• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Marmie Dearest's Motion and Movement Diary

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hi. My loose goals are stated in the exercise challenge thread. This will be my log of daily/weekly fitness as well as mentions of whether or not I am sticking to other health or nutrition goals. It shall be updated approximately every 2 to 5 days.

Let's start with yesterday:

Saturday - 60 minutes power yoga (yang, active, non-heated).

Sunday - 60 minutes hot power yoga (yang, active, heated.)

Also 75 minutes core restore yoga (yin, gentle, non-heated).

Did well on little to no refined sugar. No alcohol. No diet soda.

I'll probably be doing yoga a lot this week, as I have the opportunity and I have been under an unnatural amount of stress in the past few weeks.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Monday - 75 minutes core restore (yin)

Tuesday - 60 minutes heated power yoga (yang)

Wednesday - 75 minutes core restore (yin).

I did core restore three times this week because of my outrageous stress levels, and have noted incredible progress in my sleep, mood, and even my experience during class each time, with Sunday feeling like some kind of amazing relief, and Monday surprisingly more challenging, and today physically Im the best Ive been (rested, energetic, no soreness, more patience) but mentally I had the hardest time being still today of all three days. The instructor even came over and massaged my face in one pose until I closed my eyes.

I challenged myself Tuesday by going up a level in power yoga, and the instructor said I was fine, but I think I need to stay at the first heated level longer until I feel like I am really ready. Yoga isn't competitive and its about self mastery which takes time and patience.

Some walking, as usual. No diet soda. No alcohol. Some refined sugar but only in whole grain, high fiber foods.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Since I did three hours of power yoga and nearly four hours of core restore, I took Thursday, Friday, and Saturday off from yoga. However on these off days I did some walking. I also abstained entirely from any alcohol.

The bad news is that over my rest days I did consume diet soda and refined sugar. I may have to set aside one day per week for sugar treats and allow myself moderate amounts of diet soda, but drinking a lot less of it, drinking other beverages especially on days I work out.

So...

Sunday - 75 minutes core restore (yin, gentle, non-heated)

Monday - 60 minutes power yoga (yang, active, non-heated).

My present goal is to do yang yoga three days (maybe four; if I feel like my body can handle it) and at least one and up to three sessions of yin yoga. If I do some walking I see no reason to add jogging to this level of exercise. Power yoga is pretty intense .

Im back on track with no diet soda and little refined sugar.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know a good health strategy that will blow your mind - eat less and do more!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay a wild troll bait appears. Anyway, back to meeeee!

Ive done 3 75 minute sessions of yin core restore since I last updated this journal, due to illness and other issues.

I also purchased a 60 minute vinyasa flowing yoga video in the mean time, so if I have financial or time issues I can still do yoga.

I did a 60 minute session at home today.

I also have been walking. Even if i just walk to the store or laundry mat and back that's approximately 3 miles.

Its approximately 2 miles to the coffee shop and would be 4 miles there and back.

I plan to go to the beach and do some biking in the next week.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually there may have been 4 or 5 sessions of yin yoga, but three for certain
because I did one last week and at least two the week of my birthday.

I had strep directly after I updated here, and then did not do any yang yoga the following week because of menstruation so only did yin yoga.

I should be back on track with the vinyasa starting today since I can do it from home or elsewhere and dont have to attend a class in a certain location.

Vinyasa isn't as hardcore as heated yoga, but would still be considered yang because of the flowing nature of it. I can also get the advanced DVD if I master this one.

Because of the lack of heat Im sure I can do this DVD 4 to 5 days a week.

Then if I want to take a yin class or a heated class here and there I can take it individually.

This home DVD will actually strengthen my postures, breath, and flow when I take bikram in the future.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have completely given up diet soda and have lost my taste for soda for the most part in the half-year since I began this abandoned health blog.

I am currently not eating meat or eggs, basically no flesh of any kind, and I've noticed it helps my digestion feel lighter ...though I'm kind of a quasi-veg because I can't resist broccoli cheddar soup, which has a chicken BROTH base. Meat based broths in soups are my main consumption of animal products besides dairy. But the idea of eating meat or eggs directly actually disgusts me now, and I think this is a product of my evolving morality about consuming dead animals. Supposedly eating dead flesh drags down one's yoga practice.

I still drink wine and eat sweets sometimes, but I'm on a "no alcohol, no sweets" kick right now because I'm trying to learn non-grasping...non-grasping is the idea of letting things go that we desire, things that are like crutches or vices to us (but aren't a vital need) to see what will take it's place. Its similar to Christians giving up something for Lent, but non-grasping is a yoga principle.

I suffered a nasty flu in January and it set me back in my physical asana (yoga flow classes) practice, but I think increased my spiritual awareness via meditation and breath, since that's all I could do for two weeks, besides some very light restorative poses.

So I've gone back and started taking some level 1 flow classes to get my strength and alignment back, though I was more like a level 2 and taking level 1-2 flow or level 2-3 classes prior to my illness.

This teaches humility and will improve my alignment.

Right after Thanksgiving, I did a three day yoga retreat in the mountains of Ojai, CA on a historic vineyard, and it was amazing. Four yoga classes, vegan catered food, and hiking, as well as "luxury camping" (meaning staying in a yurt/tea house contraption, with a wooden floor, a bed and a heater, but with a tent over it to give that "outdoor" experience).

This coming weekend I'm doing six hours of a Taoist yoga workshop.

Today I did 90 minutes of a level 1 flow class.

I also walk regularly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, I have completely switched to vinyasa yoga (with some iyengar and yin yoga classes) and no longer participate in hot yoga, because I want the emphasis on building of internal heat through breath work (instead of forced external heat) as well as a greater focus on the meditative aspects of yoga. Apparently there are more inversions in non-heated yoga, or what I like to call "real yoga."