• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Gone on a diet and working out again.

6 lbs down since Sunday.

How do you like them apples?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Gone on a diet and working out again.

6 lbs down since Sunday.

How do you like them apples?

I'd ask what kind of diet.. That's REALLY rapid weight loss. Most people should be losing around 1-2 lbs a week. But then again, everyone is different, so..

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'd ask what kind of diet.. That's REALLY rapid weight loss. Most people should be losing around 1-2 lbs a week. But then again, everyone is different, so..

Been putting in some long hours at work.

Coming home so tired you fall into bed before you've had dinner does wonders. Only happened two days this week.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It would be really rapid later on in a diet, but the first couple of weeks sometimes sees a lot of water loss. It can be good for the old motivation.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Been putting in some long hours at work.

Coming home so tired you fall into bed before you've had dinner does wonders. Only happened two days this week.

Lately I've been having a lot of success with keeping my some weight with a raw vegan diet--mostly because it requires nearly zero prep work, just some think-ahead shopping. If you kept some hardy fruit in your car or something to eat along the way home, or by the bed to eat just before falling asleep? Lots of calories with not a lot of effort..

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It would be really rapid later on in a diet, but the first couple of weeks sometimes sees a lot of water loss. It can be good for the old motivation.

I always associate water weight loss with anxiety and stress.. Usually what happens is: they mistake that weight loss (eating higher fiber diets making everything icky push out, higher water intake making the body flush) as a normal thing, and then when it plateaus for a couple weeks after, they get all frowny faced about it.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I always associate water weight loss with anxiety and stress.. Usually what happens is: they mistake that weight loss (eating higher fiber diets making everything icky push out, higher water intake making the body flush) as a normal thing, and then when it plateaus for a couple weeks after, they get all frowny faced about it.

I just want to be the monster I used to be again.

But with the new job I don't have time to do what I used too : (

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I just want to be the monster I used to be again.

But with the new job I don't have time to do what I used too : (

My school is also occupying massive amounts of my time. I literally post on fb/typc in my small 5 minute breaks between studying and classes. I'm gone before the sun comes up, and frequently don't even get to see it besides stealing a peek through a window by the time I get home.

My current strategy is to workout when I can, and eat the best, fastest food possible. I've been looking at a lot of raw, vegan dishes and they seem to be the way to go. Raw oats, unprocessed sugars, whole vegetables.. I can prep a row of cups with breakfasts in them and put hot water in them from the complimentary coffee makers, and I carry a tupperware filled to the brim with fruit, and the same size with salads and vegetables, and I snack on the fruit throughout the day and eat the veggies at lunch time. While I don't have a juicer yet, I'm hoping to get one soon to add to the routine--because then I can make some pretty awesome raw desserts and juices with nearly no effort, and it's quick, smooth calories that can be made in advance as well.

I eat whatever I want for dinner right now, and I eat raw/vegan 80% of the time otherwise, with the other 20% being high quality (and eventually farmer market direct) animal product. I've been doing it mainly for convenience + nutrition, but it's been making me feel absolutely fantastic, and it's not really that expensive. Organic produce does cost more than non-organic, but I still find organic greens on sale all the time and catch enough produce savings to keep the costs down. Still, a $5 salad I made myself makes me feel better than a $5 wendy's burger ever did.

Nothing is faster than throwing together a salad. I've yet to find anything faster than that.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
BREAKING NEWS: I reached a new milestone this morning (literally)! 5 1/2 miles in 1 hr. 20 mins! :yays:

I was surprised to find that my pace is about the same as my brother's; but I suppose it's also good. We can check on each other's progress while running. :)

I feel so much fresher today, so much better about myself and my body. :D I hope to achieve even greater milestones within these last 3 weeks before our half-marathon in May.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great work, [MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION]! Now you have to start working on leaving your brother in the dust...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So I almost had this awful situation messing up my wonderful diet where my mother made from-the-box chicken rice and chicken nuggets for the kids--and somehow she lumped me into that.

I started off breakfast great with a green smoothie that had too little fruit in it to taste good but it was what my body was craving.. and I made some raw cookie dough bites with the kids out of seeds, nuts, oats, and a bit of maple syrup, vanilla, and handful of chocolate chips. But my mother thought she'd be nice and cook for me.

So, I turned it into something not so bad for me.. and took the leftover brie cheese, avocado, and greens and tore up 2-3 nuggets into little pieces and tossed them in buffalo wing sauce and used them as a topping on a huge salad that I had along side a wrap with lemon juice, vinegar, oil, and spices for dressing on all of it. Tons of greens and I still ate something my mom made so she wouldn't get all frowny faced about it.

Going to chow down on some watermelon this afternoon, enjoy some serious boudain-stuffed-pork-and-vegetable sloppy joes for dinner with greens and BBQ sauce on top, and tomorrow I'm trying this:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/orange-chicken-makeover.html
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
week 12 update:

Did well for the most part, except I think I overstretched my knee ligament while I was doing my split stretching on tues, and my knee hurt pretty badly for the next few days. So I decided to skip the stretching for the rest of the week. Then pretty much every day I was doing a crapload of stuff at work that involved having my arms raised for hours on end, and my right shoulder was killing me on wed/thurs. So with the combination I decided to skip the bodyweight for Thurs. Excuses excuses, but I think it was the right thing to do. So I ended up with bodyweight 2/3 and stretching 3/5 days. Could be worse I guess.

I modified my workout after 6 weeks so I figured I'd stick with the pattern and modify it again after 12. My new routine is:

1) Bodyweight squats (just to warmup mostly)
2) side plank (new!)
3) Cossack squats (new!)
4) pushups
5) bulgarian split squats
6) tricep pushups
7) lunges with new! shoulder press
8) bent-over rows
9) plank

No major changes, but should be a bit longer and tougher now. I'm also going to stick with the splits stretching because I think the flexibility will help me, but I'm going to take it easier on the middle splits stretching to avoid hurting my knees again.

I'm still avoiding making a specific goal about diet, but I'm trying to trick myself into keeping track of everything I eat "for fun", and so far it's working pretty well. I am definitely a spreadsheet nerd so it is kinda fun to see how many calories/etc are in everything, and track how I'm doing throughout the day. I use google docs so it's fairly accessible everywhere. I'm staying away from deliberate manipulation of my diet for now (cause well, I only have so much willpower to go around) but I can see that I'm often lower on protein than I'd like, and can also see how much protein is in my usual foods, so I can keep that in mind when I'm buying/preparing food.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the update, [MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION]. Read an article not too long ago that stated that high protein intake had a higher correlation with fat loss than both low carb intake OR high carb intake. I know my craving for junk food all but disappeared once I doubled my protein intake.

As for my update this week:

Solid, albeit not perfect. I worked out 4 out of 7 days (with my goal being 6/7). I also journaled 4/7 days. I'm prepared to start back up again tomorrow.

I'm still at a place where my #1 priority needs to be planning my meals for the week, so I can prep everything twice during the week and basically have everything ready when I need it. I'm getting more active in other areas of my life, and cooking during the week is becoming detrimental to my other goals.

I also increased the difficulty of my workouts on Saturday. Nothing at the level of P90X3, but I think after doing this routine for 4 weeks or so, I may be ready to give P90X3 a shot.

My weight seems to be stable. I think after the 4 week period I'll start focusing on weight loss, as well.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION]

I took this past week off. I did some of the things on my list

Went to yoga and stuff....but I didn't keep track.

I'll start back up again tomorrow

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
checking in...

I did my exercise program this weekend!
I did my ab crunches every morning.

I just found out that there's a possibility that Wrist Curls 3X a week could help make my golfer's elbow go away! So, I'm going to try it!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Next week, we will have reached the original projected end date for the Exercise Challenge. For those that care to share, how do you guys think you did for the first 3 months? Are you proud of your progress? Do you have any lessons learned that you are going to take with you for the next three months?

Okay, on to the list!

Week 12 Participation List
Coriolis
INTJMom
Ivy
Kasper
kyuuei
MorningStar
Randomnity
Redbone
Udog
Urarienev

And requesting an update from the following guys:
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION]

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I hope it's okay- I'm going to switch my goals up a little. I'm feeling pretty good about what I've tried to put in place now and I'm ready to have a bit more specific goals that are a bit easier to quantify.

Food- My goal is to continue to avoid binging, stay in a calorie range that incorporates a very small deficit from my TDEE, and hit a daily protein target. This past week I did that on 6 days out of 7.
Activity- I'm going to continue to work on a steps goal, but ramp it up to a goal of 6K steps a day. That is about three miles. I'm fairly consistently hitting the 5K target so I feel like I need to step up my game, so to speak. This past week I made 6K on 4 days out of 7.
Sleep/Stress- New goal- continue to get 7-8 hours at night, shorten daily nap to 1hr. (Right now it's about 1.5, sometimes 2.) Keep the stress levels low, although that's not always in my hands- but I can at least not stress myself out on top of whatever situational stress comes my way. This past week I did that on 5 of 7 days.

I'm still going to work on connecting with my loved ones, but I don't think I'll track it here.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Next week, we will have reached the original projected end date for the Exercise Challenge. For those that care to share, how do you guys think you did for the first 3 months? Are you proud of your progress? Do you have any lessons learned that you are going to take with you for the next three months?

I feel really, really good about my progress. To be honest I have never been able to sustain any changes for this long without feeling like I'm trying to push a boulder uphill, but this feels different.

My challenge on the back 9 is to keep my enthusiasm from fizzling AND/OR learn how to do this on autopilot.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the tap [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION]! I'm hanging on by thread!

I mentioned in my blog that this was first day of my Ehlers-Danlos PT. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good because I thought I'd like this :cry: when it was over. But no, we're starting slow. I do have some intensive exercises to do at home and I'll have to keep it up on a daily basis in order to gain joint stability and keep it. This is good because I do better with having some kind of order like this imposed on me by a professional. I'll be able to increase the amount of exercise once I get more stability. As a bonus, I got resistance strips that I can use to exercise with and/or tie people up with.

Diet is going well and I have enjoyed transitioning to a Mediterranean style diet (this will be much easier once I'm back on the East coast! :dry: ). I fix small amounts with small plates and try to use a wide-variety of foods. I have noted that my appetite has not gone back up even though I'm eating carbs so I'm very pleased with that. I still limit my sweets to having sugar in my coffee or eating fruit (I did have some birthday ice cream! :D).

Status
Not open for further replies.