• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random harbours healthy habits

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds exciting! And motivating!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sea kayaking... seal sanctuaries... =O

ZOMG that sounds awesome! :happy2:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I'm excited for this trip like I haven't been excited for anything in a loooong time. I've been anticipating it for a good 2 years, too (since the conference location was announced) since I've always wanted to visit BC. Should be awesome. So much naturey shit there. :happy2:

----

Splits routine notes for today: I tried out this one pretty much verbatim - http://antranik.org/antraniks-splits-routine/

I will have to modify it, though. Mainly, it feels way too long and boring. (took ~40-50 min and I want something more like 20 min including warmup....some of that was just learning the routine, though)

1) 7 min warmup with sun salutations yoga stuff was ok. I followed his suggested video. I found it a bit rushed though, maybe just because I hadn't done it before.

2) stretching:
a)leg swings....meh, ok. I guess this is good warmup/mild stretching, I don't think I need to do 20 per leg times 3 kinds of leg swing though. Maybe I'll cut it down to 10, or even 5.
b) standing splits was a pretty decent hamstring stretch. I did it along with him for the video (~1 min per leg)
c) pigeon pose was a good hip stretch. I didn't have a timer so I held it for 15 breaths for each side. I'm not sure how many seconds that would be, maybe 30-60?
d) couch stretch - augh this was painful. Apparently it's supposed to be stretching the anterior hip but I felt it mainly in my quads. Apparently those are tighter than they should be, which is surprising. I guess that means stretching is good. I did 15 breaths/low pose and 15 breaths/high pose, per leg. Maybe shorter is ok.

3) splits:
a) 2 min hold of middle splits - these were OK. I tried and failed to take a photo, my room is just too cramped for that (my floor space is about the size and shape of two yoga mats arranged in an L shape). I can get to 21" off the ground.
b) 2 min hold of front splits, per leg (following the video) - again I didn't have a timer handy so I held it for 15 breaths instead, it got pretty painful so I may have been overdoing it. Not sure how to track progress here. Distance between front heel and back knee? I dunno.
c) 20 sit up to straddles - I thought these were kinda dumb and unhelpful, plus hard to fit into my floor space. I'm dropping these.
d) 2 min pancake split - used a timer this time. It was ok I guess, nothing handy to pull against though, so it's hard to avoid bad back rounding. also a bit cramped in my floor space.

------

So for tomorrow (since I'll do it after my bodyweight routine) I can skip the warmup, then maybe a shortened version:

1) stretching (~8 min):
a) 5 leg swings/leg (x front, back, and side) (~2 min)
b) standing splits (~2 min)
c) pigeon pose 15 breaths/side (~2 min?)
d) couch stretch 15 breaths/leg, moving from low pose to high pose halfway through (~2 min?)

2) splits (~8 min):
a) 2 min hold of middle splits
b) 2 min hold of front splits, per leg
c) 2 min pancake split

Will see how that goes. It seems like a good length on its own (guessing ~25 min including warmup) but a little long when added to my bodyweight stuff. I'll see how long it actually takes tomorrow (and how long it feels).

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
side note: Unlike last week, I haven't been sore from the bodyweight stuff this week at all, although my hamstrings are a bit twingey from the stretching yesterday. It's amazing how fast your body gets used to exercise and stops being sore. Not sure if that means I should be working harder - it's still pretty hard to get through the workout so I don't think I'm slacking too much, although I might up the difficulty for a few exercises next week.

It's been a while, so an updated review of my current routine:

1) 5 min warmup - have been doing a basic youtube warmup, replacing some of it with some sports-specific exercises and silly dancing. Reasonably happy with that.

2) 20 bodyweight (prisoner) squats - I've been varying foot stance because every source has a different opinion on how wide they should be. It's hard on my hip flexors with a wide stance, and more in the knees/quads? with a narrower stance. Still struggling a bit on form - my depth is fine and my knees are fine, but I still have a tendency to round out my lower back, and my centre of balance is too far backwards if my knees are where they should be, so I don't feel very stable. Maybe I need to lean forward more - I've been trying hard to keep my chest up, but maybe that's making me too upright. I guess I should try videotaping myself again and see how it looks, because it is really hard to tell while I'm doing it (and looking down is bad form anyway). I'm also finding it nearly impossible to keep my core/glutes tight like I'm apparently supposed to - I can do it when I'm standing still, but I don't really know how to keep it tense while moving. So I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the lack of progress here - they aren't any easier to do now than when I started, and I'm still doing 20. I wanted to get the form better before adding weight but I'm not sure it's actually improving. Maybe I'm just being too much of a perfectionist, I dunno. I'm hoping the hip/hamstring stretches I'm starting this week will help with the lower back rounding problem, anyway.

3) pushups - I've been at consistently 10 for a few weeks now, which is pretty awesome for me. I haven't tried to go higher yet because I didn't want to be totally wiped out when doing the tricep pushups, but that might change in the next few weeks.

4) bulgarian split squats - I really like these. Unlike the squats I don't feel like I'm straining anything that shouldn't be strained, and it's a real workout. I'm at 10 per leg over the past few weeks, although it's still very difficult - balance is particularly hard. I'd like to be a bit less wobbly before adding weights, but that will hopefully be soon. Maybe next week.

5) tricep pushups - still very difficult, I've been going to failure and then continuing to failure on my knees, with a goal of 10 tricep pushups eventually. Currently at 2 real + 7 knee pushups.

6) lunges 20 - no real progress here, I should probably add weights soon. I haven't yet because I really struggled with them last week after skipping Sun, but they felt better this week. Will think about adding some weight for next week, if this week goes well.

7) dumbbell bent-over rows (20 lbs) - I'm still having occasional elbow problems here, mostly just straightening out the joint is a problem. If I get my ankle checked out I'll ask about the elbow too. I can do about 10 reps on the right side but elbow gets too painful after 6-7 reps on the left. Not really sure what to do here, maybe move down to a lower weight until the pain stops?

8) plank 15 breaths (~45 sec?) - this one is frustrating because it really isn't improving at all. It gets very difficult after ~5 breaths, and is nearly impossible by 10. The last few are consistently a huge mental effort to achieve. Maybe it'd help if I worked on strength as well as endurance? I've always been really shitty at anything endurance related - very much a sprinter in build/mentality/physiology.

It usually takes me about 30 min including the warmup, so I don't want to add much onto it and risk being tempted to skip the whole thing. I'm thinking that slowly increasing the difficulty of the main exercises is the best way to go. Maybe I could keep a "core workout" routine that's mandatory and add a few exercises for the more energetic days, though. And of course I'll be adding the stretching this week (~15-20 min more) so we'll see how that goes. :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
8) plank 15 breaths (~45 sec?) - this one is frustrating because it really isn't improving at all. It gets very difficult after ~5 breaths, and is nearly impossible by 10. The last few are consistently a huge mental effort to achieve. Maybe it'd help if I worked on strength as well as endurance? I've always been really shitty at anything endurance related - very much a sprinter in build/mentality/physiology.

Strength definitely.

I've never been able to find anything to make these easier except consistent hard work as you need to build strength in you chest, arms, back, glutes and legs, I hate them! But watching the time build up on how long you can do them as your other strength work kicks in is awesome.

I think the saying goes you'll see the results of the workouts you did two weeks ago, so with time on strength work they will improve.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
side note: Unlike last week, I haven't been sore from the bodyweight stuff this week at all, although my hamstrings are a bit twingey from the stretching yesterday. It's amazing how fast your body gets used to exercise and stops being sore. Not sure if that means I should be working harder - it's still pretty hard to get through the workout so I don't think I'm slacking too much, although I might up the difficulty for a few exercises next week.

That's delayed onset muscle soreness, or DOMS. It's pretty common during the first week of exercising, as your muscles don't handle the new exercises very well. After the first week, some mild soreness is common but the extreme soreness usually goes away. If you don't feel sore AT ALL, then it might be a sign to gradually increase the intensity / difficulty.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first time doing bodyweight+stretches went OK, although still longer than I'd prefer at about 45 min. Again, some o that time was spent getting into the right positions etc, so it might speed up slightly, to ~40 min. My hip flexors and hamstrings are pretty sore today, probably from the splits stretching. I noticed that I could go a bit further on the stretches than I could the first day, probably because I was considerably more warmed up (sweating like crazy) and the squats and lunges beforehand probably helped too. The actual splits depth was the same though, not that I'd expect any improvement after 1 day of stretching anyway, lol. I'm hoping that the hamstring and hip stretching will help me improve the form on my squats, and perhaps even help with my ankle problems, although that's more of a long shot.

I tried videotaping last night but it didn't go super well - there isn't really anywhere I can stick my phone to get a good vantage point of the exercises, and I have to move around a bit to have enough space and didn't want to fiddle with the camera. I mostly just caught the upper portions of the squats and a few other exercises, and missed others entirely. I'll try putting the camera lower next time and hopefully catch the bottom end of my squats, which is the main thing I'm interested in. The form for the other exercises is all pretty straightforward.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I played soccer for an hour tonight and was rolling my ankles all over the place - not sure why other than being tired (a bit sleep deprived and also running very hard and not being in great shape these days). I also played on Thurs and was totally fine after, including the sketchy ankle (!!). I'm really really hoping my ankles feel ok tomorrow. They don't hurt now but they feel a bit...tweaky. I have vball tomorrow and Tues so I'm really hoping they aren't injured enough that vball will aggravate them (or worse, not be able to play). I also went out to a club on Sat night for a friend's birthday (hence the sleep deprivation) and danced a lot more than I was expecting to, in heels, so my feet are pretty wrecked from that too.

I just got home about 20 mins ago and immediately did my bodyweight routine cause I'm totally on the ball like that (huge bonus, i got to skip warmup which is my least favourite part by far). Definitely shakier than usual but I got through it.

I will definitely sleep well tonight.... :hifive:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oops, I was so busy being self-congratulatory that I completely forgot about my stretching routine. Oh well, I'll do it the next 4 days of the week, anyway. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got bored of tracking food for awhile and stopped, but felt like it yesterday and today. I'm trying to keep track for whole days only, and should probably keep track of whether it's a weekend or weekday since my eating habits change dramatically.

I'm pretty reluctant to start counting calories despite the obvious helpfulness of it, but I might start aiming for macro percentages to start off with. What to aim for is a difficult question since different sources vary wildly. Government recommends carb 45 – 65 %; protein 10 – 35 %; fat 20 – 35 % of total calories. In the fitness field, low carb is obviously pretty popular now, with the difference made up by differing levels of fat/protein depending who you ask. It looks like a lot of people are doing 40-30-30 CPF, which seems pretty well balanced. This is one article I found helpful, although who knows how much it's actually supported by science. It seems like higher carb is better for building muscle (bulking) and lower carb is better for losing fat (cutting). A moderate "maintenance" amount seems most reasonable for me. They also claim "moderate carbs" (20-50%) are best for mesomorphs, which I'm pretty sure I am, and that lower carbs are better for women, which I'm also pretty sure I am.

I'm a little hesitant to go super high on the protein because it's hard on the kidneys, and I'm not convinced that I need massive amounts of protein anyway since I'm not going to be building very much muscle volume. I've seen more scientific evidence that high levels of protein are harmful than the opposite, although I'm sure both are out there.

All that to say, I'm gonna be safe and aim for moderate amounts, at least for now - I'm thinking 50-20-30 CPF. I might push that to 45-25-30 later, but I'd rather transition slowly and see how I feel in a few weeks. When I was tracking before I was around 55-20-25 CPF, give or take 5-10% in every direction depending on the day. I think I was trying harder than usual those days to eat a lot of protein, though - I suspect I'm down around 10% or less protein more days than I'd like. It probably doesn't matter that much unless it's really extreme in some direction anyway. Just interesting to know, if I'm keeping track of foods anyway.

Calorie-wise I seem to be eating 1800-2000, at least for the days I tracked, which sounds reasonable to me. That's probably pretty close to my maintenance level at my current activity level, since my weight's been very stable for months or longer. In the past few days I've been about 5 lbs lighter, but I'm not sure if that's real - might just be my crappy scale or those "monthly" variations. I'm not really attempting to lose weight anyway, although it'd be nice to get back to the size I was in my early 20s, which is about 5-10 lbs less than my current weight (assuming no radical changes in muscle vs. fat %).

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I subbed for soccer tonight for 2 back to back games (2h total), and messed up my ankles pretty good. I think just wear and tear rather than anything specific - soccer's so hard on ankles, with all the pivoting and pushing off. I iced them for awhile tonight and took some ibuprofen, and hopefully they won't be too bad tomorrow. Also picked up a truly impressive blister on my heel since apparently I'm not used to running in cleats anymore, and my quads are already sore so they're gonna hurt tomorrow. It was really dumb to play 2 game when I'm not playing soccer regularly, but I couldn't really come for just one game since the team was playing a double-header. Hopefully I won't have to skip volleyball this week because of it.

I do still want to get a bodyweight routine done tonight, but I'm going to take it easy and avoid anything that stresses the ankles too much. I might skip all the squats entirely. I'll see how it goes. Just want to make sure I'm not in danger of falling off track as far as habit-forming goes, since I skipped the last workout.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm really struggling with this stupid protein powder stuff. It's so gross. How is it so popular?! I first bought some chocolate stuff at the bulk food store because hey why not try it, but neglected to read the label and apparently it has a crapload of trans fats 4g/100g for some bizarre reason, which sketches me out even though I'm not eating remotely close to 100g of powder in a day. Which brings me back to:

Holy crap this stuff is disgusting. I can only tolerate it at way lower doses than their "serving" of ~40g for a shake. I haven't been brave enough to try it with just milk/water, but I've tried it:

-chocolate powder in yogurt, chalky but edible at low doses (I didn't write it down but I think it was about 9g in ~1/2 cup yogurt). Added a bit more for my lunch today (18g/138g greek yogurt) and holy shit that stuff is nasty. I am eating it anyway because that stupid greek yogurt was expensive but ugh.

-vanilla powder in green smoothies a few times (a bunch of baby spinach + a banana + milk, once some frozen raspberries too), and it tastes a bit weird but not terrible (like the yogurt, kinda like those chewable vitamins). I've purposely avoided making the smoothies without the protein powder because it's probably so much more delicious that I won't be able to go back.

-chocolate powder in hot chocolate - another round of holy shit this stuff is nasty. I don't know what went wrong, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe you aren't supposed to heat it up. It went all gross and chunky, and tasted worse. I drank it anyway because I'm stubborn. Not repeating that one.

I haven't tried the chocolate powder in the smoothies or the vanilla powder in the yogurt so I'm not sure if the difference is the powder or the preparation, or both. The main problem (for both flavours) is that it's sickly sweet on its own so I can either counter that with something sour like the yogurt or add it to something that's "supposed" to be sweet like the banana smoothie but either way the sweetness is really offputting and there's a really gross aftertaste.

I foolishly didn't really research it beforehand, just impulse bought what was easily available (for the chocolate) and on sale (the vanilla). If I buy this crap again I'm definitely going to see if I can find a less disgusting brand. They're probably all not great but there must be some better ones out there. I think the sucralose is a major factor - I foolishly didn't read the label and I didn't realize that gross fake sweeteners are in almost every tub unless they specifically advertise that they aren't, and that stuff is disgusting on its own, so I'm sure it doesn't improve anything. I know (now) that there are nonsweetened versions out there so if I buy it again I'll go for that. Just...ugh.

I could try baking with it maybe, but that sounds like a recipe (heh) for disaster, plus kinda self-defeating since baked goods are generally unhealthy and the 'healthy" versions of them tend to be gross as well as not that healthy anyway. I don't know. I guess I'll keep doing the smoothies but it'll take a long time to use up a kilo of the vanilla at ~35g each time, especially when it's not a daily thing. But I'll use this stuff up somehow, so help me god...

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Note to self: re-read this before the next all-you-can-eat sushi expedition. :doh:

Results of overeating a fairly staggering amount at lunch:

1) Pain, nausea (~2h)
2) Discomfort, "food coma", headache, brain fog (~4h)
3) No energy, still headache, feel bored/foggy/unhappy, struggled to get through workout, didn't eat anything (all night, ~12h)
4) No appetite/desire to eat, although I've been eating a bit anyway (next day, ~24h)

I used to be really "good" (heh) at overeating massive amounts of food, regularly shocking everyone by thoroughly surpassing my tall guy friends, but either my stomach's shrunk from not doing that recently, or I did a bad job of remembering my limit. And of course we were a big group and overordered, so we had to choke down the last few to avoid getting charged. It was also lunch so no sashimi available, so the rice in all the rolls hit me pretty hard (usually I do ~half sashimi and a bunch of seaweed/edamame, ie. much less rice).

Delicious and I'm somehow already looking forward to my next visit, but I really need to remember to eat slowly (I'm a crazy fast eater) and stop well before the discomfort level, let alone the pain level. That was really dumb.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
but neglected to read the label and apparently it has a crapload of trans fats 4g/100g

Disturbing, very disturbing. I am weirded out that something that would be marketed to gym junkies and the health conscious would have any trans fat.

I have a couple of different ones I use, the main one is actually a meal replacement protein shake with a whole heap of vitamins and minerals with the main ingredient being pea protein, I like it fine, it's certainly not disgusting. There are nice ones out there, promise, read some user reviews on whatever is available to you locally is my suggestion.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm getting really frustrated because I keep getting injured/sick and it's stopping me from exercising the way I want to. Ex: my stupid ankle hurts when I run, my left elbow hurts when I lift weights, my knees keep hurting from squats done correctly goddamit, and now for the past few weeks my shoulder is hurting for some reason and I'm not sure if I should be stopping volleyball AND pushups/planks/basically all my upper body stuff until it stops?!

I asked the doctor (well, NP) about this last fall, when the painful joints were ankle/wrist/thumb, and she basically laughed at me like "no there's nothing globally wrong with your joints, that's ridiculous, you're just overdoing it and spraining everything from your sports, just rest for awhile". I made the mistake of telling her I played sports 3 nights a week which apparently sounds crazy to some people, but seriously volleyball is not really active at all, it's about as much energy as playing pool 3 nights a week. I haven't played soccer regularly for 3/4 of a year and when I try to play a game it hurts again. I've been avoiding it, but physio time, I guess.

I actually have a doctor's appointment this afternoon for a regular physical so I'm planning to ask him about it, even though I know he's just going to say the same thing. They tell you to stay active and then when the activity hurts they say to rest it. How am I supposed to stay active when something always hurts and there's apparently nothing that will fix it except "rest"? Ugh.

I guess if this guy blows me off too, I will have to go to physio and suck it up with the cost. In theory if it actually helps, it should be worth it in the end. And I guess I'm saving money on sports teams at the moment, heh.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ugh, apparently "the physical is only for preventative" and I need to book a separate appointment to discuss joint stuff. With the same doctor, just a different day that I have to take time off work for, again. So stupid. At least I can usually get an appointment within a few days.

And of course I forgot to get a prescription renewal also AND to ask for the stupid HPV vaccine which I've been meaning to get for years, so I guess I have to return to him anyway.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm getting kinda bored with my cobbled together bodyweight routine, even though I picked everything myself and keep changing it up. I'm gonna try switching to this bodyweight routine and see how I like that.

Reporting in for the first day of the new routine (yesterday): not bad. It took about an hour to get through but a lot of that was spent figuring out the exercises and seeing if/how I want to modify them. Yeah, I'm addicted to "optimizing" aka messing with things that work perfectly well already. Mostly it's fine except my wrists are in pretty bad shape apparently and interfere with quite a few things, plus I have crappy shoulder mobility, plus my ankle and shoulder injuries/whatever they are. Stupid injuries - I have a really hard time telling when I should be pushing myself vs. holding back to avoid injury, apparently. Or I just have crappy weak joints. :dry:

Resulting routine:

-didn't mess with the first set of warmups (although I didn't feel very "warmed up" at the end)

-warmup core exercises were also fine, if on the (very) low end of the recommended 10-60s.

-handstand practice (5 min suggested): quickly figured out that I need to improve my wrist and shoulder strength and mobility a lot for this to work without wrecking myself. plan to replace it for awhile with a few exercises towards this goal.

-60-second L-sit: my wrists were killing me pretty quickly on this. I ended up doing 3 reps of ~5 breaths long. Not particularly impressive, but I suppose that leaves a lot of room for improvement. :)

-pushups are straightforward enough, except with my current wrist/shoulder issues I've downgraded to wall pushups until they get a bit less painful. I might try incline or knee pushups on Thurs. 3 reps instead of my usual 1. OK.

-tried doing rows/fake pullups on my computer desk. It's uhhh...not optimal. But if I'm cautious I think it'll do for the time being. There's really nowhere I can install a pullup bar, even the kind without nails. My doorways are weird.

-squats are fine, I just have trouble with my balance at the bottom as always (falling backward unless I have my knees way too far forward). Holding my arms in front helps. I really don't know how to fix it otherwise, I mean doesn't it make sense that if you're squatting back without moving your knees (too far) forward, you're messing up your centre of balance? And knees too far over toes is bad, or so the internet+feedback from my knees tells me. Again, 3 reps instead of my usual one, a bit tedious but OK.

the end.

Overall it seems pretty reasonable and balanced to me. If it stays much longer than 30 min I'll cut it down a bit. I'm moderately sore all over today, and very sore in shoulders/upper back. Makes sense, since I'm really weak there to start off with and these exercises also hit them more than my previous routine did. I'll have to be careful not to push my "injured" (aka hurting for no reason for the last few months) shoulder too far, though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting -- good feedback. Was wanting to try some of that out tonight after work. Thanks for the review!

p.s. What inspired you to start with protein powder? Were you not eating the recommended amount (which I think is 50-70g, for our weight and height*)?

*Body twins :solidarity:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting -- good feedback. Was wanting to try some of that out tonight after work. Thanks for the review!

p.s. What inspired you to start with protein powder? Were you not eating the recommended amount (which I think is 50-70g, for our weight and height*)?

*Body twins :solidarity:

The recommended amount varies wildly depending on who you ask, and it's hard to tell who's the most reliable/trustworthy. The Canadian gov says to stay between 10-35% of calories coming from protein, whereas most fitness resources online tell you to eat way more than that. I was aiming for 100g for awhile (mostly because it's a nice round number) which would have been roughly 20-25%. Over 4 weeks of tracking I averaged maybe 70. I don't really eat a lot of high-protein food that isn't also high in fat and therefore calories, so I thought the protein powder would help, but I'm not really a fan. If I start doing smoothies again I can throw some in, I guess.