• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you a predominantly Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic Learner?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Logical-intrapersonal-visual-naturalistic learner

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can do both visual and auditory pretty well .

violetsunrise

Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can do both visual and auditory pretty well .

I can’t do auditory I had an employer who gave hour long lectures as part of his training style I retained nothing and would fall asleep struggling to pay attention to him.

I worked for a different employer who actually pointed out and brought to my awareness that I was a visual learner and since then I have changed my studying approach to active mental visualization as well as charts graphs and maps which has definitely accelerated my retention of new material.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Kinesthetic. Which is a cruel fucking joke because I a miserably clumsy and uncoordinated.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know. I suspect I learn different things by different methods. If it is a skill, I have to do it before I have really learned, but I have learned a great deal of factual or abstract information by reading, and have a very good retention rate for what I read, including maps and other sorts of diagrams. I don't learn either skills or information well by listening, but have a very good ear for music, and can remember and repeat music long after hearing it one time, at least if I liked it or it otherwise made an impression on me.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want as many conduits as possible, please. Just let me soak it in. Immersion is the way to go, where you can use all of your senses at once and let your brain work with a bunch of stuff at once. That really beats things into your head.

Kinesthetic is my preferred though obviously it's not always applicable. How the hell are you going to touch metaphilosophy, or World War II, or quantum mechanics? Unless we broaden the definition to "learning by doing," in which case I'll grab as much kinesthetic learning as I possibly can and throw my audios and visuals in the garbage.

I listen to podcasts for convenience but I prefer videos. You get audio explanation of visuals on the screen, so 2/3 of the learner population wins!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Visual is the most helpful. As I'm getting older, I'm working on the others too though. I don't learn very well by just hearing instructions. I do really well with maps and things, and once I figure out the structure of something, find it much easier to hang details onto it and have them stick. It does help to know how something should feel. I like being walked through something a couple of times and then am more comfortable exploring it on my own. As time has gone on, I've started seeing the value of some trial and error for learning. Earlier, I thought that was a complete waste of time and wanted to just be given the shortcut answer to whatever it was. But by discovering something myself, I do find that it sticks in a different sort of way and is more meaningful to me.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Visual

Thats why I study Art History lol

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've taken these tests before and I'm fairly balanced between the three with a slight preference towards kinesthetic.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’m so visual it hurts us precious.

Auditory comes second followed closely by kinetic. I do find there is always some mix of what I’m doing or maneuvering so I understand better. I do love videos the most and prefer going over graphs in textbooks first before diving into the text.

I also feel super awkward trying things as I am not very coordinated so kinetic is like the means of last desperate resort.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Auditory is my least preferred. Growing up / in school, I tended to ignore it in favor of just studying/learning the material on my own. I would be someone who would sit in many lectures and not particularly listen to anything. However this depended on the class and teacher. If a good teacher/more complex and abstract subject, auditory would become more important -- I had a Stream Ecology class that was like that, chemistry could be like that, upper level math could be like that. But most other things I'd just resort to my own devices and then take the exam.

In the 'real world', on the job -- I prefer just diving in and DOING it, learning as I go/ hands-on - vs studying a manual or whatnot.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Visual is my least preferred. I sometimes have a hard time understanding charts and tables.

I prefer auditory and written learning, perhaps with some kinesthetic examples or comparisons if I'm not understanding something well enough.

Permabanned
I find kinesthesia and visualisation are the richer forms of conveying information in a way that enables faster and better integration within the existing mental reality matrix.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Just to be clear, my understanding is that visual learners absorb information best in charts, diagrams, etc. While I do like illustrations, I hate numbers, so any chart with many data points or a convoluted measurement system is just something I cannot focus on.