User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 39

  1. #21
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    11,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    inb4 troll apologis--

    oh. too late.
    Of course this guy is the troll apologist.... was being spoken by my inner monologue as I read your post.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    How do you define troll?
    I try to avoid using the term altogether simply because I try not to presume the intention of another member, which is a mentality that is only reinforced whenever other members try and publicly speculate about my own motives/ intentions. So while personally I might think that the use of such terminology has become rather diluted/ obsolete, what we can do is identify unwelcome behavior and set rules against that behavior. For an example, if as a community we don't want threads about how "group of people X deserve an untimely demise" then we can make rules against creating those types of threads, and thus any formal reprimand against a member can be made independently of perceived "troll" status.

    Still, I think it's interesting how I asked a question that no one could be bothered to answer: "as far the "dangers of trolling" are concerned, what is the worst effect that you've experienced as a result of a perceived troll?" In any event I don't know if it's a coincidence that immediately after asking this question this comment here pops up:

    Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    inb4 troll apologis--

    oh. too late.
    Regardless, all the members I've seen get publicly accused of being a troll have never come remotely close to creating thread topics like this one:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If a guy creates a thread to discuss "fat, ugly women who need to be wiped off the planet" what exactly do you think he's doing - Algebra?
    I feel that this fact only strengthens my earlier comment about how the fear/ hysteria around trolling seems to be a means of pseudo thought policing against unpopular opinions than anything else.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

  3. #23
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deprecator View Post
    I feel that this fact only strengthens my earlier comment about how the fear/ hysteria around trolling seems to be a means of pseudo thought policing against unpopular opinions than anything else.
    I must have missed the hysteria you're alluding to.

  4. #24
    awwwwwwwk Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    11,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deprecator View Post
    Still, I think it's interesting how I asked a question that no one could be bothered to answer: "as far the "dangers of trolling" are concerned, what is the worst effect that you've experienced as a result of a perceived troll?"
    If we're limiting it to this particular site, I'd say it's been a reduction in my desire to participate in this community, and I can't imagine that I've been the only person who has experienced this as a result. Perhaps it's not world-ending, but I assume it's something the people in charge of this place should be concerned with.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  5. #25
    c'est la vie Obfuscate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    I was raised by a very broken (abusive) home. I was abused by just about every adult in my life. I can genuinely say that I did not ( and still not) understand what it is like to have a support system, loving or even caring, parents.
    But I'm not a troll. I can take responsibility for my own actions and behavior. There is no excuse.
    Everything is an excuse... people do what they want to do and tell a story to themselves and others to excuse it... sometimes the story makes sense and sometimes it doesn't... sometimes it is based on fact, sometimes the stories match... sometimes we can find a pattern/trend between the stories people tell and the behaviors they exhibit...

    there is rarely an excuse that i find valid for behaving like a total dick, but sometimes people are never given the tools or life experiences to pull their head out of their ass, and sometimes they just refuse to... most of us were born with conscience, and those who lost it afterwords had to make a series of choices to ignore it over a prolonged period... "excuses are like assholes; everybody has one"...

    that said, excuses rarely excuse bad behavior... it is apparent when someone always has a "reason" to be a dick, and one way or another they pay for that (social backlash, prison time, lonliness, bribery, etc)...

    when a person is a proven threat retreat, remove them, or crush them...
    "Every one interprets everything in terms of his own experience. If you say anything which does not touch a precisely similar spot in another man's brain, he either misunderstands you, or doesn't understand you at all."

    "Whether you experience heaven or hell, remember that it is your mind which creates them."

  6. #26
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    24,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deprecator View Post
    I try to avoid using the term altogether simply because I try not to presume the intention of another member, which is a mentality that is only reinforced whenever other members try and publicly speculate about my own motives/ intentions.
    But you did use the word "troll" in your previous post. You invited others to comment using whatever definition they preferred. I asked you what is your definition. Are you going to provide one?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  7. #27

    Default

    I despise trolls since there are far more productive ways to behave. They should also take the Hare Psychopathy test to confirm their issues.

  8. #28
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19,853

    Default

    The book "Troll Hunting" by Ginger Gorman researches trolls based on her personal experience.

    Look up "guardian troll hunting" in Google.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    But you did use the word "troll" in your previous post. You invited others to comment using whatever definition they preferred. I asked you what is your definition. Are you going to provide one?
    Okay, fair enough... allow me to try and clarify. I try and avoid using the term altogether when describing another individual. In addition to this, in regards to my original post I was trying to gain a better understanding of what the OP had meant by "more dangerous than we originally thought", simply because without an original reference point this comment doesn't really mean anything to me. And while officially I don't believe my subjective definition for trolling would be necessary when making this inquiry, I still don't mind obliging your request.

    In tandem with previously stated definitions, I would loosely define trolling as voicing non-genuine beliefs in order to antagonize others. For an example, I think the last time I publicly accused an individual of being a troll was on another forum some ~5-6 years ago after I saw that they had threads such as "PSA to all men: penis size DOES actually matter" and "Teenagers under 18 shouldn't be allowed to have sex." Not only did these threads get quite the rise out of people, but at the same time I found it difficult to believe that the member in question (who to me came across as exceptionally intelligent) sincerely held some of these beliefs. As such I publicly voiced my skepticism in one of her threads, and in response she actually came up with a reply that I considered to be quite clever (and just my luck, she was permanently banned just as I was finishing up my response).

    Genuine "troll" or not, the closest I felt to "danger" was the frustration that came with the timing of her ban -- even though I liked my reply and wanted to post it, I didn't think it was fair for me to do so simply because she no longer had the freedom to carry on with the exchange.

    That said, whether people want to agree with my definition or not, I'm still curious as to how "dangerous" we're suppose to think that trolling actually is simply because all this "far worse than we previously thought" business strikes me as form of fear mongering, especially in the absence of a specific reference point or context.

  10. #30
    awwwwwwwk Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    11,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deprecator View Post
    In tandem with previously stated definitions, I would loosely define trolling as voicing non-genuine beliefs in order to antagonize others. For an example, I think the last time I publicly accused an individual of being a troll was on another forum some ~5-6 years ago after I saw that they had threads such as "PSA to all men: penis size DOES actually matter" and "Teenagers under 18 shouldn't be allowed to have sex." Not only did these threads get quite the rise out of people, but at the same time I found it difficult to believe that the member in question (who to me came across as exceptionally intelligent) sincerely held some of these beliefs. As such I publicly voiced my skepticism in one of her threads, and in response she actually came up with a reply that I considered to be quite clever (and just my luck, she was permanently banned just as I was finishing up my response).
    How do you determine if a belief is genuine? People believe all kinds of crazy stuff, and them voicing it might have nothing to do with trying to antagonize other people.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



Similar Threads

  1. [ENTJ] ENTJs, risk, danger and thrill
    By Ace_ in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 01:25 AM
  2. [SP] Do SPs like danger and discomfort?
    By Athenian200 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO