• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life Mechanics

V

violaine

Exercise:

I'm trying to find the optimal way to look and feel the way I like to. Low-impact, lengthy exercise works best for me. I don't like how I look when I run and lift weights, (too muscular, too lean and I get a square waist, noo!) I want to keep a softer look though a little more tone would be fine. I don't want to lose weight. Just want to be fit and strong and to use exercise as a way to be happy and to de-stress. I'm going to tour my way through things like walking, swimming, bike-riding and yoga... Perhaps try to find some more water sports, like kayaking.

The point is to be more active.

I will do one of the above activities for at least six hours per week for the remainder of May and likely most of June. Whether that is walking for two hours three times a week, or engaging in one hour of activity six times a week.

Diet:

I want to incorporate more fresh produce into my diet. At least three servings of fresh food per day.
I want to have fish at least once per week.
I am giving up snacking on chocolate. (Though not my occasional soy-hot-chocolate-no-extra-sugar).
I want to be more diligent with certain supplements I take - e.g. Omegas.
I will try to stick to low GI foods.

I am currently deciding whether to follow a more alkaline diet. And looking into Blue Zone habits for longevity. I'll make a decision about those later.

Sleep:

I want to get between eight and nine hours per night. If I am able to better organize my day, I would like to sleep for seven and a half hours per night and build in an afternoon nap of forty-five minutes.

Miscellaneous:

My worst physical habit is hunching my shoulders. It's a stress response, so I want to try to be more aware of my body in order to correct those little snarls. *shoulders down*

V

violaine

I met my exercise goals for the previous week.

I walked for two hours yesterday. And two hours today.

V

violaine

One hr and forty-five mins of walking today.

Going away for work tomorrow for two to three weeks.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exercise:
I'm trying to find the optimal way to look and feel the way I like to. Low-impact, lengthy exercise works best for me. I don't like how I look when I run and lift weights, (too muscular, too lean and I get a square waist, noo!)

A noble quest indeed! :pumpyouup:
Remember, the two worst enemies of a person with high self-expectations are:

(1) Mirrors, and
(2) Dynamic Goals (e.g. You set a goal, you reach it, and then immediately set another goal and lose sight of reaching your previously selected new equilibrium)

I want to keep a softer look though a little more tone would be fine.

This sounds like a function of identifying the "right bodyfat percentage" more than anything else.
Remember, salt intake and water intake can play just as much a role in how your physique LOOKS as compared to your LEVEL of PHYSICAL FITNESS.
This is why bodybuilders take Lasix twice per day for the last two days before they compete.
They get razor thin skin temporarily, and achieve that "shredded" look for their shows.
I'm not reccommending you try this at all, merely offering it as an extreme example of how hydration/sodium intake affect the human physique.

I don't want to lose weight. Just want to be fit and strong and to use exercise as a way to be happy and to de-stress.

Exactly.
Your quest is to "optimize your body composition."

As a lifelong practicioner of that quest, I offer the following.

(1) Learn the basic human body types (ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph) and perform an honest assessment of your own proportions and composition.

(2) Recognize "The Cardinal Rule" of physique optimization: SPOT TRAINING, or SPOT REDUCING are MTHYICAL CONCEPTS.

(3) Embrace the following series of thoughts: "My physique deviates from having perfect proportions in the following ways (a, b, c) - AND - it is of benefit to me because __________."

(4) Cast out thoughts of the following nature: "My physique deviates from having perfect proportions in the following ways (a, b, c) - AND - it is a disadvantage to me because __________."

I'm going to tour my way through things like walking, swimming, bike-riding and yoga... Perhaps try to find some more water sports, like kayaking.

Awesome! I salute you for that! :nice:

The point is to be more active.

Motion is Lotion.
Use it or LOSE IT.

I will do one of the above activities for at least six hours per week for the remainder of May and likely most of June. Whether that is walking for two hours three times a week, or engaging in one hour of activity six times a week.

Rock on with your bad self! :rock:

Diet:
I want to incorporate more fresh produce into my diet. At least three servings of fresh food per day.
I want to have fish at least once per week.
I am giving up snacking on chocolate. (Though not my occasional soy-hot-chocolate-no-extra-sugar).
I want to be more diligent with certain supplements I take - e.g. Omegas.

Nice.
You might want to lookup the "Cyclical Ketogenic Diet."

It's interesting because if you limit your carb intake M - F, you can essentially eat with alot of freedom Saturday and Sunday, and wind up with a very lean physique that has good mucle tone and is not overly bulky.

I will try to stick to low GI foods.

There are alot of good reasons to do this.

I am currently deciding whether to follow a more alkaline diet. And looking into Blue Zone habits for longevity. I'll make a decision about those later.

I know nothing of this, but from past experience, can tell you that I have tried every dietary supplement known to man over the last 20 years, and I am of the opinion that they are no more than 5% of my overall best physical condition.

Therefore, I think its best to focus on really being strict and pure with implementing the core aspects of a whole foods diet, with reduced carb intake, and 2 day loading periods of carbs after each 5 day sprint of low glycemic eating.

The money and time spent pursuing fitness trends can be used for other purposes.
And remember, if any of that stuff worked too good, it would be ILLEGAL or BANNED.

Sleep:
I want to get between eight and nine hours per night. If I am able to better organize my day, I would like to sleep for seven and a half hours per night and build in an afternoon nap of forty-five minutes.

My from the hip response is to take the longest single stretch of sleep you can, and cut out naps unless absolutely needed.
Even if you SLEEP, the amount of REST you get is directly proportional to the DEEP SLEEP/REM that occurs for prolonged periods ONLY AFTER you've been resting for a whiole.

So, cutting out that extra hour at night is about as counter-productive as cutting your cardio in one session from one hour to 30 minutes.
See what I mean?

Miscellaneous:
My worst physical habit is hunching my shoulders. It's a stress response, so I want to try to be more aware of my body in order to correct those little snarls. *shoulders down*

Shoulders back!
Chin up!
Chest out!
March forward and conquer!!! <and look GREAT doing it>

:solidarity:

-Alex

V

violaine

Aw, thank you [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] , you're the bestest! :hug: Such a lot of good info for me to go through. Hmm, particularly about the body fat percentage. I used to like being quite lean... But something has changed lately. I can't wait to parse all of this more finely.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aw, thank you [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] , you're the bestest! :hug: Such a lot of good info for me to go through.

You're VERY welcome! :hifive:

I've always been supportive of people trying to maximize their fitness; I think it is a very natural yearning that when properly embraced is the key to much joy, heatlh and self-esteem.

Hmm, particularly about the body fat percentage. I used to like being quite lean... But something has changed lately. I can't wait to parse all of this more finely.

Consider this.
For a male bodybuilder to have a "six-pack" of abdominals, his bodyfat percentage must be between 6% - 8%.
That is LOW.
If the same guy changes his diet too much for too long, his bodyfate will quickly go from 8% to 10%, and he will not longer have "six-pack abs."
That's a huge difference in overall physique with a very small change in overall regimen.
The guy will still look great, but the example is an easy one to see how it's easy to get obsessed with things and ultimately let them get to your head.

Mrs. Halla has always been leaner than me.
That little stinker can get shredded abs in no time if she simply tries.
But, if I am to be honest, I'm happier if she isn't trying that hard because I like it when her boobs and her butt have a little more squeeze to them. :happy:
Plus taking her out to a French bakery for coffee and a box of pastries is my idea of a fun dinner. :newwink:

Cheers!

:hug:

-Alex

V

violaine

You're VERY welcome! :hifive:

I've always been supportive of people trying to maximize their fitness; I think it is a very natural yearning that when properly embraced is the key to much joy, heatlh and self-esteem.

Yeah. And I just love "traveling light" as it were. It's such a nice, free feeling - can't stand anything that impairs my ability to physically do as I please.

I also find that I'm much more laser-like in my focus when I'm more fit. I never shy away from things I have to do to get where I want, but when I'm feeling really strong in my body, I actually really love taking on a challenge.

It was a similar feeling for me when I started eating meat again. I felt so much more grounded and present in my body.

Consider this.
For a male bodybuilder to have a "six-pack" of abdominals, his bodyfat percentage must be between 6% - 8%.
That is LOW.
If the same guy changes his diet too much for too long, his bodyfate will quickly go from 8% to 10%, and he will not longer have "six-pack abs."
That's a huge difference in overall physique with a very small change in overall regimen.
The guy will still look great, but the example is an easy one to see how it's easy to get obsessed with things and ultimately let them get to your head.

Mrs. Halla has always been leaner than me.
That little stinker can get shredded abs in no time if she simply tries.
But, if I am to be honest, I'm happier if she isn't trying that hard because I like it when her boobs and her butt have a little more squeeze to them. :happy:
Plus taking her out to a French bakery for coffee and a box of pastries is my idea of a fun dinner. :newwink:

Cheers!

:hug:

-Alex

Heh, *hifives Mrs Halla* Womanly abs are so damned impressive.

Jeepers, that is some low bodyfat... I look a bit square everywhere when I'm too lean/non-squish. I've never really investigated if there are ways for me to sculpt things more while being lean - but I get lean and then look like I have the body of a twelve year old. :sadbanana: Have had to make peace with the non-abs as I want to keep the good squish too.

And yay for occasional pastries! I think the occasional breakfast pastry can ward off longing and binges. Preventative pastry-ing, as it were. :wizfreak:

V

violaine

I also swam for half an hour last week and went for two more walks that lasted an hour each.

I'm doing well with nixing chocolate too. I think I've only had it once in about three weeks. And I didn't really enjoy it. ( :sadbanana: ). Maybe my chocky munching days are over.

I'm really craving fresh fruit and vegetables and have been going with those cravings. I've been noticing that I have much better energy lately. Constant and even throughout the day and then I fall fast asleep at night. It could be the change of season as well, but I can't wait to get going in the mornings and I just need to move, move, move. I can't stand sitting around and waiting for anything lately. :shrug:

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't stand sitting around and waiting for anything lately.

it sounds like you're ready to visit me again. we'll pick up some exercize outfits and do something low-key/high-cardio.

brasil_carnaval.jpg

V

violaine

Haha. Always ready for that, lovely. :hug: . I'm sick of my stupid life getting in the way. Srsly, even when I'm out there, there's some thing that pulls me back over to the East Coast. *frustration*

V

violaine

And this time, I'll make sure things fit appropriately. God, you know you must look-like-a-good-girl? if random men are gently warning you that you're about the fall out of your corset. :p

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh:

yesterday was Bay to Breakers. our anniversary!! :heart: and the little girls who live next door came climbing into my back garden to tell me all about the ladies they saw in the race who forgot to wear their "top parts".

come! you'll tire of the NE winter soon enough.

V

violaine

Yeah, got back and it's raining... Bah.

Lol, I want little girls to talk about us one day! (Hmm, still have those novelty, leaf pasties. I would so do that if there were no men around. They always get the wrong idea. :p :dont: )

Last edited:

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this leads me to the subject of That Thing In the Desert.

Burning Man...
b4ppl3908.jpg

(i actually never saw anything of the sort last year. although i did wake up in a yurt one time, in my tutu and corset from the night before, surrounded by persian carpets indian silks and hookahs as well as several newfound/apparently hallucinating "friends". very Zoolander.)

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
is this private?

V

violaine

this leads me to the subject of That Thing In the Desert.

Burning Man...
b4ppl3908.jpg

(i actually never saw anything of the sort last year. although i did wake up in a yurt one time, in my tutu and corset from the night before, surrounded by persian carpets indian silks and hookahs as well as several newfound/apparently hallucinating "friends". very Zoolander.)

Haha, I can imagine. I remember a pic you sent me of a model-esque gent. (That could even be him second from the right...)

is this private?

I think this sub-forum can only be seen by members. Otherwise, nah.

-------

Still on track. Met goals for last week. Walked for four hours on Sunday. Expect to do quite a bit of canyon walking this week.

Going to add squats and push ups.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You'll need to eat more to bulk up and keep the level of fat you have esp if you're doing lots of cardio.

V

violaine

[MENTION=15315]UniqueMixture[/MENTION] - It's funny you should mention that. I've been pondering that issue. I'm not currently losing weight and not trying to - but I was thinking of building shapely muscle as a way to stave off getting too thin if I work out too much.

I'm not sleeping enough lately to get too thin though.

----

I was sick last week, so didn't get a full week of exercise. I walked for about four hours on Sunday, so almost made up for it.

Back to the usual routine this week. Well, as regular as it gets while traveling. Looking forward to getting back to New York. Thinking of joining Chelsea Piers. :wizfreak: That will give me the opportunity to liven up my exercise routine with yoga, swimming and golfing at the driving range.