• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Tinker683 gain weight

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to be like this but not that thin. When I was a teenager, i would eat till I couldn't stuff myself anymore. Nothing worked except for strength training and that has limits. You could try weights and 100 - 150 grams of protein a day. Try a personal trainer for a few weeks amd let him know your goals. Number of reps and sets matter.

Maybe [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] has a comment.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just a quick update, will post some responses this evening:

I've only been doing this for about a week or so and I've three things

1) My sleep seems to have improved some. I'm falling asleep faster and sleeping longer (and thereby feeling more refreshed in the morning)
2) Mentally I feel better than I did before, like I have more energy
3) I am hungry ALL THE GOD DAMNED TIME!!!! It's insane! It's like my stomach is a furnace and I have to keep throwing things into it.

I haven't even started the weights yet, just the body workouts and the increase in diet :shock:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really? That's awesome!

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thought I'd post an update while I still have some feeling in my arms:

I got lazy a few weeks ago after I was down with a bad cold bug and didn't exercise much for a while. So I decided to scrunge up the cash and got myself a personal trainer. Today was my first day and he *really* worked me, I can barely feel my arms.

Only twice a week, upper body one day and lower the next, but I'm feeling really good about this. I really like having someone looking over my shoulder, pushing me for that next rep, who knows what to do and can correct my form or tell me when to stop before I hurt myself.

I've very excited! Looking forward to seeing what kind of work he and I can do :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've struggled a lot with gaining weight--I always end up losing it when I try. Being sedentary will make me gain weight quickly--just not the kind I want. :D So I feel your stress.. I am NOT a thin, long-distance-runner's body, and I have trouble with it, so I understand that entirely.

You DO need to consume more calories than you burn. That's a simple, practical bit of common sense. If you burn all of the calories you eat, you will NOT gain weight. Sure, the TYPE of calories you need are going to be different from other people--and they still need to be healthy--but you MUST consume them. Having high-calorie, small snacks is probably the best way to start out with that. Things that are not full of bulk and fiber (like veggies) that will not fill you up and make you feel icky all day either (like complete junk food). But starting out small--like maybe a high calorie granola bar between breakfast and lunch, and a dessert after dinner that's not full of glutamate and sweeteners like old fashioned ice cream are simple ways to 'add' food to your diet without killing yourself. Avocados, for example, have a lot of calories in them and they're not too filling.. so simply adding an avocado to your sandwich could be a great way to help give you the calories you need. You don't need a TON more all at once.. Slow, gradual steps will build up your appetite.

Speaking of... Exercise is absolutely required. You need protein in your diet so that you can build the muscles you need. Everyone is RIGHT on track with the idea of lifting weights vs more body-type physical activity like Kung Fu. (I would argue Kung Fu is actually really awesome to learn, practical or not, but maybe and your ballroom dancing should be your 'cardio' days, and leave the rest to weight lifting.) You need to push some weight around--whether that be your own, or using things you find around the house, or at a gym with people who know what they're doing. A gym is a really great place to find support for things like this, but even if you're crunched for money, there are plenty of exercises that are free that you can do to lift heavy weights and things.

Keep us posted on your progress, I really like to read people working towards goals like this.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when i was active alcoholic i gained weight. So if you want to destroy your life and be a shit show, but gain weight, i suggest alcoholism

I keed I keed. Don't do that, trust me it's not fun in the end. I'm just now getting my life together.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
when i was active alcoholic i gained weight. So if you want to destroy your life and be a shit show, but gain weight, i suggest alcoholism

I keed I keed. Don't do that, trust me it's not fun in the end. I'm just now getting my life together.

Sorry to hear about that :(

I hope things do get better for ya!

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just thought I'd give an update: I've been pretty steady with my personal trainer and I've been following his instructions and thus far it seems to be paying off: I've gained 4 or 5 pounds this past month and I'm eating MUCH more than I did before and I feel great!

I'm hoping in a few more months I'll start to actually LOOK like I'm gaining weight :D

R

Riva

4-5 Lbs in a month. I'm feeling jealous.

Are you taking any supplements and if yes, what are they (did he recommend any supplements)?
What are the trainer's charges? (I want to do a comparison to the charges here).

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4-5 Lbs in a month. I'm feeling jealous.

Are you taking any supplements and if yes, what are they (did he recommend any supplements)?
What are the trainer's charges? (I want to do a comparison to the charges here).

Well, I think it helps that aside from the 1-2 days a week that I go dancing and the two days he works me out, I just sit around not doing much of anything but I still eat everything like I'm working out that day. I'm hungry all the damned time now so it can't be helped.

My trainer charges $100/mo for two days a week. The sessions usually last about 20-30 minutes and that's because right there is very little cardio: I warm up with pushups or squats, then he puts me on several machines with low reps but higher weights. By the time I'm done whatever part of my body we worked out is sore as all get out for 2-3 days afterwards. I've made good progress though. My very first session was upper body and I couldn't even do one push up after I was done. Last Tuesday we did upper body again, 5 weeks after my first session, and I could do 4 sets of 10 pushups. I *love* knowing that I'm getting stronger.

Right now I'm not taking any supplements, but he did recommend one for me which I'm going to try once I get back from my vacation week after next. Right now I just eat a shit load of protein and complex carbs (red potatoes, brown rice) on his orders and it seems to be working pretty well.

I'm feeling pretty good about this. I don't know if my next 4 weeks will have similar progress but we'll see.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Holy necro-threading Batman!

So, update since I wrote this 4 years ago: I actually ended up gaining about 40 pounds by the end of 2013 and have only recently begun to lose weight again (due to my diet change up having recently discovered I'm gluten sensitive. I'm meeting up with ym doctor next week to make sure it's not celiacs disease).

I don't train like I used too at all, I work too much, but I'm trying to get back on that horse.....trying anyway.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Drink beer, not even joking. XD

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm also working on gaining weight. I weigh 154 pounds at 5'11". Lifting weights and eating much, much more than you're used to seems to be the solution. It's what's worked so far for me. Four years ago, I only weighed 110 pounds. I'd like to weigh around 170 pounds, that's the goal for the year, to get stronger and be more active.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm also working on gaining weight. I weigh 154 pounds at 5'11". Lifting weights and eating much, much more than you're used to seems to be the solution. It's what's worked so far for me. Four years ago, I only weighed 110 pounds. I'd like to weigh around 170 pounds, that's the goal for the year, to get stronger and be more active.

Not going to lie, I forgot this thread existed until I happened to wander back over here and happened to notice someone responded to this :laugh:

My weight is still more or less the same, and I'm horribly out of shape. I just got a big promotion a month ago and I've been adjusting to that, haven't had much motivation to hit the weights. I really need too

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
strength training and lots of protein