opinion might not be outright banned according to forum rules per-se, but trying having a discussion about it and boy you can certainly expect an onslaught of personalized backlash.
How do you define troll?

Jaguar

The same definition has been around since the 1990's:

Trolling: To make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

This isn't rocket science, people.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The same definition has been around since the 1990's:

Trolling: To make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

This isn't rocket science, people.
All well and good as long as everyone is using the same standard definition. (Try that with feminism and see where it gets you.)

Jaguar

All well and good as long as everyone is using the same standard definition.

Only in this forum have I ever seen someone try to change it. Then it begs the question - are they trying to change it so people won't call them a filthy troll? Food for thought.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only in this forum have I ever seen someone try to change it. Then it begs the question - are they trying to change it so people won't call them a filthy troll? Food for thought.
That standard definition implies intentionality. Any advice on how we can reliably assess that?

Jaguar

That standard definition implies intentionality. Any advice on how we can reliably assess that?

If a guy creates a thread to discuss "fat, ugly women who need to be wiped off the planet" what exactly do you think he's doing - Algebra?

Trolling is definitely about intent.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If a guy creates a thread to discuss "fat, ugly women who need to be wiped off the planet" what exactly do you think he's doing - Algebra?

Trolling is definitely about intent.
What assumptions would you make about the intent of such a member?

(And what should I assume about the intent of someone who responds to a question with a question, rather than offering an answer?)

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I was raised by a very broken (abusive) home. I was abused by just about every adult in my life. I can genuinely say that I did not ( and still not) understand what it is like to have a support system, loving or even caring, parents. But I'm not a troll. I can take responsibility for my own actions and behavior. There is no excuse.

Brave beautiful Yuu.
This is what I find so fascinating about personality types and human behavior in general. What is it within one person that makes them able to still operate in a moral and humane way after experiencing certain atrocities and others to respond to such pain by infilicting pain on others.
It is the "whys" of our response to certain conditions that drive me to want to understand the human condition.

Jaguar

What assumptions would you make about the intent of such a member?

Jerking people's chains.

(And what should I assume about the intent of someone who responds to a question with a question, rather than offering an answer?)

Encouraging critical thinking involves asking questions. Whether you realize it or not, some people are actually wired to get others to think for themselves.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
These are fantasy trolls, while the real trolls live amongst us, and are damaged, abused, and neglected children. And they are sadistic to show us, rather than tell us, what happened to them.
This^^ some people experience such abuse ... all these movies show a fantasy version of real life behavior
vampires are people who manipulate and drain you and suck the life out of you.
trolls are those who have been damaged and through this damage they become a shadow of who they could have been.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jerking people's chains.
Can you imagine other purposes in making such a thread?

Encouraging critical thinking involves asking questions. Whether you realize it or not, some people are actually wired to get others to think for themselves.
Some people are wired to think for themselves without requiring the prompting others. Some of us also want to understand the perspectives of others. In fact, that is a common motivation on a site such as this. Refusing to answer questions limits that understanding and makes interaction rather one-sided. So, should I assume you don't want others to understand your perspective, or perhaps that you do not have a coherent perspective on this question?

Jaguar

Can you imagine other purposes in making such a thread?

Venting.

Some people are wired to think for themselves without requiring the prompting others. Some of us also want to understand the perspectives of others. In fact, that is a common motivation on a site such as this. Refusing to answer questions limits that understanding and makes interaction rather one-sided. So, should I assume you don't want others to understand your perspective, or perhaps that you do not have a coherent perspective on this question?

I posted a well-known definition of trolling. If you want to pretend it is not a definition, that is up to you. The rest is a needless distraction.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Brave beautiful Yuu.
This is what I find so fascinating about personality types and human behavior in general. What is it within one person that makes them able to still operate in a moral and humane way after experiencing certain atrocities and others to respond to such pain by infilicting pain on others.
It is the "whys" of our response to certain conditions that drive me to want to understand the human condition.

This is one if the world’s greatest questions, isn’t it?
I’ll spare you the details-I’m sure no one wants to hear it- but I’ve never been able to relate to even the people I was supposed to. We were so different, decades later, we still are and I cannot fathom what that difference is.

If a guy creates a thread to discuss "fat, ugly women who need to be wiped off the planet" what exactly do you think he's doing...

Enjoying a day that ends in “ Y” on PerC?

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist. * Slaps self with newspaper.*

Jaguar

This is one if the world’s greatest questions, isn’t it?
I’ll spare you the details-I’m sure no one wants to hear it- but I’ve never been able to relate to even the people I was supposed to. We were so different, decades later, we still are and I cannot fathom what that difference is.

Enjoying a day that ends in “ Y” on PerC?

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist. * Slaps self with newspaper.*

WTF? Why do I always laugh at your crazy shit? ;)