• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] INTP self typing as 9w5

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why is 9w5 not accepted as a type? i feel quite sure that is the best description for me, though i can't find a description of 9w5...

any help from those more familiar with this system of typology is very much appreciated....

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Because if you are a 9, you can only be a 9 with an 8 wing (9w8) or a 9 with a 1 wing (9w1) like me. The wings only relate to neighbouring numbers from 1-9 recurring.

You may relate to 5 and 5 may be the second or third number in your Tritype.

You may find it useful reading more about Enneagrams and Tritypes to find out more. There's resources on Wikipedia and the Wiki on this site which may help.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have settled on 9w1 sx/sp and 5/2/1

tests seem to give me a 50/50 split on 9 or 5

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Being a Ti dominant, it's not unusual to relate to e5 since your thinking patterns align somewhat with that type of emotional processing. Welcome to the forum!

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being a Ti dominant, it's not unusual to relate to e5 since your thinking patterns align somewhat with that type of emotional processing. Welcome to the forum!

that sort of makes sense... oh, and thanks... nice to be here (so far)...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like as said earlier, the concept of the wing was developed, as, well, a wing -- that the type on either side of your type on the enneagram wheel influences your behavior. So that's why nines can only be 9w1 or 9w8.

There's the popularized tritype theory where people pick one type from each of the three groupings (Head, Heart, Instinct) to identify themselves as. It seems pretty common for 5 and 9 to be in a grouping together -- along with Four, they are withdrawn (or "move away from") types so there are similarities in style.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like as said earlier, the concept of the wing was developed, as, well, a wing -- that the type on either side of your type on the enneagram wheel influences your behavior. So that's why nines can only be 9w1 or 9w8.

There's the popularized tritype theory where people pick one type from each of the three groupings (Head, Heart, Instinct) to identify themselves as. It seems pretty common for 5 and 9 to be in a grouping together -- along with Four, they are withdrawn (or "move away from") types so there are similarities in style.

i spent most of last night researching this and socionics... this is the sort of reply i was seeking at first, so thanks...

i feel like 9w1 sx/sp ennegram and 5/2/1 tritype fits well... the order of the numbers for the tritype seemed important, so i took that into account... is there any reason that you know of that those results aren't compatible with one another?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i spent most of last night researching this and socionics... this is the sort of reply i was seeking at first, so thanks...

i feel like 9w1 sx/sp ennegram and 5/2/1 tritype fits well... the order of the numbers for the tritype seemed important, so i took that into account... is there any reason that you know of that those results aren't compatible with one another?

Well, it's a bit odd to see someone call themselves a Nine, but then put One as their "Gut" type in their tritype. (Why aren't you a 1w9 then? Or a 529? I see a lot of 529, versus 521...namely because of what I said before ... 5 and 9 are both withdrawing types, so there's an overlap there... but in 521 you have a moving away type, a moving towards type, and a moving against type... it seems inherently contradictory on some level, mayhaps... especially 5 vs 1 since you have a Thinker type who wants to step back and tends to let the data determine the values, but the 1 is a gut type with strong values that then determine how data gets used.)

But considering this is all kind of makeshift anyway, not sure how it's supposed to align.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's a bit odd to see someone call themselves a Nine, but then put One as their "Gut" type in their tritype. (Why aren't you a 1w9 then? Or a 529? I see a lot of 529, versus 521...namely because of what I said before ... 5 and 9 are both withdrawing types, so there's an overlap there... but in 521 you have a moving away type, a moving towards type, and a moving against type... it seems inherently contradictory on some level, mayhaps... especially 5 vs 1 since you have a Thinker type who wants to step back and tends to let the data determine the values, but the 1 is a gut type with strong values that then determine how data gets used.)

But considering this is all kind of makeshift anyway, not sure how it's supposed to align.

i guess because i use a 521 process because i want the results that a 9 seeks... i have for years treated my thought process as a machine that can be tinkered with... i.e. "emotions are damaging me? i'll shut them off for now"... i spend long periods of time analyzing myself for ways to improve myself, my thinking, and the lives of those around me... i know that my entire process happens because of 5... i know that the motivation for applying critical thinking are the goals of 9, 2, and 1 (in order of importance)... when i think critically, everything about 9 makes sense... i don't act like a 9 because it is natural, i act like a 9 because it is best... i think i only see 1 as important because of phrases like this: "Ones are not only aware of the flaws they see embedded in the very structure of reality, but also, by extension, of the flaws they see in others, and more importantly of those they find in themselves."... the reasons the flaw matter are because of things like this from 2 "Twos have a built in radar for what the other might need, and they see themselves as the correct person for satisfying that need." and these two from 9 "The central problem for Nines revolves around the fact that their desire to maintain peace and to avoid conflict is compulsive." "At a largely subconscious level, Nines intuitively grasp that the constructed personality, the personality with which most of us identify, is not the true self; it is not who they are. This is, in fact, a very deep truth; the constructed personality is simply that – a construct through which consciousness operates, much of it built out of defenses and reactions to dangers which are no longer present; it is, in a sense, both a limitation and an obscuration. But the constructed personality also serves a necessary function; it gives the individual a base from which to operate, a sense of self, however ultimately flawed and partial. While the constructed self is not ultimately who we are, it is a necessary step towards the development of true individuality."

when i was a child i was an extrovert... then there was trauma, and somehow i came out of that an intp (i have 0 doubts on intp)... i have read reports from many other intp's that this happened to them also... i think that naturally i would have been a 2, maybe a 251 if it wasn't for those events...

(i nearly said 259 if not for those events...)

Last edited:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Because if you are a 9, you can only be a 9 with an 8 wing (9w8) or a 9 with a 1 wing (9w1) like me. The wings only relate to neighbouring numbers from 1-9 recurring.

You may relate to 5 and 5 may be the second or third number in your Tritype.

You may find it useful reading more about Enneagrams and Tritypes to find out more. There's resources on Wikipedia and the Wiki on this site which may help.
I always get 9, 5, 6, and 4....With 9 and 6 being the highest.

The enneagram is a subjective construct and like all subjective constructs, your mileage may vary.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
9w1 core with 125 tri isn't a valid combination. Tritypes are composed of one type from each "center": Heart (2,3,4), Head (5,6,7), and Body/Gut (8,9,1). One of those centers and the associated type is then dubbed the "core" type. If you ID as 9w1 core then the system, as it is most widely defined, forces you to have a tri of XX9.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always get 9, 5, 6, and 4....With 9 and 6 being the highest.

The enneagram is a subjective construct and like all subjective constructs, your mileage may vary.

i don't take it entirely seriously... i wanted to figure this out to better relate to folks here, so i thought i would do my best to do so as accurately as possible...

given that you have four options that seem relevant, have you figured out the best way to represent that? if so, by what process did you reach your conclusions?

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
9w1 core with 125 tri isn't a valid combination. Tritypes are composed of one type from each "center": Heart (2,3,4), Head (5,6,7), and Body/Gut (8,9,1). One of those centers and the associated type is then dubbed the "core" type. If you ID as 9w1 core then the system, as it is most widely defined, forces you to have a tri of XX9.

okay, so my conclusions are "incorrect"... do you feel willing/able to take a guess at what would fit better? if not, would providing more information change that? if further information is needed, what information would that be?

anyhow, if not i understand... it was helpful to hear why you think that my impressions don't fit into this system...

post script:

i just saw some folks with wings listed as part of the tritype (usernames Urarienev and Chanaynay)... is that normal/valid?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i just saw some folks with wings listed as part of the tritype (usernames Urarienev and Chanaynay)... is that normal/valid?

Yup. A tritype consists of the three parts Hawthorne mentioned, plus a wing for each one.

For example, my tritype is 6w7 9w1 4w3.

6 is the head type. 9 is the gut type. 4 is the heart type.

The 6 is first because it is my core enneagram type. 7 is its wing, so 6w7.

The other 2 types in your tritype can have wings too. Just like with the core type, the wings are only of adjacent types.

Most people order their tritype based on how strong each center is--my 6 is my core type, so I put it first; my gut fix (9) is stronger than my heart fix (4) so I put the 9 before the 4 in my listing. Thus, 6w7 9w1 4w3.

The second and third fixes in your tritype aren't as strong as the core, so it can be tricky to pick them out sometimes.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yup. A tritype consists of the three parts Hawthorne mentioned, plus a wing for each one.

For example, my tritype is 6w7 9w1 4w3.

6 is the head type. 9 is the gut type. 4 is the heart type.

The 6 is first because it is my core enneagram type. 7 is its wing, so 6w7.

The other 2 types in your tritype can have wings too. Just like with the core type, the wings are only of adjacent types.

Most people order their tritype based on how strong each center is--my 6 is my core type, so I put it first; my gut fix (9) is stronger than my heart fix (4) so I put the 9 before the 4 in my listing. Thus, 6w7 9w1 4w3.

The second and third fixes in your tritype aren't as strong as the core, so it can be tricky to pick them out sometimes.

i'll have to analyze this more, 9 and 2 are all within a step of 1, so maybe the trouble is that they need to be positioned as wings for each other at some points... it was my impression that they were listed in order of importance so hawthorne's opinion that xx9 was the only real option confused me... i may not have to change things as much as i had thought... i think i nearly have this down, thanks!

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i'll have to analyze this more, 9 1 and 2 are all within a step of each 1, so maybe the trouble is that they need to be positioned as wings for each other at some points... it was my impression that they were listed in order of importance so hawthorne's opinion that xx9 was the only real option confused me... i may not have to change things as much as i had thought... i think i nearly have this down, thanks!

Sometimes you'll see a tritype listed in numerical order--like 126, 469, 358, etc. These are the archetype descriptions of the tritypes. Depending on the order of the fixes they will differ slightly.

The 27 Tritype/Archetype Descriptions

If you are a 9w1 core, then your tritype is going to be 9xx. (or otherwise listed as xx9 numerically--or hey--maybe your tritype just happens to sit that way)

My tritype is "469 The Seeker" though it's listed as 6w7 9w1 4w3 because that's the order of each fix's strength for me

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION]

When talking about your own tritype, you can order them in whatever way you feel is most accurate like Yamato's 694. When talking about Tris more broadly (like if Yamato wanted to have a discussion about his tritype) it's standard to use the numerical ordering like 469. If you're searching for info on your tri, numerical order will almost always return more results. If you want to designate your core in numerical, you can use parenthesis like 4(6)9.

For the most part, the orders don't "change" the tri. It just shifts the focus. Most people who utilize tri also give each center a wing. A select few skip wings. Others don't utilize Tri at all and just focus on core type and instincts (self-preservation, social, sexual).

The enneagram is a very complex system and takes a while to get used to. Sorry for causing confusion earlier and thanks to [MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] for clarifying when I was unconscious.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so i took an enneagram test again...

results

reading this lead to me reading this...

"type 4 can mimic qualities of type 1, 2, 3 and 5."

okay, so wings as i currently understand them operate as modifiers to the more dominant function (number)...

in looking at myself as an intp, i know that i lean most heavily on the n... this makes the idea that nine seems to place slightly ahead of five reasonable... i know that i think about how i feel before i actually feel something (most of the time)... this means that the gut center should come first, followed by the head center, while emotions are left in the tertiary position... i can see why i was drawn to the idea of a 129 combination and still think it is odd that 9w5 isn't "legitimate" (it should be)... i think that while i have a goal to help others, two just isn't the right fit after all... anyhow, i think i am done looking into this for now, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't appreciate outside input...

9w1 5w4 4w5

CitizenErased

Clean Slate

results

okay, so wings as i currently understand them operate as modifiers to the more dominant function (number)...

in looking at myself as an intp, i know that i lean most heavily on the n... this makes the idea that nine seems to place slightly ahead of five reasonable... i know that i think about how i feel before i actually feel something (most of the time)... this means that the gut center should come first, followed by the head center, while emotions are left in the tertiary position... i can see why i was drawn to the idea of a 129 combination and still think it is odd that 9w5 isn't "legitimate" (it should be)... i think that while i have a goal to help others, two just isn't the right fit after all... anyhow, i think i am done looking into this for now, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't appreciate outside input...

9w1 5w4 4w5

I've always thought you belonged to the "Problem Solver" archetype (variants of 259), with 9 as core. Obviously, from what's written, I don't know if that changes in real life. There's a book on Enneagram tritype archetypes, let me type what the archetypes say:

Contemplative: 459/495/549/594/945/954

You are intuitive, knowledgeable and accepting. You want to be original, wise and peaceful. Highly self-aware and reflective, you are very shy, reserved and self-conscious. You need regular quiet time to reflect on your thoughts and emotions. Easily flooded with emotion, it is difficult for you to voice your ideal and feelings

[...]

Your life misson is to dlve deeply into the mysteries of life and share your insights. A true contemplative, you're happiest when you can write about your discoveries and discuss them with a select few. Making sense of your world is an ongoing quest.

Your blind spot is that you can be so focused on your inner world that you can become inhibited and appear to be indifferent to others. Insecure, you become moody and expect others to initiate and come toward you.

And then,

Problem Solver: 259/295/592/529/925/952

You are caring, knowledgeable and accepting. You want to be helpful, wise and peaceful. You have a very shy, gentle, reserved nature and tend to focus on what it is harmonious. You need companionship and avoid feelings of loneliness by focusing on the needs and concerns of others. You can struggle with inaction when you feel overwhelmed.

[...]

Your life mission is to find the information needed to understand and manage difficulties. A true problem solver, you are happiest when you are able to be in the role of a good Samaritan and help others find solutions.

Your blind spot is that you can be so focused on the helpful information you have collected that you can be too passive and miss opportunities that would allow true presence. You also have great pride in giving but "not" needing others.

I remember the first thing I told you was that you were too Fe for an INTP. Maybe it was a e2 hiding in your tritype!

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

results

Judging by your three highest, I would say you are definitely in the head triad. Have you looked into the motivations of the enneagram types that much?

9w1 5w4 4w5

I would say you are in the head triad, based on where the average of your highest scores lie. Have you looked into 6 (phobic)? They integrate to 9. So you may be well integrated and healthy 6.

Just a thought. Have you gotten into any of the motivations of the E types? I would delve into that more.