• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 2] Ask an e2!

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A general Q&A thread for e2s. All e2s are welcome to answer questions.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a question for male 2s.

Is society's expactation of masculine behavior in many ways opposite your motivations? Do you find yourself having to behave in a way that does not really ring true to yourself deep down due to gender roles?

That's actually two questions but really the same idea. Lol. So thanks to any who answer.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As a So 2, how important is it for you to be seen as loving?

And how would you feel/react if you believed you had helped someone out in the past and when you asked them for help they would not give you any?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a So 2, how important is it for you to be seen as loving?

And how would you feel/react if you believed you had helped someone out in the past and when you asked them for help they would not give you any?

I'm indifferent to a stranger's perception of me, but the closer I am to someone, the more I would want them to understand that I'm loving (regardless of what I appear to be). To reword it, it isn't important to me what people think when they judge my book by its cover, but if you're halfway through the damn thing and haven't picked up that all I want is a thank you, it'd frustrate me.

It wouldn't be a case of me believing I helped someone out, I either did or I didn't. There's always a receipt when you make a transaction. I personally would really struggle to ask for help to begin with unless I absolutely knew that it was fair within the context of our relationship and repport, to be denied of that for no good reason would really hurt me. It'd give me the sense that I'm unimportant, bothersome, and easy, which is exactly the kind of shame and insult that makes me not want to ask in the first place.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Are any of you Twos male? I read it's the least common type for men.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Bumping this thread because I can

Is society's expactation of masculine behavior in many ways opposite your motivations? Do you find yourself having to behave in a way that does not really ring true to yourself deep down due to gender roles?

That's actually two questions but really the same idea. Lol. So thanks to any who answer.

I'm not male but I think the hang up some people have of "Men provide, women stay at home" can easily be fueled by an e2 mindset. Sure there's the e1 interpretation of it "because right is right and wrong is wrong", but I don't think that's as common as the e2 "because what else is a man to do if not contribute".

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member

Yes. It's been a hell of a confusing ride. :dry: But I'm still here.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Late night thread bumping

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Are any of you Twos male? I read it's the least common type for men.

Take this with a grain of salt because I previously identified as ENFP 7w6. I've been identifying as ESFJ 2w3 for a while now, but who knows what will happen next in life to make me question otherwise :blush:

My gender identity is kind of up in the air right now. I was designated male at birth, have identified as a gay man for a majority of my life, but now I'm kind of exploring my deep-seated resentment of being associated with masculinity and am trying to champion a more non-binary identity. I have a few close friends in my life who are trans women, and they are kind of opening me up to that as well.

RE: society and masculinity...I never enjoyed being associated with maleness. I admired my mother growing up more than anything. She was kind and caring, and she relatively accepted me no matter what (she let me play with Barbies lol). My dad, although I'm more understanding and empathetic with him now, was not emotionally nurturing and considered making money his sole purpose to provide for a family. So I think I took on more of my mom's qualities as a result. I loved being maternal - I got a Baby Born for Christmas, I took nice care of all my stuffed animals, I made sure everyone was dressed nicely. It gave me joy to make others feel good the way my mom made me feel.

I think you guys are correct to hone in on this issue, but I reacted exactly the opposite way of concealing my gentle and vulnerable nature - I just rejected what society wanted for me. I distanced myself from identifying with male figures on TV who were portrayed as strong, unwaveringly stoic, and emotionally inept and continued to model myself after the girls I saw who were courteous, sweet, and caring. I think as an e2, you can't escape your true nature (and FWIW, the men I've met who've tested as e2 do not try to overcompensate with a lot of bravado either - they just incorporate their dependability and protectiveness into their masculine image).

But I will say, probably part of what made me first start questioning if I was gay was unconsciously realizing I'm not like other guys. I was not recklessly insensitive, I didn't like to get into contests over who was more fearless and audacious. Whenever boys would challenge me to do anything, my first worry would be how it would make others feel (and in turn, how that would reflect back on the kind of person I am). I think e2s (and I guess 3s as well) get this reputation for image-manipulation and ego deceit. While I concede that it's definitely a very basic survival tactic in order to make sure you are supported and loved, I think it also takes a strong sense of personal values as well.

Sorry if I'm kind of just rambling nonsense. I guess the essence of what I'm saying is that my discomfort with masculinity is because I'm an e2, and I'm sure that's the case for many others as well. But it doesn't necessarily result in identity suppression - it can also turn into an overt rejection of masculinity and identification with traditional feminine roles, regardless of what gender the e2 person identifies with.

Last edited:

Nawraa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I will be replying to this but I am not a male. However I know a male type 2 who shows his true self in front of females but tries to toughen up or seem strong and not loving or caring in front of other males. I think he does it so that they don't think he is a simp or less of a man but the way he changes character is just so obvious.