• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Udog's Exercise Log

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

So I failed to workout Friday, and succumbed to a sweet on Sunday. It was less than I usually have, but I'm going to add 2 points. (Putting me back to 97.)

Monday's Weight: 266

So there are 3 possible reasons why I didn't lose much this week. My goal this week is to workout Friday, and hopefully, Sat as well. If working out all week doesn't help, I'll need to take a closer look at my diet.

Today:
1. Worked out.
2. Had 2 small slices of cake.

A co-worker brought in a cake today. Instead of wearing all my willpower out trying to resist it, causing me to binge later in the week, I had the 2 small slices and stopped there. I'll count today as a success. (Bringing me to 96.)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

1. No sweets.
2. Worked out in the morning. Managed 42 minutes of plyo-X at a pretty high intensity. The cold keeps my body from warming up for awhile, so I can't quite go full bore.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good stuff, man, keep it going!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

1. No sweets. (It helped that I am pretty much snowed in, and don't have any in my apartment.)
2. Did the full 1 hour P-90X workout, and increased the weight to target 8-10 reps. I am still lifting a bit light, but getting closer.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I ate too much over the weekend, and my scale agrees with me.

Current weight: 266. No change from last week, and only .4 pounds down from the prior week.

I'm frustrated enough that I can't think clearly, and have spent the past 20 minutes trying to write this post. I may try coming back once I calm down and regain clarity.

My goals for this week:
1. Maintain - avoid reverting to my old habits out of frustration.
2. Get 7.5 hours of sleep every night. Some of my issues may be coming from getting only 5-6.5 hours of sleep at night. This means being asleep by 10:00pm. Yuck.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

So what was supposed to be the "rest" week with the P90X has turned into my "don't work out at all week". Damn.

Today was the first day I didn't rock the healthy foods, though. Tomorrow I will strive to return to normal. And hopefully continue focusing on getting enough sleep.

I'm dinging myself a point for today's diet, but as I focus on getting enough sleep, will forgive myself for missing the workouts. This week.

(Been pretty down this week, so honestly, I'm just trying to get through it without completely destroying all of my progress and reverting to my old habits. Oh, and I weighed 262.6 this morning.)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what was supposed to be the "rest" week with the P90X has turned into my "don't work out at all week". Damn.

Today was the first day I didn't rock the healthy foods, though. Tomorrow I will strive to return to normal. And hopefully continue focusing on getting enough sleep.

I'm dinging myself a point for today's diet, but as I focus on getting enough sleep, will forgive myself for missing the workouts. This week.

(Been pretty down this week, so honestly, I'm just trying to get through it without completely destroying all of my progress and reverting to my old habits. Oh, and I weighed 262.6 this morning.)

You've come so far!

Don't let the scale get u down! ;)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You've come so far!

Don't let the scale get u down! ;)

Thank you! The scale did get me down a bit, but luckily I managed to pick myself up. :)

I was 261.something this morning, and didn't have any huge meals. I did succumb and cheat - but overall my this has been my best week for eating.

On Monday I begin Phase 2 of the P90X. I'm not very familiar with these workouts, since I always end up quitting before I get this far. Should be fun... I'm kind of excited actually. My week off from exercising seems to have rejuvenated me a bit! I guess getting enough sleep (or at least, MORE sleep) helped a bit, too.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Official Monday weigh in: 263.6. So I've managed to break my plateau, for now.

Exercised. Slept, but not quit the full 7.5 hours of my goal. Ate alright, but in hindsight I'm realizing I could have done better.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Official Monday weigh in: 263.6. So I've managed to break my plateau, for now.

Exercised. Slept, but not quit the full 7.5 hours of my goal. Ate alright, but in hindsight I'm realizing I could have done better.

I think I missed where you said why you were losing sleep *scratches her head*

I don't how you do it. I couldn't do p90 anything with no sleep :shock:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I missed where you said why you were losing sleep *scratches her head*

I don't how you do it. I couldn't do p90 anything with no sleep :shock:

Heh, apparently I can't either. I did work out last Monday, but I missed the rest of the week. The lack of sleep finally caught up to me.

I did get lots of sleep over the 3 day weekend, so hopefully that'll help. I'm also quitting the P90X and doing a shorter, easier workout for now. Hopefully I can resume once I work through my funk.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh, apparently I can't either. I did work out last Monday, but I missed the rest of the week. The lack of sleep finally caught up to me.

I did get lots of sleep over the 3 day weekend, so hopefully that'll help. I'm also quitting the P90X and doing a shorter, easier workout for now. Hopefully I can resume once I work through my funk.

Thanks for the rep hug!! :hug:

I'm glad you got sleep. I am terrible with my sleeping patterns personally. I am working on that for next week. I think that weight loss has a lot to do with sleep though. At least, I know it does for me.

Also, I think taking it down a notch from P90X is good thing. I have heard it is hard! :shock:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Monday's weight: 265. Up a pound, but not terrible all things considered.

I did my workout Monday, but am in the middle of an allergy attack today, so on account of difficulty breathing, am taking the day off. Tomorrow is Yoga day.

Thanks for the rep hug!! :hug:

:hug:!

We're struggling a bit now, but if we just keep at it and don't give up, I really believe we'll regain our wind and start rocking it soon enough. My own personal goal is to just not give up and throw in the towel during the down phase, so I'll be ready when things pick up a bit.

I'm glad you got sleep. I am terrible with my sleeping patterns personally. I am working on that for next week. I think that weight loss has a lot to do with sleep though. At least, I know it does for me.

Also, I think taking it down a notch from P90X is good thing. I have heard it is hard! :shock:

It is! But there are alternate exercises that are easier.

If my current routine fails, I may try this one, or a variation of it:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not weighing myself this week because nothing good will come of it!

My primary dietary goal is to get back on track, and hit the grocery store.

I do plan on working out this week. To that end, I'd like to talk about the P90X3 program as I go through it.

P90X3 Intro:

So P90X3 has two primary calls to fame: First, the workouts are 30* minutes long, and second, P90X3 creator Tony Horton has suggested that the ideal order to tackle the P90X programs would be P90X3 -> P90X -> P90X2. Basically, P90X3 focuses on a lot of more basic core compound movements and high-intensity workouts, which help prepare you for the Pull-up/Push-up mania that is P90X. (From what I can tell, P90X2 is an unholy abomination.)

There are two caveats to the 30 minute workouts. First, there is a 12 minute "Cold-Start" workout that Tony suggests doing. It's pretty easy, and invaluable at 5:30 in the morning as a way to wake up and prepare for the more intense workout. Otherwise, you'll have to be prepared to really push yourself in the 2-3 minute warmup each workout provides. The other caveat is that there is a ~3 minute cool down at the end of each workout that's not counted towards the 30 minute total.

Day 1: Total Synergistics:

The first workout is a full body workout that focuses on compound movements (exercises that require many muscle groups) and balance. Each exercise appears to be a variation of a more traditional exercise. For example, instead of straight lunches or squats, you see something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reQjRLfIR3Y

The workout basically consists of 2 pull-up variations , 2 push-up variations, 2 squat variations, 2 abdominal exercise variations, 2 military shoulder press variations, 2 sets of curl variations, etc, for a total of 16 exercises.

I opted for the bands instead of the pull-ups, because the cheating with a chair didn't work very well with the movements you had to do at the top of the pull-up. Otherwise, I found this to be a challenging and pretty fun work out.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Workout completed. I'm feeling inspired to eat better today as well. :) My goals is to make meals consisting of:

2 palms of protein
2 fist sized servings of veggies
2 thumb sized servings of fatty foods (like seeds, nuts, egg yolk, etc)
Optional bonus: 2 fist sized servings of carbs. Primarily after my workout, so the goal is to focus on fruits and starchy foods for breakfast and lunch.

If I fail come dinner, I'll at least see if hunger - and not eating enough earlier in the day - played a role.

Day 2: Agility X

Before the workout, you need to lay two 4-6 foot strips of tape in parallel, around 4 feet apart. (Make the tape longer and farther apart to increase the difficulty.) Then you put an "X" at the beginning, middle, and end of each tape. These become your targets.

The workout consists mainly of sports-centric exercises where you run in patterns and/or jump from the various targets. There are a few exercises that focus on lunges, squat jumps, vertical leaps, and plyo push-ups, but this workout is mainly about moving, changing direction, and high stepping. The first 10 minutes, including the warm-up, isn't too bad, but man, after that the intensity really kicks up. I had to pause this one a few times to get my heart rate back to normal speed.

Overall, good workout, but I can see why this is considered by some to be the black sheep of this particular program.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Went to bed on time.
2. Exercised.
3. Diet is still crap. (Or rather, healthy food with too much junk to go with it.)

I do have an idea for quitting sugar that I'm excited to try, though.

Day 3: Yoga X

I don't have much to say about this one, really. It's definitely easier than the 90 minute P90X routine. My only issue is that it felt very rushed at the end. There were a lot of different poses that only lasted maybe 10 seconds or so.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do have an idea for quitting sugar that I'm excited to try, though.

What is your idea for quitting sugar? Sugar is like alcohol to me. I feel good immediately after consuming it but shortly afterward, I have a "hangover". Which I attempt to cure by consuming more sugar (my upper palate is sore right now from eating a bunch of butter mints while on a 3:00 a.m. reading/alone time binge :doh: ). As hard as the ketogenic diet is to maintain, I've been thinking of going back to it for a little bit.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is your idea for quitting sugar? Sugar is like alcohol to me. I feel good immediately after consuming it but shortly afterward, I have a "hangover". Which I attempt to cure by consuming more sugar (my upper palate is sore right now from eating a bunch of butter mints while on a 3:00 a.m. reading/alone time binge :doh: ). As hard as the ketogenic diet is to maintain, I've been thinking of going back to it for a little bit.

Basically, I'm trying to train myself to say "no" to junk food. It's worked the past 2 days, but let me go a week before going into details. I have the same issue though, where too much sugar makes me feel almost drunk.

Anyway, past 2 days were good. Went to bed early, and even got 8 hours of sleep last night. Diet was pretty good. For now, I'm not eating sweets, but I'm allowing up to a fist-sized portion of things like pasta. As for the exercises:

Day 4: The Challenge

Ah, here is the push-up/pull-up mania that I know and tolerate love!! The workout starts with you choosing two numbers: The number of push-ups, and the number of pull-ups you aim to do for each round during the workout. (I opted to use bands instead of cheating on my pull-ups. It may have been too easy, as everything is sore except my back.)

Once again, there are 16 total exercises, consisting of 4 rounds with 4 sets per round. Each round has a version of a pull-up, and then a version of a push-up, and then you repeat the same two exercises. After a one minute break, you then go into a different push-up/pull-up variation.

There is also a burnout round at the very end where you do 1 pullup, 3 pushups, and repeat for like a minute or two.

Overall, this one was quite tough. I kept my numbers pretty low, and by the end I was still shot.

Day 5: CVX

Pretty sure this stands for Cardiovascular X, as it's basically a cardiovascular workout with a light weight added in (5-10 pounds, max) for a bit of resistance training. I consider it to be a neater version of your standard aerobic workout that you see in many home-workout programs.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just in case anyone was actually following:

Day 6: The Warrior

16 exercises again. It's a whole body workout, focusing on a lower body, core, upper body, and agility-type movement for each round. I only made it about 12 minutes in though before I crashed, so hard for me to go into more detail. It's totally my fault, too. Between an allergy attack affecting my breathing, and skipping breakfast and doing the workout at 11:00AM, I simply didn't have the energy.

For next week, I'm going to take a break from the P90X3 and do an easier workout that I had from a previous program that I participated in. I think I need 4-8 weeks of an easier program and I'll be ready to really push myself with one of the P90X programs.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Today wasn't a perfect day, but it was probably the best one I've had in a month. Good enough that I'm going to count it.

Tracking my food is sort of blowing my mind, though. I forgot how much food I have to eat (2,700-3,000 calories), so even when I have 3 square meals, I'm still only getting about 1700-2000 calories. No wonder I keep on burning out! I can only starve my body for so long before it hits the emergency systems...

Anyway, my diet plan is pretty simple, and one that's a combination of the P90X3 diet plan plus the one recommended by Precision Nutrition. (This article goes into it a bit near the end.)

The plan consists of eye-balling your macro nutrient servings. So a "palm" sized portion of protein (meat, tofu, yogurt, etc) is 1 serving. A fist sized portion of veggies consists of 1 serving of carb. Likewise, a handful of fruit or starchy foods is considered 1 portion of carbs. (The idea is that a serving of veggies is a bit larger than other carbs.) A thumb sized portion of high fat foods (nuts, seeds, nut butters, 1/8-1/4 avocado) would be 1 serving of fat.

For someone of my size and activity level, my goal is to eat 9 servings of protein, 18 servings of carbs, and 8 servings of fat. I may adjust these down the road, but that's my starting point... and it's been really hard hitting them.

Protein: 4.5/9
Carbs: 11/18. (5 veggies, 4 fruits, 2 starches. I also had 5 sugar portions, but I won't count them towards my goal.)
Fat: 8/9