• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge & Soirée

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I'm going to follow this thread, but not enter. I do basic cardio like 5x a week, and this will probably encourage me to be consistent. But mine is primarily centered around weight loss, and I've been told that weight loss is about 80% diet. Maybe we need a healthy eating thread to keep me from eating super high carb meals, Lol. Patches is too tubby.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Hey, that's what I was going to suggest! Before and after pics if you're brave. And if you want to remain anonymous, you could just post before & after pics from the neck down in your workout clothes or something like that.

Also, I have a question. Would this be a good thread to post diet and meal ideas and suggestions? It would, right?

Cuz I was thinking of posting some of the low carb meals I eat when I want to lose weight, that work for me. And it isn't easy for me to lose weight, so if it works for me, it will probably work for almost anyone....

Edit: Haha, I posted this before I saw Patches' post and after seeing Udog's, looks like I caught her brainwaves, too....

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay everyone, I'm going to THROW DOWN THE GAUNTLET. It's so serious that the seriousness can only be conveyed in ALL CAPS. That's SERIOUS. Seriously.

I'm going to take before pictures.
At the end of six months, I'm going to take after pictures.

I will post these before and after pictures in the lounge no matter what. Even if I gain 5 pounds, I will be obligated to post the before and after pictures. Every time I feel like slacking too much, I will remember this challenge and use it to stay on track.

Is there anyone else that is a bad enough dude to save the president join me?

Wow, that is serious. I may do it... The big question is.. what are we going to wear in the before pictures? Are we talking spandex?

V

violaine

I think I'm in too. I have to think up some goals - most likely related to strength and flexibility. I want to be able to do some of the difficult yoga poses that I find impossible to do now. Maybe fiddling around with body proportions as well. And optimizing my diet.

(There will be two weeks in Sept in which I won't be able to do anything but walking though.)

V

violaine

Okay everyone, I'm going to THROW DOWN THE GAUNTLET. It's so serious that the seriousness can only be conveyed in ALL CAPS. That's SERIOUS. Seriously.

I will post these before and after pictures in the lounge no matter what. Even if I gain 5 pounds, I will be obligated to post the before and after pictures. Every time I feel like slacking too much, I will remember this challenge and use it to stay on track.

Wow, that is serious. I may do it... The big question is.. what are we going to wear in the before pictures? Are we talking spandex?

Spandex or not lads, just don't forget to pose with the obligatory dated newspaper... And if you are in a library in those pics when it comes time for the big reveal, we'll know you cheated! :azdaja: (I think it could be overlooked if you are in a library in spandex though.)

-----
I also need a fun goal. It will be that I want to go up or down a hat size, depending on how I'm feeling about whether I want big hair or not.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I'm in. Let me work out my goals. It's going to be difficult for mwah, as I have to work around my work schedule, and my study schedule (excitement, turns out I might be able to start my course in November, instead of Feb!!!!), but totally in.

U dog,
If you do pose for before and after, I will too! Not in spandex though.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For those that are curious, the last contest lost 10% of its participants by their 4th week, and 20% by their 9th week. Everyone that made it past the 3rd month went on to participate to the end.

Also, not a single person who listed a goal of 5x a week or greater made it to the end.

Maybe we need a healthy eating thread to keep me from eating super high carb meals, Lol. Patches is too tubby.

Also, I have a question. Would this be a good thread to post diet and meal ideas and suggestions? It would, right?

Last time we threw diet ideas in with the challenge as well, and it worked out well. The down side was that it makes for a horrible reference thread if you want to go back and find recipes, especially as the thread hits 1,000+ posts. A dedicated thread *might* be better for recipes because of that.

Hey, that's what I was going to suggest! Before and after pics if you're brave. And if you want to remain anonymous, you could just post before & after pics from the neck down in your workout clothes or something like that.

Okay, I'm in. Let me work out my goals. It's going to be difficult for mwah, as I have to work around my work schedule, and my study schedule (excitement, turns out I might be able to start my course in November, instead of Feb!!!!), but totally in.

U dog,
If you do pose for before and after, I will too! Not in spandex though.

Haha, I wouldn’t dare post pictures of me in spandex. I fear that I would get Haight banned from his hosting service.

Here’s what I’m planning on personally doing:

1. Take 4 pictures before the contest, two from the front and two from a side profile. I plan on wearing shorts and being shirtful in one set, and shirtless in the other. I’ll keep both sets to myself during the contest.

2. Take 4 more pictures at the end, in the same way as before.

3. Look at the pictures and figure out which set I want to share with the forums. That’ll certainly involve how much weight I end up losing and how far removed I am from my horrible, horrible body dismorphia.

I actually have an idea to up the ante even further if anyone is interested. It would involve creating a thread in The Lounge afterward for us to post the before/after pics...

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5

IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.. maybe :blush:
I'm going to follow this thread, but not enter. I do basic cardio like 5x a week, and this will probably encourage me to be consistent. But mine is primarily centered around weight loss, and I've been told that weight loss is about 80% diet. Maybe we need a healthy eating thread to keep me from eating super high carb meals, Lol. Patches is too tubby.
Hm yea was definitely thinking of a food-related thread. I know there was one that circulated previously, but it wasn't a challenge, and I'm not sure if the tracking aspect was even intentional.
Maybe something along the same vein in a secondary thread would be good? Personalized goals and all :huh:.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Last time we threw diet ideas in with the challenge as well, and it worked out well. The down side was that it makes for a horrible reference thread if you want to go back and find recipes, especially as the thread hits 1,000+ posts. A dedicated thread *might* be better for recipes because of that.

Hm, good point. I vote for a separate Healthy Eating thread, and I vote that we link the two threads to each other in the opening post of each, so that makes it easy to find one when you're in the other.

That is, if [MENTION=6276]Zoom[/MENTION] would be obliged to edit the link to the Healthy Eating thread into the OP of this thread, once the Healthy Eating thread is created?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
...I've been told that weight loss is about 80% diet.

What hater told you that????

:sigh:

This is my downfall. Exercise is not hard for me, I enjoy it. But, sticking to a diet. Arrrgh.

Also, not sure if I can post whole body pics up, I think I would die of embarassment. I can make a stick figure approximation though.

Also, I'm gonna do another hydrostratic assessment in about 3 months with my friend who is trying to get cut. So I can post those 'starting' and 'finish' results instead for verifiable stats. :p

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My goal is to get more upper body strength, and increase my stamina.

The plan:
- 2x a week keep up with the cardio. Hopefully I'll find more time for this.
- 2x a week hit the gym for at least an hour of circuit training on weights
- 2x a week engage in my workout DVD
- 2x a week spend at least 30 minutes stretching after a workout.

So two of those activities, paired together, four days a week, for a total of an hour and some change a day. While the workouts themselves will get challenging... :c the real challenge for me will be to keep up with it. We'll see how I do. I'm aiming for Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings or mornings.

Good luck everyone!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]: What about operation Laura Croft? Is that still on?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay.. I'm in for pics, I'll take some soon, maybe this weekend. As for the Healthy Eating Challenge.. well, the idea gives me mental anguish. I can do exercise, or I can tightly control my food intake.. but I don't know if I can do both. I suppose I may as well give it a go, I'm just going to maybe set some reasonable goals.

wolfy

awsm
I'll do it. I need to think of some interesting goals though. I think it'd probably be interesting if it was ab related and I needed to post pics.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I'll give this a try. We'll see how long I last during Ren Fest season, but I can try!

Here are my goals:

-Weight training at the gym 2x/week
-At least 30 minutes of cardio 3x/week (usually two of those times will be on gym days)
-Walk 3 miles a week (this is kind of a cop-out, because I easily walk 3 miles a weekend at Fest :D)
-Track my nutrition (using Calorie Count) at least 5 days/week.

EDIT: When do we start officially? I also enrolled in my work's Wellness Program and I get a pedometer to track my steps from them. Might change my mile goal to a step goal based on that.... or might increase it to 5 miles.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]: What about operation Laura Croft? Is that still on?

:( Sadly I never got to attend the con for cosplay via my grandmother's funeral.. so I sort of pushed it on the wayside. But I figure, why cosplay? I could just get closer for the hell of it.
Plus, the anxiety I always get when I feel it is time to cut my hair makes me think immediately afterwards " :( what have I done..." and I think mainly this is because I just.. don't feel like her when my hair is short. Hopefully, this routine will boost my confidence again. With better upper arms and core, I think I could step up to the plate of that challenge again.

My healthy eating challenge: Make healither choices in general.. while this isn't very strict, I think it's strict enough considering how scheduled the exercise is :laugh: you can only ask a P to do so much!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'll do it. I need to think of some interesting goals though. I think it'd probably be interesting if it was ab related and I needed to post pics.

In my totally unbias opinion, this is the best thing you have ever posted ever.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'll do it! It'll really motivate me. I mean, if you guys have to see me in spandex or somesuch at the end of 6 months, I'd better look enviable :D

Now, I just need to figure out what to do. I want a pretty strict plan, but the problem is figuring out the plan.

I will definitely be making my diet a little more strict, even though it is pretty strict now.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8

I will do so, aye. :happy: (Just for the record, I will be participating but obviously not in the contest itself.)

Cuz I was thinking of posting some of the low carb meals I eat when I want to lose weight, that work for me. And it isn't easy for me to lose weight, so if it works for me, it will probably work for almost anyone....

Hm yea was definitely thinking of a food-related thread. I know there was one that circulated previously, but it wasn't a challenge, and I'm not sure if the tracking aspect was even intentional.
Maybe something along the same vein in a secondary thread would be good? Personalized goals and all :huh:.

Hm, good point. I vote for a separate Healthy Eating thread, and I vote that we link the two threads to each other in the opening post of each, so that makes it easy to find one when you're in the other.

That is, if [MENTION=6276]Zoom[/MENTION] would be obliged to edit the link to the Healthy Eating thread into the OP of this thread, once the Healthy Eating thread is created?

BAM.

...and...

Big badda BOOM.

From this point forward please forward any and all discussions, suggestions, recipes, or cruel teasing photos of awesometastic tasty food to the new thread linked above (just click "BAM.")

Okay.. I'm in for pics, I'll take some soon, maybe this weekend. As for the Healthy Eating Challenge.. well, the idea gives me mental anguish. I can do exercise, or I can tightly control my food intake.. but I don't know if I can do both. I suppose I may as well give it a go, I'm just going to maybe set some reasonable goals.

I would agree ye have the right idea, Qlip. More akin to a hardcore goal in one arena, or moderate goals in both? (Example: Gradual changes in both areas [food and exercise], or a more extensive set of modifications to eating or exercising?) :cheers:

[MENTION=6276]Zoom[/MENTION], what will you do if more than one person makes it to the end?

Have slightly different prizes given among participants. Same concept, though: online gift cards, so no personal info of any kind has to be exchanged. If another idea presents itself I will definitely consider it.

EDIT: When do we start officially? I also enrolled in my work's Wellness Program and I get a pedometer to track my steps from them. Might change my mile goal to a step goal based on that.... or might increase it to 5 miles.

August 31st.

I am happy to answer any and all questions, but as an aside to everyone: please do make sure one reads the whole of the OP upon choosing to participate. :) I will be keeping the OP and whatever future posts are official-ish (the in-process challenge results spreadsheet, for instance) up to date with any relevant/needed information as it pops up, and will make sure to respond to any previously unanswered queries as they arise.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

Cool, thanks!

I think it would be a good idea to edit that link into your OP of this thread to make it easy to find, what do you think? (Edit: found it, thanks!)

Could you also please edit a link to this thread into your OP of the other thread? (Edit: found that one too, thanks!)

That would make it easy to cross reference between the two threads....

Thanks! :biggrin:

Last edited: