• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Malingering: what do you think about it?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Malingering - Wikipedia

Is it good is it bad?

If good, why?

If bad, why?

do you know of anyone who has done such a thing?

Is it worth calling someone who is malingering out?

If you know someone who has:How do you react when you find out someone was faking an illness?

If you don't know of anyonr: how do you think you'd react?

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don’t think malingering is a big deal, I used to do this a lot when I was a kid ;) Of course I never faked a serious illness but it was fun and it could be useful when I’d forget to study for a test

ferris%20bueller's%20day%20off.gif

Imo its harmless as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone and it can be a good excuse when you don’t want to do sth/have other plans

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Short but honest answer - not a fan of it and would not judge the persons' character very highly / huge values conflict.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You do realize that malingerners swindle people out of money right? Magpie was one. So yes they're fucking harmful.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Depends on the severity. I think we all have faked illness to get out of class or work once in our lives.

But when it is people faking serious illness to get attention, sympathy, or financial benefits it is abhorrent behavior and I would absolutely judge someone-harshly-for it.

A friend of mine often complains of every single issue mentioned in the second paragraph. She does not complain about Fibrolmyalgia anymore now that it is no longer the disease of the week and has instead decided she suffers from..Anklio Sponda-thingy which seems to have replaced Fibromyalgia as the most over-diagnosed "Mom disease" ( not saying it doesn't exist, I'm saying a lot of people CLAIM to have it but don't)

I myself do have actual chronic pain from several old injuries but the difference between her and I, is that I reason " It is going to hurt no matter what I do. So I may as well get up and move."

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Depends on the severity. I think we all have faked illness to get out of class or work once in our lives.

But when it is people faking serious illness to get attention, sympathy, or financial benefits it is abhorrent behavior and I would absolutely judge someone-harshly-for it.

A friend of mine often complains of every single issue mentioned in the second paragraph. She does not complain about Fibrolmyalgia anymore now that it is no longer the disease of the week and has instead decided she suffers from..Anklio Sponda-thingy which seems to have replaced Fibromyalgia as the most over-diagnosed "Mom disease" ( not saying it doesn't exist, I'm saying a lot of people CLAIM to have it but don't)

I myself do have actual chronic pain from several old injuries but the difference between her and I, is that I reason " It is going to hurt no matter what I do. So I may as well get up and move."

My mom has fibromyalgia but she doesn't take painkillers or ask people for money or tells people. She exercises to help with the pain and it works for her. But yeah I agree with everything you've said. Sometimes I get a migraine and think oh no brain tumor. It's not a brain tumor, but I don't want sympathy for it. I'm in fact happy I don't have a brain tumor

to be fair i do tell my mom when something's wrong but that's because i want an opinion on if i should go to a doctor it usually resolves it self on it's own so i don't go

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
In a previous job, it was interesting seeing the brain's electrical activity of people with poorly-controlled seizures. It turns out that probably around half of them had seizures which were not caused by abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Most of those cases were either psychogenic seizures (their mind rather than their brain was causing the seizure--subconscious malingering maybe?), or they were consciously malingering.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
In a previous job, it was interesting seeing the brain's electrical activity of people with poorly-controlled seizures. It turns out that probably around half of them had seizures which were not caused by abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Most of those cases were either psychogenic seizures (their mind rather than their brain was causing the seizure--subconscious malingering maybe?), or they were consciously malingering.

There's another term for that I'm about to go run errands but I'll look it up when I can

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

Wow. This is interesting to know. The same friend I mentioned before, the one whom I said complains most frequently about the symptoms listed under the wiki article has been complaining of seizures which seem to have no discernable cause. I am absolutely skeptical of the vast majority of her ailments but faking seizures seems pretty absurd.

Now I really wonder. I have to admit that I am amazed and...extremely perplexed at what the mind is capable of manifesting but even more astounded by "Why". Why on earth would someone have such a strong desire to be so pathetic to force themselves to become that way?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

It's some sort of somatic disorder but I don't know the exact name.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It's some sort of somatic disorder but I don't know the exact name.

Yep, as in psychosomatic. It’s usually used to refer to “ fake” or illness created in one’s own mind.
Although I looked up the definition and it also refers to illness created by stress.

And yeah, I know quite a few people like this.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

What? Just... what?

I actually have Ankylosing Spondylitis, and yes I'm a mom, and no, I don't necessarily think you are talking about me, but I'm just wondering.... just who exactly is faking this disease? I have never come across anyone who, out of all the diseases out there, picked this one to "fake". Furthermore, it'd be a weird disease for a woman to fake because it's much more common in men.

Maybe I'm just missing some subset of people who came across some description of a "low back pain disease" and claimed it as an explanation for their regular Joe back pain, but I just am not comprehending how you have supposedly had a ton of exposure to multiple moms who have claimed to have AS, and furthermore been able to prove that they don't and they're just being dramatic fakers. It's just coming across as a super fucking presumptuous assumption.