User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE None

Default Type Four and Body Image: Are we waifish?

(Disclaimer: My post is not meant to cause offense. I’m just stating my observations.)

I don’t believe I’m extremly tiny, but people tell me all the time that I’m going to “blow away in the wind” and that there’s “nothing to me”. My BMI is around 19-20, and although I live in an image-conscious city (in NorCal), what I tend to see most is skinny-shaming anyone who is either short or slender or both, as in, certain sizes are deemed to be less acceptable (0,2) if you’re over a certain age regardless of height and build. For some reason, my family members, and even strangers and friends, think it’s okay to tell me to put on weight because of my size or because “women look better with more weight on them.” When I was a teenager, and still living with my parents, my mother would point out people who were around size 4s and size 6s and tell me that they looked better than me, or that a “fuller face is always more attractive.”

I have a theory that once a type 4 takes in body image and health and size into the image that fits within their ideals, they will work hard to maintain it unless the ideal, for whatever reason, changes. I understand that body weight is not an enneagram type, but I can’t help but wonder if:

1. Type Fours tend to be image and health conscious than the average population

2. No matter how overweight we are, we will still appear tinier than people of the same stats.

I also have noticed that with myself, as a type Four, I’m very prone to judging people who don’t share my ideals in terms of fitness or body size. For instance, I’m learning that just because I value looking a certain way, it does not mean that everyone else will. Still, deep down, I don’t believe it’s okay for anyone to get fat.

Any type Fours out there who have noticed similar trends? @OrangeAppled
    “I touch people. I think everyone needs that.”

“I don’t go by the rule-book. I lead from the heart, not the head.”

“I think the biggest disease the world suffers in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month. I’m very happy to do that. I want to do that.”

“I wear my heart on my sleeve.”

ENFP, 4w5, SX/SO. SLUEI. Unstructured.
    Likes OrangeAppled, Froody Blue Gem liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

I’m gonna go with: genetics and environment for 600, Alex.

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeahh, no, there's no phenotype/dietary correlation. Not my my 4 experience. I've got a few 4s in my life, they're of somewhat average body type.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Froody Blue Gem liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

For most of my life I was a small four; I've gained a lot of weight in the last few years unfortunately.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm not a core 4, but i've got a 4 wing, 4 fix, and oodles of 4 drives. Eh... my appearance is the opposite of that, average-short height but I'm kind of bigger built let's just say. And my metabolism doesn't help and that I love food too much.

I am very image-conscious though and when I get my exercise in, I think to myself what I want to look like. I don't like clothes shopping because I don't like the way that I look and I have to focus on my body in certain clothes which I despise. If I see nice things, I enjoy it but if it's an unsuccessful trip, not so much. I also get wrapped up a lot in comparing the way I look to how other people look, and worrying about not looking good "so and so looks better than me."
    9w1 5w4 2w3 sp/so

In 1996, a rock from Mars was found in Antarctica. How did it get there?

O- High C- Average E- Extremely Hilariously Low A- Extremely High N-Medium High

Artificial intelligence Tenebris's Avatar
    MBTI
    IXTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I am body image conscious, and overweight.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Before I started taking medication that causes weight gain, I weighed 118 pounds at 5'7'' as an adult male. Right now, I'm in the average weight range, which, given my history of being very thin, feels like being massively overweight.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]