• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beefed-up Beefeater

Beorn

Permabanned
9/21/11

photo1-6.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

I think I need to eat a little more and definately get some more variety. I just got lazy, but I suppose it' better to be lazy and eat this than to be lazy and buy fast food. btw that's curried egg salad with egg whites not scrambled eggs.

Beorn

Permabanned
Starting things back up for another 6 months. I haven't quite decided on long term goals. Right now I just want to do walking, stretching, dumbbell work, and calisthenics 5-6 times a week. I'm also doing a cyclic ketogenic diet.

Getting in calories can be tough on this diet.

I ate a ton, felt full throughout the day, and still only consumed around 1841 calories.

Other nutrition totals:
29g carbs
122g fat
159g protein
9g sugar

I went walking twice for a total of 75 minutes.
After walking I stretched for 15 minutes then did about 20 minutes of dumbbell work.

Deep swimmers press 12 lbs 8x3
Overhead triceps extension 25 lbs 10x3 (felt a little something in the elbow halfway through the last set and dropped it down to 12 lbs)
Lateral raise both arms 12 lbs 8x3 (I locked my elbows when I did this and I wonder if maybe this caused my elbow some issues on the overhead extension)
Incline push-ups 6x3 (Incline is a little easier on my back than regular push-ups)

BIG THANKS to [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] for advice and encouragement.

I'm already feeling the pump.
:pumpyouup:

Last edited:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Starting things back up for another 6 months. I haven't quite decided on long term goals. Right now I just want to do walking, stretching, dumbbell work, and calisthenics 5-6 times a week. I'm also doing a cyclic ketogenic diet.

Getting in calories can be tough on this diet.

I ate a ton, felt full throughout the day, and still only consumed around 1841 calories.

Other nutrition totals:
29g carbs
122g fat
159g protein
9g sugar

I went walking twice for a total of 75 minutes.
After walking I stretched for 15 minutes then did about 20 minutes of dumbbell work.

Deep swimmers press 12 lbs 8x3
Overhead triceps extension 25 lbs 10x3 (felt a little something in the elbow halfway through the last set and dropped it down to 12 lbs)
Lateral raise both arms 12 lbs 8x3 (I locked my elbows when I did this and I wonder if maybe this caused my elbow some issues on the overhead extension)
Incline push-ups 6x3 (Incline is a little easier on my back than regular push-ups)

A plan in MOTION by a man of ACTION!! :rock:

BIG THANKS to Halla74 for advice and encouragement.

I'm already feeling the pump.
:pumpyouup:

You're very welcome, my friend.
More to come ASAP.
I just returned home last night from a two day road trip driving from D.C. -> Atlanta; then Atlanta ->Florida.
Unpacking now and getting re-situated.
Keep up the good work!

:hifive:

-Alex

Beorn

Permabanned
A plan in MOTION by a man of ACTION!! :rock:

You're very welcome, my friend.
More to come ASAP.

Looking forward to it. I've been getting along ok doing random dumbbell exercises, but I need to put together a more coherent plan moving forward.

I've done a little research on ketogenic dieting and with all the different options out there like Atkins, skd, tkd, and ckd. I really think your recommendation for doing the ckd is the best. It was really hard for me to sort through all the different and missing info on the Internet, but I stumbled upon Lyle McDonald and and have learned quite a bit just from a few Internet articles. I'm glad I have Halla to steer me on the right track before I even started looking into dieting.

I just returned home last night from a two day road trip driving from D.C. -> Atlanta; then Atlanta ->Florida.
Unpacking now and getting re-situated.
Keep up the good work!

:hifive:

-Alex

Awesome! Glad you had a great trip.

Beorn

Permabanned
My weekend went well. Burned about 500 calories on lifting and walking. Calorie intake has been increasing everyday. 1800 Saturday and 2350 Sunday. I was having a hard time reaching 66% of calories from fat, but despite that I'm pretty sure I'm in ketosis. I've learned it's pretty difficult to try and get the right nutrition as your moving throughout the day. For instance yesterday I was low on fat and high on protein (goal 185g, actual 216g). So instead of recording as I go along I'm planning and entering all my meals the night before.

Today my meals totals are:

Calories 2742
Protein 182
Fat 199
Carbs 25

Oh, and I've saved the best news for last.

Over the last four days I've dropped 6 pounds from 265 lbs to 259 lbs.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, water weight. I know. It still feels good to be a bit lighter on my toes and know I'm not losing muscle mass.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, and I've saved the best news for last.

Over the last four days I've dropped 6 pounds from 265 lbs to 259 lbs.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, water weight. I know. It still feels good to be a bit lighter on my toes and know I'm not losing muscle mass.

THIS!!!! :rock:

Isn't it great?

I mean seriously, you get to eat foods that are good tasting AND satiating - yet still lose weight, and preserve your muscle mass too.

Sounds like a good deal to me! :pumpyouup:

:solidarity:

-Alex

P.S. A friend of mine steered me into checking out the CKD program, because in his experience, bodybuilders/weightlifters/athletes/etc. "go flat" w/o a 2-day carb load in the midst of 5 days of straight ketosis. So, you can end up with really big guys, who have alot of muscle mass, that look "deflated" and not "rippped" because they didn't eat carbs for 2 of 7 days in a week. Not a good deal, IMHO. All that training and hard work, there needs to be a payoff somewhere, and if the payoff is chocolate chip cookies and whole milk on the weekends, I'm good with that. :biggrin:

Beorn

Permabanned
THIS!!!! :rock:

Isn't it great?

I mean seriously, you get to eat foods that are good tasting AND satiating - yet still lose weight, and preserve your muscle mass too.

Sounds like a good deal to me! :pumpyouup:

:solidarity:

-Alex

It is a pretty good deal. I do enjoy my eggs, cheese and bacon every morning. The appetite suppression is clutch. To be honest though some of the joy has gone from eating. Getting in all the calories necessary becomes a bit of a chore once the appetite has gone. This isn't all bad as it has opened up new eating experiences for me. Before, I would never eat Brussel sprouts, but now that my appetite is suppressed I find myself willing to eat it because eating isn't an emotional experience, but simply a necessary refueling of the body. With CKD though, one should be able to have those more soulful experiences with food every week.

That said, I'm thinking right now I'll stay in ketosis for another week or two just to make sure my body is fully engaged. Also, I want to get a little further along in weight loss before risking falling off the wagon with a carb-up. Meal planning and calorie counting should also help prevent that.

P.S. A friend of mine steered me into checking out the CKD program, because in his experience, bodybuilders/weightlifters/athletes/etc. "go flat" w/o a 2-day carb load in the midst of 5 days of straight ketosis. So, you can end up with really big guys, who have alot of muscle mass, that look "deflated" and not "rippped" because they didn't eat carbs for 2 of 7 days in a week. Not a good deal, IMHO. All that training and hard work, there needs to be a payoff somewhere, and if the payoff is chocolate chip cookies and whole milk on the weekends, I'm good with that. :biggrin:

Yeah, once I get in the swing of things it should be great. I haven't looked at exactly what carbs I should be taking in, but I froze some homemade brownilangue night before I started the diet and am looking forward to enjoying them.

Beorn

Permabanned
I did some tweaking and my Monday result was:

2777 calories
206g fat
29 g carbs
173 g protein

I know roughly what 'm eating tomorrow. I'll fill in my calorie counting ap after breakfast.

Just walked today. I needed it. Have a big tendency to overtrain and I want to develop sustainable habits and plans.

My previous guesses at calories burned are probably off as I don't think my calorie ap is accurately taking my weight into consideration.

Walking on average burns .75 kcal per pound per mile. So my short 1.5 mile route should be 292.5 calories burned. My 2 mile route would be 390 burned. The calorie ap was only giving me credit for 200 calories.

In related news I might be looking for a new calorie counting ap.

Very tired and worn out today, but still very optimistic about this.

Beorn

Permabanned
Hmmm... Just realized I might be under on protein intake.

185g is appropriate for 1 g per pound of lean body mass.

I originally got that advice from Skd source which has been helpful, but I don't think it accounts for lifting. In which case I should either do 1 g per lb of total body weight which would be 260 or 1.5g per lb of lean body mass. Which would be close to the same at 275g.

I'll have to sleep on it.

Beorn

Permabanned
I tried fasted cardio this morning by walking before I ate breakfast. It made me feel slightly nauseous. I'm still acclimating to ketosis so I'll try it again next week and see how it goes.

I took the last two days off of weights. I'm gonna go another 3 days of weights for a shorter duration. Maybe only 15 or 20 minutes. Then see if I can get only one day of rest and start a short-term 3-1 temporary schedule of training. Once I'm done with acclimating to ketosis in two weeks I'll switch to a full week workout plan to take advantage of the weekly refeeds and carb-ups in cyclic ketogenic diet. Probably Will look like 3 days on different muscle groups, One day rest, One day full body depletion (carb-up starting afterword), then two day rest (probably lots of walking on second day to burn carbs and smoothly get back into ketosis).

Anyway, I have two weeks to figure it out and get input from Halla and others.

Yesterday's numbers:

Calories 2370

Protein 193
Fat 161
Carbs 30

Protein intake was ok, but I want to try to shoot for more and also hit 3000 calories. I'm still losing weight and down 8 lbs after only a week, but I don't want my metabolism to slow down or start burning lean body mass.

Beorn

Permabanned
Mmmm... Carbs.

I changed plans. I rested yesterday as well and was growing a bit tired of protein and fat so I decided to go right into the longer term ckd/workout plan with a full body depletion workout and then carb load tonight and tomorrow. It feels great to feel so worn out and enjoy a big bowl of pasta. Looking forward to the oatmeal tomorrow morning instead of eggs, bacon, and cheese. Oh yeah, I can't wait for a nice beer tomorrow night to cap off the carb load. I'll get right back into ketosis and try to do extra cardio on Sunday.

Gained a half pound today. I really think my metabolism was slowing down as there were other signs I won't discuss. Hopefully this carb load will help jolt my metabolism. Tomorrow I'm shooting for 3500 calories. Should be easier with carbs allowed.

Icing my Hamstring right now. It was super tight. I'm only just realizing how much my tight hamstrings led to my sciatica. I was spending many hours running every week and never stretched them. Partly out of laziness and partly because a local running legend and phenominal podiatrist advocated for tight hamstrings. The argument was basically that hamstrings act like springs when you run and the tighter they are the more spring you get and the faster you go. That may be true, but I've learned the injury risks aren't worth the extra speed.

The good news is that this gives me more hope for significant pain relief once my muscles and tendons are more loose.

I'll post my workout plan for next week over the weekend.

Beorn

Permabanned
I kept things up this week.

Mon- biceps/ some back
Tue- shoulders/ some legs
Wed- triceps/ some back
Fri- full body depletion

As my core gets stronger I'm finding it easier to do certain chest and back exercises, but still pretty limited with the sciatica.

Overall the sciatica is getting better and I definately don't think my workouts are having a negative effect on it.

I'm not being very meticulous about keeping track of calories or exercise right now, but that's mostly because I think for now I can get the results I want without be meticulous. That will change eventually, but for now I'm just focused on doing.

Beorn

Permabanned
RUNNING AGAIN!!!!!
:):D:happy2::yay:

And to commemorate it I had a brand new running experience. I've come across deer, rabbits and snakes on the trail, but this was the first time I've come across a pair of 20" trout in a stream. It was pretty cool.