• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beefed-up Beefeater

Beorn

Permabanned
Ok, I'm in.

I'm just leaving for an hour long hike on my mountain to think about my goals for the next six months.

This is a big deal for me. I consider myself an athlete, but thanks to injuries, depression, poor diet and lack of motivation I've let myself gain 75 lbs over the last two years.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I'm in.

I'm just leaving for an hour long hike on my mountain to think about my goals for the next six months.

This is a big deal for me. I consider myself an athlete, but thanks to injuries, depression, poor diet and lack of motivation I've let myself gain 75 lbs over the last two years.

Go for it!

You can do it!

Want any advice? Just let me know!

I have a ton, ready to go!

:solidarity:

:pumpyouup:

-Alex

Beorn

Permabanned
Today I did a 1 hour hike on my mountain. I did some back stretches, but I got distracted and took a shower before I got to do any core work or pushups.

Goals

My long-term goal is to run in a 50k trail race in february and lose around 50 lbs in 6 months.

My short term goal is to lose 15 lbs in the next 4 weeks. (that's more than I expect to average over the next six months, but I'm anticipating quite a bit of water weight loss at the beginning... Hopefully no lean muscle loss!)

Additionally, given that I have sciatica I don't want to miss a single day of doing back stretches. I'm hoping the stretches and weight loss will resolve my current back pain issues.

My first priority is my health so I'm willing to change my running goals if my back issues don't clear up in the next couple of months.

Current weight

My morning weight was 271.5 lbs.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Ok, I'm in.

It sounds like something ye could rock, Beef. You're added and all that jazz, and a part of this thing now. :cheers:

Go for it!

You can do it!

Want any advice? Just let me know!

I have a ton, ready to go!

:solidarity:

-Alex

Heyla Alex, good to see you. Please do participate should ye wish. :happy:

Beorn

Permabanned
There's a very good reason why I want to get back into ultra-running shape...

[YOUTUBE="q-1McfEWqnc"].[/YOUTUBE]

Because it's AWESOME!

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:static:

Sometimes, however, this sense of isolation, like acid spilling out of a bottle, can unconsciously eat away at a person’s heart and dissolve it. You could see it, too, as a kind of double-edged sword. It protects me, but at the same time steadily cuts away at me from the inside. I think in my own way I’m aware of this danger— probably through experience— and that’s why I’ve had constantly keep my body in motion, in some cases pushing myself to the limit, in order to heal the loneliness I feel inside and to put it in perspective.

Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

G

Ginkgo

Ok, I'm in.

Don't beef it on the rocks while hiking. :D

G

Ginkgo

Sometimes, however, this sense of isolation, like acid spilling out of a bottle, can unconsciously eat away at a person’s heart and dissolve it. You could see it, too, as a kind of double-edged sword. It protects me, but at the same time steadily cuts away at me from the inside. I think in my own way I’m aware of this danger— probably through experience— and that’s why I’ve had constantly keep my body in motion, in some cases pushing myself to the limit, in order to heal the loneliness I feel inside and to put it in perspective.

Well aren't you a cheerleader? ;)

Beorn

Permabanned

:hug: Thanks for that!

Don't beef it on the rocks while hiking. :D

I'll try not to... But I can't guarantee I won't enjoy some beefeater and tonic while hiking. ;)

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:hug: Thanks for that!

I'll try not to... But I can't guarantee I won't enjoy some beefeater and tonic while hiking. ;)

:yes: For your on the go needs, Russian ingenuity brings you gin&tonik in a can

77.jpg

Beorn

Permabanned
General exercise and nutruition philosophy

This is not a test of will. I've tested my will plenty of times in the past and I'm mostly aware of what I'm capable of doing. Rather, this is about getting in tune with my body to give it what needs to get out of it what I want and to only want what it can give me.

Nutrition goals

1. To post what I eat through out the week so I can keep track and accountable.

2. To focus on eating more veggies and lean proteins.

3. To not eat any fast food. (in a pinch I can order the lowest calorie salad)

4. To not drink more than one beer (or other alcoholic beverage... Even gin and tonic in a can) a week.

5. To take Sundays off as a cheat day to keep my metabolism high, but still record what I eat (may trade with another day if there is some sort of food involved event like thanksgiving)

6. To revamp goals as I make progress and better determine what's best for my body.

Added 9/7

7. No soda ever. Not even on cheat days.

Still not sure what to do about water. Any recommendations about that would be appreciated. I am planning on an increased protein diet. Today I had 10 cups of water, but I was planning on 14 (two 7 cup pitchers of filtered water).

Last edited:

Beorn

Permabanned
Day 1 nutrition

Two pieces of pizza (before I decided to join)
Banana peanut butter protein shake
Vegetable and bean soup made in slow cooker with frozen veggies and canned tri-blend beans
Toast plain
1 edy's all fruit strawberry pop

Day 2 nutrition
(today)

Oatmeal with blue berries and flaxseed
Vegetable and bean soup with croutons (wow croutons can have a lot of calories)
Egg salad ( 4 egg whites 1.5 egg yolks 2 tbs miracle whip .5 tbs of mustard salt and pepper)
Two potato rolls (these high calorie too)
1 glass of oj

This is what I've done without doing some shopping for healthy food. Tomorrow morning I'm going to the store.

Day 2 exercise

1 hour of hiking on my mountain rain be damned.
15 minutes of back stretches and core work as well as some when I was hiking.

My arms are dying to do some pushups (let alone barbell work) but I tried and I just think I need to wait till I weigh less and my core is stronger or else I'll hurt my back more.

Beorn

Permabanned
Exercise day 3

Rested and did a little stretching.

Nutrition day 3

Toast with honey
Toast with jam
Glass of milk
Peanut butter banana protein shake
Oatmeal with blueberries and flaxseed
Egg salad (mostly egg whites with celery and onion) and red lettuce tortilla wrap x2
Banana strawberry protein shake

Exercise day 4

1.5 hour hike
Core work and back stretches

Nutrition day 4
Toast with rhubarb jam x2
Glass of milk
Strawberry banana protein shake
Egg salad lettuce and tortilla wrap x2
Bean burito x2 (filling: tri-blend beans rotel diced tomatoes, mexicorn, olive oil, lemon juice, feta, lettuce)
Strawberry banana protein shake

Beorn

Permabanned
I feel awesome. One week down and I have my cheat day tomorrow. I've already lost about 4 lbs and I'm noticing some improvements in my back pain.

I don't feel too bad about cheating a bit on day four after I posted when my roommate offered me a slice of tollhouse pie. I probably needed the calories albeit from a better source.

Nutrition day 5

Toast with jam
Two bean Dallas burritos
Two chicken salad wraps
Two protein shakes

Exercise day 5

Rest and stretching

Nutrition day 6
Strawberry protein shake
1.5 cups chicken salad
Two bean salad burritos
Plenty of h2o

Exercise day 6

1h15m hike (900 calories burned at my weight)
Stretching and core work 15m (cobras and bird dog)

I'm looking forward to next week. I think I'll try to start walking a short amount each morning so I'm warmed up for a second stretch each day.

Beorn

Permabanned
Time to update

Nutrition week 2

didn't really stay up with my nutrition goals. Sunday was my cheat day, but I felt like I over did it with four pieces of pizza. The rest of the week I typically had 1 large calorie sorta healthy meal like a grilled chicken sub or large vegetarian burrito and barely any calories from just munching on a few things the rest of the day. Not good for my metabolism at all.

Exercise week 2

Through yesterday I did:

40m hike x3
1h hike x2
1h40m hike

Didn't do as much core work but my back is still doing better and better. Today I slept well and did not wake up in utter agony from back pain.

So on the whole things are still improving. I'm down 9 lbs in two weeks.

Beorn

Permabanned
New idea!!!

Obviously after the first week I got tired of writing down all of my meals even though I wasn't even being that specific. So I've decided to try something that I think will be easier. I'm just going to tak a picture of everything I eat and post it here. I won't have any specific rules about what I should or shouldn't eat.