• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2015 Health and Fitness Challenge!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Tried my two new healthy recipes with a third to make up for the fact one's a dessert technically. ;)

Healthier donuts from chocolatecoveredkatie
Herbed yogurt biscuits (finally a bread I can make!)

Sticking to yoga has got to be the hardest thing I've ever done. I canNOT wait until the summer.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I tried an aerobic program on Tuesday instead of my full body workout,
but when I did my full body workout on Thursday, I already felt weaker,
so I don't think the aerobic program will be a replacement for one of my days.

But I was successful in making myself exercise all three days and I did my ab program every morning.
I am trying out some alternatives to ab crunches, but I have not found anything I like.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Keeping my confounded doctor appointments even though I hate them with a passion.
There's no way around it, I never get anything done at the hospital stretching wise. Today I told myself I'd stretch and stretch on my breaks.. all I did do was eat and eat and rest. Bleh. Mostly because fuckin' youtube doesn't work on the hospital's internet. Wtf hospital? No youtube for your patients? What a bunch of jerks. Srsly. Youtube is what makes the pain go away. The 12$ each car you're making alone would pay for the bandwidth AND the parking garage.

So I'm using my phone tonight, begrudgingly in the middle of the lobby like a jackass. Who cares. I'm going to be suuuuper sleepy going to the pool today. I'm just going to investigate it and see what's up. If it's a bust, then I'll just work out at home, run short distances, stretch a ton, and build up my leg strength again and grab myself a decent foam roller.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Last week we took the kids to Disney World. It was a mixed bag, fitness wise. On one hand, I wore my Withings Pulse all week and the minimum amount of walking we did on any of the days in the parks was about 16,000 steps. That's about 8 miles. Other days we walked as much as 21,000, or over 10 miles. So that's good. My back was killing me all week though, so I need to ask my doctor about that today. I'm sure the best remedy is to take off some lbs, which I'm already working on, but I didn't realize how much it was affecting me until I had several very active days in a row where I couldn't baby it. I think I'd get a lot more activity if it didn't bother me so much. I've just been trying to tough it out but that's dumb.

On the eating front, well, let's just say I enjoyed myself. We went to restaurants all over the parks, including Mexico and Morocco in EPCOT, and Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom (it's the new Beauty and the Beast themed restaurant in Fantasyland) and the food was ah maze zing. I kept my streak going in Myfitnesspal by creating a custom item called "I'm on vacation, bitches" with one serving of 2800 calories and adding it each day. I have no idea how accurate that is, it was just a guess of 1000 cals over my usual target.

I dreaded getting on the scale when I returned, although I've learned over the past year that the day-to-day fluctuations mean very little in the grand scheme of things. It's still discouraging to see a few pounds come back, even though there's no way I gained a significant amount of *fat* in a week of indulgence. It's most likely water weight and probably digestion issues since I don't digest quite as well away from home.

Anyway- doctor this morning, I'll show a loss of about 30lbs on his scale from the last time I was there, so I expect some pats on the back which will take some of the sting out of the vacation gainz. Back on track, diet-wise, and I need to get to the gym to get back on track there as well.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Did my exercise program all three times this week... some days it's SO hard to make myself do it!
I think I did my ab crunches every day.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ You've got this girl! Pretty soon it'll start to feel like clockwork instead of dragging feet.

I only did one day of yoga and stretching, boo, and I did two days of P90X and got SUPER sore.. I cannot believe how genuinely out of shape I am. It makes me really upset.. after I was done with that work out all I wanted to do was quit everything in life and train. :doh: Zero balance, zero muscle tone, zero endurance... I'm really back at square one here. It's discouraging, but the only way to fix it is training and sticking to it. When I wake up this evening I'll crank out a cardio session, yoga, stretching, and sciatic nerve stuff.

Cooking my food is going along pretty well. :) The only times I messed up was I was in a pinch on a last minute shift and ate poptarts a nurse offered me vs going hungry all shift, and some party food at a party one night... smores and pizza and cookies. Hahaha. But superbowl I actually did well on--we home cooked burgers and dips and shrimp cocktail and I ate it all up. :) Shrimp ginger-miso salad bowl tonight with dinner too.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've completely slacked. I have been eating half way decent but i haven't juiced. And instead of my normal workout once a day, it's been diminished to 2 or 3 times a week. Which is bothering me. I'm good on water. Not good on salad day though...ugh life.

Edit: how are those crunches going [MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION] :bye:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've completely slacked. I have been eating half way decent but i haven't juiced. And instead of my normal workout once a day, it's been diminished to 2 or 3 times a week. Which is bothering me. I'm good on water. Not good on salad day though...ugh life.

Ack! Narilo, I've been doing this thing where whenever I remember to do any exercise as I'm moving around the house I'd just jump down and do as many pushups as I can or as many crunches as I can depending on the place. It's been slightly ok but I need to start focusing more on that kind of thing.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Aren't people only supposed to workout every other day to give the muscles time to repair themselves?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I missed my Tuesday workout because I went to a wake.
But I was very proud of myself for making it up on Wednesday.
So then I didn't do it on Thursday because I had just done it the day before.
I didn't make it up on Friday because I had a couple of good excuses. :blush:
The good news is I just did my Sunday work out and I felt very good... very strong... my endurance was good.
So now I am wondering if I should exercise twice a week instead of three times, but I don't think that is recommended.
My knees felt better this past week too!

I just got a jug of HerbaLife meal replacement powder.
I'm going to see if I can lose weight with that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Four Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Healthier Person

Jacked this from facebook, and while I was a little skeptical about it having a similar title to my favorite article written in the universe ever, it is pretty solid. Especially this part:

Being overweight doesn't mean that you are fat. It means that you have fat. ... Fat is not a flaw.

If language really does dictate how we subconsciously think and feel... how many times have I really heard someone say, 'I'm fat' or 'I'm not fat'.. like it is a state of being and personality all of it's own. People say it with the same grammar used to say one's name, like it's assigned to them. Seems like it couldn't hurt me to start trying to say 'have fat' vs 'am fat' in my talking.

In other news, I am struggling to eat enough calories right now. While my eat-veggies-everyday slogan is going pretty strongly, the issue I had was I was working night shift and night shift put me entirely out of eating 5 times a day.. instead I was only eating twice a day if I was lucky, and I was tired all the time too. Now I've switched (somewhat, I still have trouble falling asleep early) back to days again, but I do struggle with eating now because I'm not as hungry as I was and I'm sleeping when I was eating. I'm working on this, eating yogurt when I first wake up to get my stomach active before breakfast time, and trying to eat a small breakfast then lunch soon after.. dinner is killing me though, I hardly ate anything at dinner last night. I'm not sure why though, usually I see food and I eat food.

On the bright side of things, my water-savings method is going swimmingly (hahaha), I got a discount snack container that rocks to take with me on my work days, dried figs are helping my tummy a lot (when those run out I'll switch back to prunes because they're cheaper) so I might make some breakfast bars out of those and the rest of my dates, and exercising is slowly but surely being factored back into my lifestyle. I'm starting out slowly this time so that I build up my muscles again (absolutely on the top of the charts for health goals) without burning them out and causing my hips to aggravate.

I'm slowly working on the 30 day yoga videos... I'm not going day by day, I'm simply deciding to do yoga and then doing it so that it doesn't feel like.. such punishment.. which yoga always feels like. XD

Chthonic

I'm slowly working on the 30 day yoga videos... I'm not going day by day, I'm simply deciding to do yoga and then doing it so that it doesn't feel like.. such punishment.. which yoga always feels like. XD

In what way is it a punish for you?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
In what way is it a punish for you?

In the yoga way. I hate stretching, and sitting still and all that stuff. If I sit still, it's usually to read, or space out and day dream, or enjoy a beautiful scene I'll never see again or something. Being in the moment with no moment, and just stretching and.. bleh... It doesn't help that my nerves in my legs tingle and numb like crazy when I stretch a lot, sooo. Pretty much everything about yoga/stretching. :laugh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Tried this, and it came out swimmingly. I think the pounding of the chicken has a LOT to do with it.. and a glass definitely did NOT work. I needed to use a meat hammer thingy to get them pounded flat. Buuut the recipe is super solid, and that's probably the only time I've cooked chicken breast and decided not to smear the meat in sauce to mask the dry factor.

How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time

No marinade ahead of time, just sprinkled some spices I liked onto them, a few hits with the hammer, and off I went, and it worked. Protein in the morning I don't hate.

Dipping sauce: Greek plain yogurt (fage), some pepper, and some hot sauce swirled together.

Also, clearance rack date sugar! <3 I was almost out! :heart:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not saying that this is what YOU are doing, but the whole 'I have fat' vs 'I am fat' thing kind of reminds me of other things in society, like alcoholism.

:soapbox: Alcoholism used to be a bad thing that was 'your fault', and now it's just genetic disease you have no control over. Our society keeps moving away from personal responsibility - or 'fault' - in every area of life. I see it as counter-productive because if I didn't have any responsibility for getting myself in trouble in the first place, then I feel completely powerless to do anything to get myself out of it. That's how it feels to me, anyway. Sorry about the little rant there. Just frustrated with the ether, I guess.

BTW: I'm confused how can you have fat yet not be eating enough? [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Tried this, and it came out swimmingly. I think the pounding of the chicken has a LOT to do with it.. and a glass definitely did NOT work. I needed to use a meat hammer thingy to get them pounded flat. Buuut the recipe is super solid, and that's probably the only time I've cooked chicken breast and decided not to smear the meat in sauce to mask the dry factor.

How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time

No marinade ahead of time, just sprinkled some spices I liked onto them, a few hits with the hammer, and off I went, and it worked. Protein in the morning I don't hate.

Dipping sauce: Greek plain yogurt (fage), some pepper, and some hot sauce swirled together.

Also, clearance rack date sugar! <3 I was almost out! :heart:
I used to work for Wendy's and I had to pound the chicken breasts flat with my fists before breading them. I was told it made them more tender.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I missed one day of my exercise program,
but I had 2 days of aerobic exercise when I went out to shovel snow!
I did my ab crunches every morning.
I tried some HerbaLife meal replacement powder but I think it's making my bowels clog up.
I think I am gaining weight; I'm frustrated with that.
I keep having to buy bigger clothes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm not saying that this is what YOU are doing, but the whole 'I have fat' vs 'I am fat' thing kind of reminds me of other things in society, like alcoholism.

:soapbox: Alcoholism used to be a bad thing that was 'your fault', and now it's just genetic disease you have no control over. Our society keeps moving away from personal responsibility - or 'fault' - in every area of life.

I definitely feel that way too on a very personal level. It is difficult for me to empathize with people with alcoholism, and binge eating, because there IS responsibility attached. Absolutely there is. But the issue is not whether people acknowledge responsibility or not.. they obviously and clearly do... but when a problem is too daunting, responsibility feels out of reach. So there's this duality of all the 'responsibility' side being seen as negative (it's all your fault) because people disguise it into a mask of guilt, and blame, and fault.. and frequently, people are NOT fat entirely of their own doing, making things even MORE complicated. How can you tell someone it is your fault your parents raised you that way? Or that you found comfort in food when no one was there for you? Lack of resources, education, support, and general life frequently gets in the way... and that truly isn't other people's fault. Does that negate responsibility? No. That's why diet and exercise and creating healthy relationships with food education and body image are super important... but people have to get there in their own time.. and responsibility is gray there.. Existing the whole time, sure, but how it's presented makes a big impact. It should be a positive weapon a person can wield against the negativity in their lives... frequently it is used as a shaming shackle being dragged with them, painting them as a target for ridicule. Are there plenty of people who choose easy ways out and are generally unhealthy foreverz? Sure. But most fat people that struggle with weight (i.e. feel/are/have fat in excessive amounts to what is healthy for them) struggle for reasons that are far removed from the body and eating itself. More often than not the issue is mental. Unrealistic ideas of what the body should look like, etc. etc.

It is like I told my father, who has anger issues and bursts he cannot control because of his medication. It isn't that you GIVE UP just because it is much more difficult.. but that you work harder on it than most people will ever have to.. and yes, definitely, people should be considerate of the fact you have to work 3x as hard on something most people don't even think about. Responsibility is not removed from his hands there. But it isn't really his fault he's in the situation he's in, either. There was a severe lack of education on shell shock back when my father was in the service.. and delayed reactions hit him very hard.

Personally, I am definitely with you. I can't empathize as much... but I've seen enough to know that frequently people can feel beaten down and powerless because people paint this mask of responsibility that doesn't cover the whole picture. Yeah, fat people have to work harder to be healthy (just like people who have hyperactive metabolisms have to work very hard to keep up with nutrient requirements) because there's several layers of issues there normally.. and in that, they definitely hold the key of responsibility. No one is completely without blame. But total blame isn't really the whole picture either.

BTW: I'm confused how can you have fat yet not be eating enough?

To be fair, I don't really have any excess fat. Not for a woman my height and weight. I could use a bit more if anything. MY issue is my lack of muscle gains. But your argument is precisely why I like the article. Because it DOES put responsibility, in a positive light, back into someone's hands. They are NOT fat. As in.. that is not their identity. Fat is not a personality trait, or something crazy like that. It is something changeable that does NOT sacrifice a person being true to themselves.. and in fact, frequently, people get more in touch with themselves when they challenge their stances with their own body. They learn what was truly bothering them.. what was holding them back. That they aren't lazy, or unable, or incapable.. that really x issue was bothering them and never went away. That they never felt strong enough, or good enough, or worthy enough. Whatever it is.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I missed one day of my exercise program,
but I had 2 days of aerobic exercise when I went out to shovel snow!
I did my ab crunches every morning.
I tried some HerbaLife meal replacement powder but I think it's making my bowels clog up.
I think I am gaining weight; I'm frustrated with that.
I keep having to buy bigger clothes.

:/ I do not like Herbal life products at all. My father used to sell them for a while, and I think it was a total scam. One step removed from a pyramid scheme, definitely there to earn money and not be there for health. Why do you want to replace a meal?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...Why do you want to replace a meal?
Well that's what it's called. You drink this drink that has all the vitamins, minerals and nutrition of a meal, but it's supposed to help you lose weight.
But an hour later my stomach is growling to high heaven.:huh: