• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] E-6 with an 8 fix and 8 with a 6 fix

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but as a sub-discussion of the cp6/8 issue, I feel like 6's with an 8 fix would have a distinct quality to them. They would be 8ish in specific ways but retain their 6 differences. Similarly, 8's with a 6 fix would be have distinctive type related characteristics. So to pick the issue apart, how is a 6/8/X different from an 8/6/X? How is a 6/8/X different from a 6/9 or 1/X? How is an 8/6/X different from an 8/5 or 7/X? Does having an 8 fix make a 6 counter phobic? How strong is the correlation? What would a phobic 6 with an 8 fix look like?

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd start off with the fact that a 6 is in the head triad and an 8 is in the gut triad.

So in a very real way, a 6 is going to be overthinking things when they start going counterphobic on you. An 8 on the other hand is just going to be handing you raw rage without much of a basis behind it.

So to differentiate, I'd look for that overthinking vs underthinking dichotomy.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The only thing I really know about ennegram 6s is that I seem to get along with them really well and empathize with them to a great degree, probably because I'm 5w6 rather than 5w4. Otherwise, I need more clarity on what the enneagram type is all about. I think the phobic/counterphobic thing really throws me off.

I also admit to having some skepticism about the whole tritype thing. It's the kind of thing that would be lovely if it was true, but I'm not sure that it is.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only thing I really know about ennegram 6s is that I seem to get along with them really well and empathize with them to a great degree, probably because I'm 5w6 rather than 5w4. Otherwise, I need more clarity on what the enneagram type is all about. I think the phobic/counterphobic thing really throws me off.

I also admit to having some skepticism about the whole tritype thing. It's the kind of thing that would be lovely if it was true, but I'm not sure that it is.

What seems improbable about tritype? To me it makes sense to have a preference in each center. We all use our heads, hearts, and guts after all. I don't think it's all due to integration and disintegration.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What seems improbable about tritype? To me it makes sense to have a preference in each center. We all use our heads, hearts, and guts after all. I don't think it's all due to integration and disintegration.

Maybe it's the separation between heart and gut. It's not really clear to me how they differ.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe it's the separation between heart and gut. It's not really clear to me how they differ.

It maps to the nervous system very well: heart is the limbic system (emotions), and gut is the autonomous system (instinctive reactions). In terms of Enneagram, heart describes how we feel sad, and gut describes how we express anger. That might seem a bit weird, but anger is our self-defense mechanism, fight or flight. The head center is about fear, but really it describes anxiety, all the fears that arise from thinking about things too much, so it isn't the same kind of avoidance as in the gut center "flight". (And all the Enneagram types have a particular "fear", so the word isn't meaning exactly the same thing in all cases.)

So in short, head center is how we worry about things (cerebral cortex), heart center is our sadness/grief arising from the longing to connect with other people (limbic system), and the gut center is the anger that exists to defend us from attack or wrongdoing (autonomous "gut" system).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but as a sub-discussion of the cp6/8 issue, I feel like 6's with an 8 fix would have a distinct quality to them. They would be 8ish in specific ways but retain their 6 differences. Similarly, 8's with a 6 fix would be have distinctive type related characteristics. So to pick the issue apart, how is a 6/8/X different from an 8/6/X? How is a 6/8/X different from a 6/9 or 1/X? How is an 8/6/X different from an 8/5 or 7/X? Does having an 8 fix make a 6 counter phobic? How strong is the correlation? What would a phobic 6 with an 8 fix look like?

Do you mean like a x68 tritype? I'm going to take a wild guess here but those types are usually double reactive types. If it's a 468 tritype, a triple reactive one. So, they more than likely will be counterphobic. I may be wrong about that. But since 6 integrates to 9 (not 8), this would tell me that the person is....probably *unknowingly* a counterphobic 6 and not a phobic 6 at all. That is, if they are a type 6. I don't know enough about tritype to distinguish core type from the other two. At least, it doesn't seem like it does distinguish. It seems to me that tritype can explain core mistypes in the enneagram.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From what I've read and observed, there is generally no need to distinguish core type from the other two. Two people with identical tritypes tend to be more alike than two individuals with the same primary type.

So the "main type" of the tritype is really whichever one needs the most development, in my opinion.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:wink: This conundrum is exactly why I believe tritype is total crap, and offers an excuse for people to not zero in on their core issues (intentionally or just as a side effect). The idea of tritype also tends to convolute the core foundations of the Enneagram, health patterns, etc. Not trying to troll, just offering a alternative solution to the OP. Most of the time, I find that the differences people attribute to tritype can actually easily be attributed to instinctual and wing differences.

Myself as an example: I would have an "8-fix" but Naranjo already calls Sx-4 "8-like" so I don't need tritype to understand that aspect of self. Just as an SP-8 would seem more "6-like" than it's SX and SO 8 brethren, due to their fixation with preservational (security) based things.

Just a thought.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:wink: This conundrum is exactly why I believe tritype is total crap, and offers an excuse for people to not zero in on their core issues (intentionally or just as a side effect). The idea of tritype also tends to convolute the core foundations of the Enneagram, health patterns, etc. Not trying to troll, just offering a alternative solution to the OP. Most of the time, I find that the differences people attribute to tritype can actually easily be attributed to instinctual and wing differences.

Myself as an example: I would have an "8-fix" but Naranjo already calls Sx-4 "8-like" so I don't need tritype to understand that aspect of self. Just as an SP-8 would seem more "6-like" than it's SX and SO 8 brethren, due to their fixation with preservational (security) based things.

Just a thought.

I don't think tritype is "necessary". I consider Enneagram and its variations as a framework that lets me map out otherwise extremely abstract ideas.

The main virtue of tritype is that I think it helps emphasize those three main "cores" of the psyche. It was in part the concept of tritype that helped me settle on my being a type 9, because none of the types the tests identified me as were "next to each other". There was no obvious "wing" or anything like that. The tritype test revealed me as 953, and that was the only Enneagram result that I ever identified with.

Can it be abused? Yep. I especially have a problem with using wings and tritypes: if you're doing that, you should just identify the three types that you are NOT. :p

But on the whole I think it helps identify type for those who are otherwise having issues. Given a choice of 3 types in each center, it's fairly easy to pinpoint which of the three is closest to you. Once you have a tritype, it's just a matter of weighing things between the three to figure out your main one. For my part, it helped me explore Enneagram more thoroughly, especially with people just typing me as "5w6" and my not identifying with that type at all except for very superficial descriptions.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think tritype is "necessary". I consider Enneagram and its variations as a framework that lets me map out otherwise extremely abstract ideas.

The main virtue of tritype is that I think it helps emphasize those three main "cores" of the psyche. It was in part the concept of tritype that helped me settle on my being a type 9, because none of the types the tests identified me as were "next to each other". There was no obvious "wing" or anything like that. The tritype test revealed me as 953, and that was the only Enneagram result that I ever identified with.

Can it be abused? Yep. I especially have a problem with using wings and tritypes: if you're doing that, you should just identify the three types that you are NOT. :p

But on the whole I think it helps identify type for those who are otherwise having issues. Given a choice of 3 types in each center, it's fairly easy to pinpoint which of the three is closest to you. Once you have a tritype, it's just a matter of weighing things between the three to figure out your main one. For my part, it helped me explore Enneagram more thoroughly, especially with people just typing me as "5w6" and my not identifying with that type at all except for very superficial descriptions.

Totally! In fact, if tritype were merely a tool to confirm core type (as you have described), I could see that as a beneficial use. Unfortunately, your approach is uncommon, friend. Most people that I've conversed with and observed using tritype, get in an endless cycle of confusion, never truly focusing on their core Enneagram type. This is because they see tritype as a way to identify themselves in an even more detailed, unique way, from others-- not as a way to confirm or determine core, as you have.

I actually think it's kind of tough to choose one in some of the centers because of health points and such...that's one of things that caused me to start asking questions. I find it silly for someone to include a health or stress point in their tritype (again, because it's redundant). A 4 doesn't have a 1-fix (that's called integration), just as a 9 doesn't have a 3-fix because 3 is it's health point. Call me crazy, but that's my logic. ;)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Totally! In fact, if tritype were merely a tool to confirm core type (as you have described), I could see that as a beneficial use. Unfortunately, your approach is uncommon, friend. Most people that I've conversed with and observed using tritype, get in an endless cycle of confusion, never truly focusing on their core Enneagram type. This is because they see tritype as a way to identify themselves in an even more detailed, unique way, from others-- not as a way to confirm or determine core, as you have.

I actually think it's kind of tough to choose one in some of the centers because of health points and such...that's one of things that caused me to start asking questions. I find it silly for someone to include a health or stress point in their tritype (again, because it's redundant). A 4 doesn't have a 1-fix (that's called integration), just as a 9 doesn't have a 3-fix because 3 is it's health point. Call me crazy, but that's my logic. ;)

Ah yes! The only thing I see tritype as good for, and I couldn't explain it properly in my previous post, was for integration/disintegration purposes. That would be a good question. For instance, when I got into enneagram I would test as 468 super reactive tritype. But I didn't know I was a 6. I thought I was a 5 or a 7. When reading that 468 tritype, I got more in depth with ennegram and thought...why is my tritype showing me three numbers that never come up on my enneagram core tests? Hmmm....

It's CAN prove helpful in narrowing down what type you actually are. Or if you have disintegration points in your tritype or lack of integration points in your tritype is telling you that you may want to wonder WHY that is. Are you healthy? Are your sure of your core motivation?

I test as 469 now. This was after learning about counterphobia and how that expressed itself. Otherwise, I would think I was an 8.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7

I guess why I subscribe to tritype is that I feel like just one type doesn't describe me enough. It's like putting a bunch of spaghetti in a box, but some of the spaghetti is falling out, so you've gotta put it in a bigger box. I don't like loose spaghetti. It's good to have it all in there so there's nothing hangin' around.

There are parts of me that are so strongly linked to three types, and they can't be explained by integration/disintegration (well 9 can, but 6 isn't connected to 2 and I feel both of those types quite strongly). So tritype can take the whole person and capture it better, I guess. But I don't know.

I think I just repeated what you already wrote. Oh well.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I've read and observed, there is generally no need to distinguish core type from the other two. Two people with identical tritypes tend to be more alike than two individuals with the same primary type.

So the "main type" of the tritype is really whichever one needs the most development, in my opinion.

For myself I couldn't really make much progress with my tritype until I figured out my core. If you do this a lot of intertype confusion is explained away.

So then, is there an easy way to figure out the third number in tritype? I think the center which is lowest in consciousness for you or least prominent would be hardest to distinguish. I'm torn between 1 and 9. Leaning toward 1. So it's between 641 and 649. I haven't seen a lot written about tritypes outside of books, and I haven't read entire books yet. If tritype is so important, why is there not more information out there about it?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Heart is more about emotions and gut is about instincts? I know that may be an oversimplification. But take how 2, 3, and 4 differ from 8, 9, and 1. 2 seeks love. 3 seeks admiration. 4 seeks identity through feeling. 8 is driven by power, 9 by inner peace, and 1 by purity. Shame vs. anger. All the heart stuff just seems more conscious to me. The other, gut center motivations, you don't think as much about. You feel it in your gut and not your heart. I hope this helps any. I'm having trouble putting it into words. If you know your tritype, when you have a response from these centers you can feel where it is in your body and sort of tell that way.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, in terms of the difference between 68x and 61x, a 61x is going to have a sort of rigidity and critical nature to them, be very hard on themselves, and be exacting in their standards towards others. I'm not really sure about 68x because I'm not one, but potentially they might be more outwardly explosive in some ways instead of directing that energy inward.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, in terms of the difference between 68x and 61x, a 61x is going to have a sort of rigidity and critical nature to them, be very hard on themselves, and be exacting in their standards towards others. I'm not really sure about 68x because I'm not one, but potentially they might be more outwardly explosive in some ways instead of directing that energy inward.

Correct about 6 with 8 fixes being more outwardly explosive. They're not like this all the time of course, but it usually happens when they feel threatened. Other people may not see the same threats that the 6 sees, so they may think that the 68X exploded for no good reason.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like tritype for increased understanding. I tested as a 694 on a test when I first explored enneagram. When I read the tritype description, I cried for an hour, because it felt so real to me. But I didn't relate to 6 or 9 and I really wanted to see me as 4.

But I was in a very unhealthy state at the time. I did the enneacards test and I came up 4 and 6. Other tests show 2 and 3.

Eventually, with help, I saw the e9 and I fully accept it as my core. My unhealthy state fit the e9 chart.

Where I still struggle is my heart fix. Fe causes e2 to look prominent. Je pushes e3. But neither fits me, so I run with 4 fix .

And as a 9w8, 9 integrates to 3 and 8 integrates to 2, so both will show up in my nature.....