• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beorn's couch to 5(0?!?!)k thread

Beorn

Permabanned
First day today.
Pushed myself to get the gym even though it was past 10PM as I've been meaning to start this for several weeks. Glad I did. Everything went great and I feel great. Looking forward to future training.

Here's my plan:
http://cnycap.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Couch-to-5k.pdf

Goals:
5k in 9 weeks
10 miles in early fall
50k in mid-winter

I'll be doing other cross-training with yoga and lifting and fill you in on all of that later when I start to work out a consistent routine.

Beorn

Permabanned
Right now I'm thinking:

M run/lift
T yoga
W run/lift
TH yoga
F run/lift
S long hike/yoga
Su rest

I'm inclined to do just a simple push/pull/legs routine with just 3 or maybe 4 exercises each day when I lift since I'm just getting back into things after letting myself get way out of shape.

Beorn

Permabanned
Ok second day of working out went great. Some random pains in knees, feet, and calves at the beginning of my workout, but by the end I felt great. Definately looking forward to working in yoga next week as I'm hoping it will help me deal with the stiffness from lifting.

Diet-wise I'm not going to worry much for a few weeks just drinking more water and trying to be slightly more conscientious. Steadily I'll probably just focus on eating more veggies and less sugar. I'll only start calorie counting if my weight-loss plateaus which shouldn't happen for a while if I keep to my routine.

Beorn

Permabanned
Week one done. Didn't quite get the long run/hike I wanted in due to crazy flooding in my area, but happy to get my workouts in and complete the 5k training for the week.

Beorn

Permabanned
Finished week two of couch to 5k.
Didn't get my long run/hike in but I'm not really worried about it at this point.
I can definately feel that I'm improving during my workouts which is pretty encouraging.

Beorn

Permabanned
Started week 4 today. This was my first day off the treadmill and on the road. Definately not nearly as easy as the treadmill, but I got it done.