• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting Disco back in fighting shape

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Just got back from doing 10 miles on the bike.

I was sweating like a mad man, it must be 101 outside.

It took me 40:42... Shaved about a minute and a half off my best time at that distance.

I had an average speed of 14.9 mph... Up from my previous best of 14.2.

:pumpyouup:

Disco: if you're riding when it's that hot, take Gatoraid, or something else that has electrolytes.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm trying to keep the Disco safe!

Your concern as always, is much appreciated. :cheers:

I want to try a longer 20 or 30 mile ride this weekend just to get comfortable with being on the bike for several hours as opposed to 40 minutes.

I eventually want to do an MS 150.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Your concern as always, is much appreciated. :cheers:

I want to try a longer 20 or 30 mile ride this weekend just to get comfortable with being on the bike for several hours as opposed to 40 minutes.

I eventually want to do an MS 150.

Then you MUST take Gatoraid. You must. If you ride that far in heat, you sweat more. Sweating loses salts. Salts are what make your muscles function. If you replace with water only, you risk diluting your blood and can pass out or worse.
You can buy a little round plastic thingy of Gatoraid powder. Mix it into water. Take extra in a small plastic bag. You will need more than you think when it's that hot. Maybe get another bottle and bottle cage on the bike.
Of course any electrolyte replacement will work. I don't work for Gatoraid! lol

Beorn

Permabanned
Then you MUST take Gatoraid. You must. If you ride that far in heat, you sweat more. Sweating loses salts. Salts are what make your muscles function. If you replace with water only, you risk diluting your blood and can pass out or worse.
You can buy a little round plastic thingy of Gatoraid powder. Mix it into water. Take extra in a small plastic bag. You will need more than you think when it's that hot. Maybe get another bottle and bottle cage on the bike.
Of course any electrolyte replacement will work. I don't work for Gatoraid! lol

I always found pure water the most refreshing during endurance workouts. So instead of Gatorade I just popped electrolyte tabs or pills. They're particularly helpful during actual races where they make it easier to regulate your electrolyte intake during the race without fixing it to your fluid intake.

While we're on safety tips... drink enough water to stay hydrated, but don't drink too much water. It can kill you. Seriously. Bikers are particularly vulnerable. I know you've participated in other athletic ventures before, but endurance sports have their own unique dangers.

Good luck with the biking and have fun.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I don't push as hard when I go out on long rides (over an hour).

I've done several hour and half 15 milers before and not had too much trouble with my fluid intake. I was fine with just one water bottle full of water. I'm going to bring my second water bottle along, and I'll fill that with some Gatorade, and keep water in my first water bottle.

I think I'm going to break down and finally get some padded shorts as well.

Bike seats really do tear your ass up.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I always found pure water the most refreshing during endurance workouts. So instead of Gatorade I just popped electrolyte tabs or pills. They're particularly helpful during actual races where they make it easier to regulate your electrolyte intake during the race without fixing it to your fluid intake. While we're on safety tips... drink enough water to stay hydrated, but don't drink too much water. It can kill you. Seriously. Bikers are particularly vulnerable. I know you've participated in other athletic ventures before, but endurance sports have their own unique dangers.

Good luck with the biking and have fun.

What do you see as the downside of fixing it to your fluid intake?

Beorn

Permabanned
What do you see as the downside of fixing it to your fluid intake?

In a long race I just felt it gave me the option to also get my electrolytes from my calorie sources in food and energy shots. Moreover, energy shots go down easier with water and I didn't really like the taste of the electrolyte drinks served at most of my races.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Just got back from the ride.

I went farther today than I've ever been before. I went 18.1 miles in 1:18:28.

I had an average speed of 13.8 mph which isn't tooo bad considering I've never ridden this far before. While riding, I totally hit the wall at about 40 minutes (the average length of my daily rides), but I pushed through and I still felt pretty good at the end.

That being said, I was so worn out when I got home that I ended up throwing up in the sink after I took a cold shower to cool off, but all in all things went pretty well.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Took Saturday and Sunday off to let my legs recover.

Went out for 10 miles today. I ate lunch way too late and didn't give myself enough time to let the food digest.

Stomach did not feel well at all during the ride. However this was my first time using my padded bike shorts, and they were awesome.

The difference with and without them is night and day. If you ride alot, you gotta get a pair.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That being said, I was so worn out when I got home that I ended up throwing up in the sink after I took a cold shower to cool off, but all in all things went pretty well.
I'm pretty sure that means you're doing it wrong. :D

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm pretty sure that means you're doing it wrong. :D

Quite possibly.

I had to work late today so I didn't get on the bike until a little later than usual. It was a little cooler and I didn't have near the problem with overheating that I did yesterday.

I went 12.2 miles in 47:44 with an avg speed of 15.4 mph. A new personal best at that distance.

I'm exhausted.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Quite possibly.

I had to work late today so I didn't get on the bike until a little later than usual. It was a little cooler and I didn't have near the problem with overheating that I did yesterday.

I went 12.2 miles in 47:44 with an avg speed of 15.4 mph. A new personal best at that distance.

I'm exhausted.

It's interestin that you measure the effectiveness of your workout in distance and speed. I actually went out and bought a special watch that tells me how many calories that I have burned. So therefore I measure my workouts in calories. Today I burned 800 calories.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It's interestin that you measure the effectiveness of your workout in distance and speed. I actually went out and bought a special watch that tells me how many calories that I have burned. So therefore I measure my workouts in calories. Today I burned 800 calories.

I try to treat weight loss as an ancillary benefit of getting good at a sport.

If I just focused on losing weight I would probably not be as successful as I have been in the past.

When I was training MMA I cared about getting better at that... not losing weight. Yea I loved the way I looked and enjoyed the increased attention from the opposite sex, but what always motivated me was the desire to keep getting better.

I've tried and failed before when I focused on weight loss as the ultimate goal.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I try to treat weight loss as an ancillary benefit of getting good at a sport.

If I just focused on losing weight I would probably not be as successful as I have been in the past.

When I was training MMA I cared about getting better at that... not losing weight. Yea I loved the way I looked and enjoyed the increased attention from the opposite sex, but what always motivated me was the desire to keep getting better.

I've tried and failed before when I focused on weight loss as the ultimate goal.

Wow, I guess whatever works for you then.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Wow, I guess whatever works for you then.

I didn't mean to shoot your idea down. It would probably would work better than what I do for most people.

I'm just too ADHD to care about exercising for exercise's sake. I need to be chasing a ball, or surfing, or punching a bag or something.

I had a short 8.2 mile recovery ride today. Averaged 15.4 mph.

Not too bad.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I didn't mean to shoot your idea down. It would probably would work better than what I do for most people.

I'm just too ADHD to care about exercising for exercise's sake. I need to be chasing a ball, or surfing, or punching a bag or something.

I had a short 8.2 mile recovery ride today. Averaged 15.4 mph.

Not too bad.

An ENTJ with ADHD? WTF? Does that even exist? LMAO