• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rawr

This is a poll

• Total voters

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Mon 31 March
CyclingDistance-
Time-
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights-
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm bad with time so don't know exactly how long, but for at least 5 years I would feel like shit after most meals [...]

Have you made any progress since you made the above post?

It sounds like a mixture of insulin resistance, food allergies (perhaps several - the gluten free thing may have just eliminated one which made you feel better, but you then increased quantities of another which led to you being worse), and perhaps lowered metabolism from eating so little for so long.

I have some info on creating a diet that will help you weed out food allergies, if you are interested. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but if you can hit it from a sciencey experimentation angle, it could be interesting for you. (I'd have to find it, so might take a week or so. Let me know if you're interested.)

Here's the article on metabolic damage that I found to be a good read - you can determine if it applies to your situation. The part on "getting your metabolism back" might be the most interesting for you.
http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you made any progress since you made the above post?

Somewhat, I lose heart for a while due to frustration but it doesn't tend to last too long provided I have an idea of where to look for a solution. I'm going with home made raw protein balls instead of nuts as a snack for now, made my first batch last night with whatever I had on hand and they're nummy and filling so should help the metabolism, and looking at different smoothies as a weekend breakfast as it's showing that I consistently miss breakfast or lunch on weekends.

It sounds like a mixture of insulin resistance, food allergies (perhaps several - the gluten free thing may have just eliminated one which made you feel better, but you then increased quantities of another which led to you being worse), and perhaps lowered metabolism from eating so little for so long.

Absolutely, the removal of wheat products like bread from my diet instantly reduced carbs, over time I found things like potatoes and corn to replace, both high GI so bad for my insulin levels, which was hella annoying! So now I avoid high-GI bread and potatoes etc and it does have an impact without having to avoid wheat, low carb beers are included in my diet XD

I have some info on creating a diet that will help you weed out food allergies, if you are interested. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but if you can hit it from a sciencey experimentation angle, it could be interesting for you. (I'd have to find it, so might take a week or so. Let me know if you're interested.)

Would be most interested if you're able to locate it, is it an elimination diet kind of set up? I've been looking for something here, I have had some cashews since having a bad reaction as I was just too tempted looking at them and on both occasions had an instant gut ache, I'm too scared to dig into the dry roasted almonds though as they're my favourite and having a reaction will give me a sad, but I do want to know. My diet isn't raw but besides dairy and my own cooking it's close-ish to 100% unprocessed foods (fruit/veggies) which makes cutting anything specific out pretty easy.

Here's the article on metabolic damage that I found to be a good read - you can determine if it applies to your situation. The part on "getting your metabolism back" might be the most interesting for you.
http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

Thanks for that, good read, I'm going with eat more exercise more without deliberately knowing it would help so I'm glad to have read that to encourage me not to drop it off.

I'm sure my eating habits have slowed my metabolism and am concerned about getting enough without 'too much', things have improved a bazillion times over for me since the realisation I have an issue with insulin, it also coincided with getting hormones so the two factors together likely played a role and weight just fell off, before that I was about a size 48 and dropped to about 34 without any effort besides limiting high-GI carbs and sugar, I've kinda hovered around 32-33 for a couple of years with a few beer spikes XD so my focus is on dropping body fat while increasing muscle vs just losing weight although I could drop maybe 5kgs and be happy. I have more energy most if the time when I'm including physical activity, and can get away with eating foods that have sugar/high GI carbs on occasions without an adverse reaction if I've exercised so I can see that there is an impact from what I'm doing overall.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cardio

CyclingDistanceTime
Mon 24 March--
Tue 25 March--
Wed 26 March5.619:55
Thur 27 March5.621:15
5.817:20
Fri 28 March5.719:45
10.841:20
Sat 29 March--
Sun 30 March17.555:55
56.83:12:05

1. Log 40 bike rides by 7 April: 11
2. Ride to work minimum 3x a week:
tick.png

3. Log minimum overall distance of 45kms per week:
tick.png

Strength/core

Push-upsWeights
Mon 17 March--
Tue 18 March170
60 Min
Wed 19 March-
30 Min
Thur 20 March-
-
Fri 21 March-
-
Sat 22 March48
50 Min
Sun 23 March-
-
140 Min

4. Push up challenge:
cross.png

6. Weights set 3x per week:
tick.png

Diet

BreakfastLunchDinner
Mon 17-March
cross.png

tick.png
tick.png
Tue 18-March
tick.png

tick.png
tick.png
Wed 19-March
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png
Thur 20-March
tick.png

tick.png

tick.png

Fri 21-March
tick.png

cross.png

tick.png
Sat 22 March
cross.png

tick.png

tick.png
Sun 23 March
cross.png
tick.png
tick.png

6. Market shopping once a fortnight:
tick.png

7. Add one new option to meal plans each week:
tick.png

8. Limit beer to max 7 per week: 7
tick.png

9. Consume 3 meals per day min:
cross.png

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Tue 1 April
CyclingDistance-
Time-
Strength/corePush-ups140
Weights35 Min
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck
Beer x 1

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Wed 2 April
CyclingDistance5.5k
Time19.30
Distance11.7k
Time36.00
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights60 Min
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Thu 3 April
CyclingDistance5.5k
Time19.35
Distance5.7k
Time17.25
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights-
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Fri 4 April
CyclingDistance5.5k
Time20.20
Distance5.7k
Time20.00
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights-
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck
2 x Beers

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Sat 5 April
CyclingDistance-
Time-
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights-
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck
1 x Beer

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Sun 6 April
CyclingDistance24.7k
Time2.21.35
Strength/corePush-ups140
Weights60 Mins
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cardio

CyclingDistanceTime
Mon 31 March--
Tue 1 April--
Wed 2 April5.519:30
11.736:00
Thur 3 April5.519:35
5.717:25
Fri 4 April5.520:20
5.720:00
Sat 5 April--
Sun 6 April24.72:21:35
64.34:34:25

1. Log 40 bike rides by 7 April: 3
2. Ride to work minimum 3x a week:
tick.png

3. Log minimum overall distance of 45kms per week:
tick.png

Strength/core

Push-upsWeights
Mon 31 March--
Tue 1 April13045 Min
Wed 2 April-60 Min
Thur 3 April--
Fri 4 April--
Sat 5 April--
Sun 6 April14060 Min
270165 Min

4. Push up challenge:
cross.png

6. Weights set 3x per week:
tick.png

Diet

BreakfastLunchDinner
Mon 31 March
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png
Tue 1 April
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png
Wed 2 April
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png
Thur 3 April
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png
Fri 4 April
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png
Sat 5 April
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png
Sun 6 April
tick.png
tick.png
tick.png

6. Market shopping once a fortnight:
tick.png

7. Add one new option to meal plans each week:
tick.png

8. Limit beer to max 7 per week: 4
tick.png

9. Consume 3 meals per day min:
tick.png

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Mon 7 April
CyclingDistance5.6k
Time19.50
Distance6.4k
Time20.45
Distance8.0k
Time24.35
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights-
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Tue 8 April
CyclingDistance5.6k
Time19.25
Distance
Time31.55
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights-
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Wed 9 April
CyclingDistance5.6k
Time19.45
Distance5.6k
Time17.05
Strength/corePush-ups-
Weights-
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Thu 10 April
CyclingDistance5.6k
Time22.20
Distance5.8k
Time16.55
Strength/corePush-ups
Weights20 Min
DietBreakfastCheck
LunchCheck
DinnerCheck

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay... 2 weeks later....

I wasn't able to find the elimination diet article I wanted to find :)(), but did find the other article that talked about reducing / eliminating food allergies. The article might still have some ideas, so here are the 6 steps it outlined:

1. If you take protein powder, begin rotating between 3 different power brands, never taking the same one twice in a row. Vary the type of protein.

2. If #1 doesn't help, take a digestive enzyme like OmegaZyne to help with digestion. (This is an animal enzyme, so I don't know if you'd be interested in that particular example.)

3. If #2 doesn't help, add an enteric coated acidophilus supplement to attempt to populate the GI tract with healthy bacteria.

4. If #3 doesn't help, replace all protein supplements with whole food proteins sources.

5. If number 4 doesn't work, slowly (one at a time) remove the main food allergens (wheat, corn, nuts, fish, eggs). If 2 weeks of removing a specific food doesn't help, add that food back in and remove another... etc.

6. If none of that works, seeks medical attention.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting, is the suspicion that protein powders are more likely to cause issues or was that just the focus of the article, curious because I hadn't thought about that being an issue.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not entirely sure. There is another article in the book that talks about the various protein supplements (milk protein isolates, casein, whey, soy, and rice), and it mentions that rice protein is a great hypoallergenic alternative to the milk proteins. It especially emphasizes fortified rice proteins that include the limiting amino acids that aren't normally found in rice proteins.

My guess is that the people who wrote the book deal with a lot of weight lifters (they are sports nutritionists), and that a significant portion of their clientele that experience food allergies do so because of protein supplements. Also, it's probably easier to get a client to modify a mix supplement types than it is to modify the core of their diet, so perhaps that's why they focus on that first.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Wed 14-May
CyclingDistance 0k
Time 00:00
Strength/coreWeights Arms 60 Min