• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2015 Health and Fitness Challenge!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Case in point... based on my AGE and height...
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 111.8 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 120.1 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 105.4 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 105.2 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 97.9 lbs - 132.3 lbs

For Women 25-59 years of age...
Height in Feet&Inches Small Frame Medium Frame Large Frame
4'10" 102-111 109-121 118-131
4'11" 103-113 111-123 120-134
5'0" 104-115 113-126 122-137
5'1" 106-118 115-129 125-140
5'2" 108-121 118-132 128-143
5'3" 111-124 121-135 131-147
5'4" 114-127 124-138 134-151
5'5" 117-130 127-141 137-155
5'6" 120-133 130-144 140-159
5'7" 123-136 133-147 143-163
5'8" 126-139 136-150 146-167
5'9" 129-142 139-153 149-170
5'10" 132-145 142-156 152-173
5'11" 135-148 145-159 155-176
6'0" 138-151 148-162 158-179

So yeah... I'm way overweight and I'm just going to keep gaining if I don't find some way to control it.
My mother is 4'10" and over 200 pounds. That's me in 25 years if I'm not careful.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
For the record, being a little bit overweight but not obese is associated with a LONGER lifespan. That says to me that maybe the charts aren't the end-all, be-all. Being overweight linked to lower risk of mortality - CNN.com

But if you want to lose weight, instead of doing stuff like Herbalife why not figure out what your calorie needs at the high end of the "normal" range would be, and eat that much of normal food? Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

If you do nothing but sleep 8 hours and sit the rest of the time, you would need about 1800 calories a day to maintain at 140lb. Adding in about three hours of just puttering around, cooking, standing at the sink doing dishes, etc. would bump it up to about 2000 calories. That's without any intentional exercise, just not being a couch potato for part of the day. Adding in the WHO's recommended 150 minutes of heart-rate-increasing exercise a week would take it up to about 2100/day.

Your basal metabolic rate would be about 1400 calories a day, which means you'd need that much even if you were in a coma- that's why they say you shouldn't go under your basal metabolic rate.

LonestarCowgirl

Yeah... I heard it wasn't good to eat food too close to bedtime. It's OK?

You'll have to experiment and see what works for you.

I read your latest post about working out twice a week and doing stomach crunches. Great job! Consider gradually increasing the duration and frequency of cardio workouts to 45 minutes, 5-days a week. That will boost your metabolism, so your body burns calories more efficiently; keep in mind, a metabolism boost is not going to happen if you're also starving yourself on meal replacement shakes.

Not required, but of course, the most intense workout will simultaneously have you doing cardio and weight lifting. You will burn twice the calories in half the time, and get to your goal that much quicker.

Also, Dr. Oz has some good recipes and advice on his website that you might find helpful:

Dr. Oz on Weightloss

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
For the record, being a little bit overweight but not obese is associated with a LONGER lifespan. That says to me that maybe the charts aren't the end-all, be-all. Being overweight linked to lower risk of mortality - CNN.com

But if you want to lose weight, instead of doing stuff like Herbalife why not figure out what your calorie needs at the high end of the "normal" range would be, and eat that much of normal food? Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

If you do nothing but sleep 8 hours and sit the rest of the time, you would need about 1800 calories a day to maintain at 140lb. Adding in about three hours of just puttering around, cooking, standing at the sink doing dishes, etc. would bump it up to about 2000 calories. That's without any intentional exercise, just not being a couch potato for part of the day. Adding in the WHO's recommended 150 minutes of heart-rate-increasing exercise a week would take it up to about 2100/day.

Your basal metabolic rate would be about 1400 calories a day, which means you'd need that much even if you were in a coma- that's why they say you shouldn't go under your basal metabolic rate.
Thank you!
I guess I should keep track of my calorie intake for a while.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. I did every diet under the sun and always ended up heavier. After all that, getting really sciencey about it (and working on my mental/emotional crap at the same time- loving myself and my body as-is even though I'm working on changing it for health reasons, letting go of moral judgments about "good" and "bad" foods, etc.) has helped me lose about 40 lbs so far, although it has gone slowly.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Tried a new recipe and it was AWESOME!

Chocolate chip cookie dough dip :) made out of garbanzo beans. It was really tasty! I dipped them with graham crackers and thin meyer lemon cookies... but I think fruit seems just as good to dip in it.

My next adventure is going to be homemade english muffins. We'll see how that goes. I might pick up a bread maker cheap from the thrift store to assist me in it, I suck at making dough.

My plan for food for the week: freeze-ahead cupcake quiches, breakfast sandwiches, crackers and tuna salad, chicken spaghetti, super dark chocolate chips, and whatever my family decides to have for dinner + a soup or salad. We'll see how it goes!

Yeah I seriously have such a hard time getting my calories in each day. These figures are NOT a looot of calories, and I'm pretty active. :x I'm down to a piddly 124 lbs right now.. and I feel weaker and smaller than ever. It really does mess with your mental capacity to be different physically. I notice a decline in my confidence with a decline in my weight.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I read a Facebook post today about chickpea chocolate chip cookies. I have to say, it sounded really gross to me, but I'd be willing to give it a try. :)

kyuuei, do you eat nuts? That might be a good way to get more high-quality calories in without eating a lot more food.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nuts, nut butters, a nice oily hummus...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I read a Facebook post today about chickpea chocolate chip cookies. I have to say, it sounded really gross to me, but I'd be willing to give it a try. :)

kyuuei, do you eat nuts? That might be a good way to get more high-quality calories in without eating a lot more food.

Nuts, nut butters, a nice oily hummus...

Oh man, I've cooked them before and made black bean brownies, and I have to say I won't go back to making regular desserts I don't think. My next thing to try is tofu chocolate pie. Seriously, the fiber gives me the perfect balance of calories and nutrients and makes me feel way less crappy when eating sweets, as my tummy tends to hate too much of a good thing. I can actually enjoy desserts when I replace ingredients with fruit and veggies.

I'm disinclined to buy them because they're particularly expensive, but I do love nuts. Hummus is ultimate pleasure-train station, Asheville has a company called 'roots' that makes the most amazing of hummus flavors. And Hopey Co. always sells them discounted. <3 <3 So Mango sriracha almost on the daily with breakfast. :laugh:

I'm working on making a hummus recipe rich enough for me to be excited about making. I haven't quite gotten there yet.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I was afraid to check my average calorie intake but it was a lot better than I feared...
about 300 calories for breakfast
about 300 calories for lunch
about 600 calories for dinner
about 200 max calories during the day, i.e. sugar in my tea or coffee,
almonds for my 10 AM snack.

I guess my snacking in front of the tv at night is what is keeping me fat.
If I could discipline myself to just drink tea when I feel like eating, I could do better.

I do have someone loaning me a stationary exercise bike so I can add more exercise to my daily routine.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm doing night walks. Hope it helps.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I found out the other day I can still run 2 miles. I'm a bit slower, I was a little sore the next day, but damned if it did not feel amazing to know I could make it the whole way without stopping and gasping my guts up. I think I can definitely make my goal of 3 miles during the spring. :)

I still haven't tried out swimming yet. I have to go up to the VA hospital on friday though, so I think maybe I will try to go afterwards. Also, I'm getting a pretty badass bread maker from craigslist for super cheap, and I'm excited about it. ^_^b There are a lot of bread recipes I've been wanting to try, and part of my 'cook your own shit' plan is trying to reduce all of this buying it brand new stuff. I think if the bread maker works fine even as a dough prepper I'll be more than satisfied, but if it bakes the bread well enough.. then cool beans. :D My room will smell like bread all the time hahah.

I was afraid to check my average calorie intake but it was a lot better than I feared...
about 300 calories for breakfast
about 300 calories for lunch
about 600 calories for dinner
about 200 max calories during the day, i.e. sugar in my tea or coffee,
almonds for my 10 AM snack.

I guess my snacking in front of the tv at night is what is keeping me fat.
If I could discipline myself to just drink tea when I feel like eating, I could do better.

I do have someone loaning me a stationary exercise bike so I can add more exercise to my daily routine.

First off, congrats on the calorie counting. :) Sounds like a pretty healthy distribution of calories. I didnt even make it to 1200 today. :( I tried really hard, then IBS kicked in and said, 'Nah, you dont really want that awesome pho anymore.'

Have you ever tried any of these things? I've gotten them from several sources throughout a time.

- Home-popped popcorn - old air poppers are like nothing at thrift stores.. popcorn feels really snack-y without a lot of the calories when it's not store bought.. with some Mrs. Dash seasonings + light mist of olive oil or cinnamon + pumpkin spice + powdered sugar + coconut oil spray for some knock off 'kettle corn' flavor. Best snack for eating high volumes for little calories. Alternatively, a brown paper bag would function in the microwave.

- The TV work outs - they have things where you do things in chairs during the show, or during commercials, or 'cues' for your favorite shows you're re-watching (like when watching Star Trek for example, you do 5 jumping jacks whenever Captain Kirk says 'Beam me up, Scotty.')

- Chair jazzercise during commercials, or stretching your legs and getting up and walking during them.

- Really awesome flavored chewing gum. Those ones that taste like desserts like apple pie and mint chocolate chip ice cream. Some people have a lot of luck with those, some don't.

- Getting up and walking for 20-30 minutes before or after sitting to watch TV at all.

... I don't really sit down and watch a ton of TV, so I can't speak much on that, but I AM on the computer nearly constantly.. and I do some of these things.

Chthonic

I think if the bread maker works fine even as a dough prepper I'll be more than satisfied, but if it bakes the bread well enough.. then cool beans. :D My room will smell like bread all the time hahah.

old air poppers are like nothing at thrift stores..

I never buy an appliance without seeing if I can get it off the EvilBay first for nothing. I bought a secondhand breadmaker once, worked awesomely. Food dehydrator got the same way. Popcorn poppers can also roast coffee beans reasonably well.....tis true. And my espresso machine was another 2nd hand purchase. Save tonnes of $$$$ this way. :yes:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I never buy an appliance without seeing if I can get it off the EvilBay first for nothing. I bought a secondhand breadmaker once, worked awesomely. Food dehydrator got the same way. Popcorn poppers can also roast coffee beans reasonably well.....tis true. And my espresso machine was another 2nd hand purchase. Save tonnes of $$$$ this way. :yes:

Oohhh man let me nerd out with you on this shit for a second! :wubbie: :cheers: Have some late night tea with me!

hkXGtquLC3HTuzyfe5YOsxqODUBK18EIxWml5xksrEw0ZaKZoNmaSw==.gif

Yeah, omg I want an air popper so badly. I found ONE at the thrift store the other day (and I swear I could find them ALL OVER THE PLACE before I wanted one.. now they're gone and I have to wait until bikini-season is over again to see them in the stores. This is the time everyone panics over spring and tries to eat healthy.) but I couldn't test it before I bought it so I had to leave it. I was trying to think of other ways to use an air popper.. that's a pretty cool one. :) I didn't think of that but it makes sense! Probably smells awesome too.

I like the idea of minimalist like... one machine or utility for several items thing like a kitchenaid mixer + attachments. But dude that sort of stuff is really expensive! For the price of that kitchen aid I can get soo many items. And everyone says uni-task things are useless... but I've always loved them. My donut maker I bought for $5 is awesome and makes fluffy donuts/donut shaped pancakes sooo fast! My sandwich griller is awesome and makes the best fast grilled cheese sandwiches.. and I got it for $3 on a black friday sale. I really really want a Texas shaped waffle maker. I could eat Texas shaped waffles on the daily. :wubbie:

I think gadgets are what make healthy eating so dang fun. When I got my nutribullet I went bananas. When I got my food processor I couldnt (still cant!) stop using it!! Decent blender? I now love soups! :wizfreak:

I wonder if you could roast nuts with an air popper too? Or if that'd burn them too much... :x roasted almonds and hazelnuts quickly would definitely make an air popper more than worth it!

Also, I never buy any gadget brand new pretty much if I can help it. I almost always get it used. I'm waiting for some suckers who bought a very nice kitchenaid that super need money willing to nearly give it away. I'll find him/her one of these days. Same with a fancy vitamix or blendtec blender and a Breville juice fountain. (I swear I'll only take over two cabinets in the kitchen for gadgets... >.> ...)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trying to figure ways to not be hungry while dieting. Just been eating fruit salads and other high fibre stuff but it's not particularly enjoyable. I'd be happy for a diet soylent equivalent. Not doing any of the fad diets. Just plain old low calorie intake.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Maybe your calorie intake is too low? I know for me, if I'm white knuckling it, it's not going to be sustainable. I try to stay in a zone that is about 300-500 calories under my TDEE. Personally, a 300 calorie deficit is plenty for me; I get hangry when I go much lower than that.

Of course any deficit is going to involve a little hunger from time to time. IME, fiber does help, but not as much as adequate protein. My goal is one gram per pound of lean bodyweight, daily- that comes to about 110 grams/day for me. If I come close to that, I don't have nearly the level of hunger I do when I don't get enough protein.

A good resource for estimating your TDEE: Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My dad just got officially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I told him for years he was headed down the road. It's sad that only a diagnosis convinced him to change.. so we're slowly changing his eating habits. Fiber with his food, large increase in veggies and a few whole grains, no more sweets.. he's not really enjoying the transition, but here's to hoping this really wakes him up!

Meanwhile, SO proud of my mother: Even with her stress, and anxiety from us living in this awful place, she's still at 180 something pounds. She started out at 280 when she started exercising and eating right. :) Being off her medication has helped a LOT (she didn't lose a single pound for 4 months of exercising 4-5x a week. That's GOT to be frustrating.) but her own eating/exercising routine is what got her off of it and what's kept her off of it and she's going to continue losing weight as we get more settled into a new place hopefully soon. She used to be 135 all her life.. tiny thing considering she's a few inches taller than me. But she's going to try to aim for 150 lbs to be a comfortable weight for her. I know for a fact she can do it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's awesome about your mom! Hope your dad is able to make the transition. Some people really do need the wake-up call of a health crisis. Hell, I did.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Can I EVER get enough coconut? I'm a milk fiend but coconut milk is such a great dessert drink for a 'snack' when I'm really just having a sweet tooth. :wubbie:

Yesterday was a food prep day apparently. I made about 12 breakfast sandwiches for people to grab-and-go. Spinach eggs, a slice of ham, and whole wheat english muffins with a dab of olive oil and dipping seasonings on top of it all. The whole thing took me only 40 minutes to make, threw them individually wrapped in the freezer, and ta-da!

My brita filter transition is working VERY nicely. It took a lot of will power to not buy fancy-looking water. My favorite brand (acqua panna) was at the clearance discount grocery store. @_@ :cry:

This house is a fresh produce desert my sister and I noticed. My youngest brought home all kinds of fruits and vegetables, and now we're chowin' down on them and enjoying some vegetable hummus wraps. :) Hummus at the store: $3. Hummus at home: $1. And I get more. <3