• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Does Beauty fill you up with sadness?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only when it's the humbling kind of beauty that makes me feel ugly in comparison. Like standing in front of God's perfection and seeing all of your own smallness and silliness. I usually turn that into inspiration though, so I wouldn't qualify it as a sad experience. But I do spontaneously cry in some of those moments.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, sometimes. It's enjoyable, but I don't like it to happen too often. Gotta keep it special.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beauty fills me with awe.

Nature beauty makes me feel small but grand when I see the distance. When I am up close, I feel one with the Earth and the animals.

Beautiful women make me feel like life is worth living and there are mysteries that aren't solved yet... don't ask me why.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Seeing beauty in nature makes me instantly feel at peace, like heaven and earth has just been unified and I am standing there witnessing this collision take place. Seeing beauty in design and engineering sparks an appreciation that is wholly intellectual and felt on a level where man comes closest to the divinity found in nature through the crafts his hands and mind creates.

P.S. Why do I keep finding these interesting threads and post, only later realizing it's meant to tie into the Enneagram typing system. Dang you Hot Threads!!!

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seeing beauty in nature makes me instantly feel at peace, like heaven and earth has just been unified and I am standing there witnessing this collision take place. Seeing beauty in design and engineering sparks an appreciation that is wholly intellectual and felt on a level where man comes closest to the divinity found in nature through the crafts his hands and mind creates.

P.S. Why do I keep finding these interesting threads and post, only later realizing it's meant to tie into the Enneagram typing system. Dang you Hot Threads!!!

Well you can always ignore the fact that its in this section and answer it however you wish to. :)
Nothing wrong with that

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
No, never!

Beauty fills me with hope, possibility, wonder and appreciation for this life and this extraordinary universe.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are lots of different types of beauty, each offering its own angle from which to appreciate what is experienced. I find beauty that makes me feel a simple, childlike joy at being alive, and I also find beauty that feels heavier and more complex. When I experience something as profoundly beautiful, I usually experience differing (even opposing) emotions at once, with the contrast amplifying both feelings. (I think pangs of nostalgia are a good example that many people can probably relate to.) Most of my favorite memories, art and music have an emotional dichotomy of sad/joyful because it makes me feel so alive, even more so than having intense but monochrome emotions.

I would say awareness of inevitable change and the passing of time are behind a lot of experiences I find beautiful in a sad way. Appreciating and longing for something that is already gone, or appreciating something present while grasping its impermanence. See my user title: mono no aware.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
to me, it's more of a kind of vulnerability and fragility that stirs it the deepest. i can have moments of awe and wonder, and that kind of inspiration is awesome and freeing and soaring. but...beauty, to me, makes me feel the depths of a love i had forgotten was there. this way of being part of a quality of care that is enough to turn any tides again, no matter how stale they've gotten. a kind of redemptive moment that is both inside and outside me and that makes everything enough. a preciousness that i want to protect. that reminds me of the most important thing. that allows all of that held suffering to be released and transformed into a joy of many colors. albeit one that still definitely pinches and burns.

Radian

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
uhhh.

Yeah. I like going to my apartment's rooftop, or just staring from the window. The sky, streets, people walking-- and there is this aching feeling. I remember my childhood; I was born in the lower-middle class, and lived in small towns for years. Smell of the greens, silly chickens, army of ducks and lots of stray cats hanging out by my truck, singing their concerts by night. Missed them bad. Thank God now my family and I can make money by ourselves and finally got our own home.

But the sadder thing? I was alone here. No neighbors and friends to share the view. One moved away; the others scared because...argh.

An operating prostitution was discovered in one of the floors. With that, no one wants to go outside and see the horizon with me. They're all freaked out and chose to be hermits in their own flat.

It makes me sad.

I was thankful, yet I wanted to go away.

Norqs

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do often feel sad when I experience beauty, because I frequently feel alone when I experience beauty. Beauty can feel so immense that it renders me irrelevant in the face of it. Beauty can be so intense that I cannot experience it and experience connection with others at the same time. Beauty can, in itself, be lonely, which leads me to absorb that loneliness and be enveloped by it.

Sometimes the reverse happens, where a lonely thing is beautiful entirely because it's lonely. I am moved and inspired by cityscapes, but whenever I'm in a city, I feel completely and utterly alone and disconnected -- even more so than if I were alone in a desert, the only person for a hundred miles each way.

(Not an e4, but I connect very much with 4 when I experience beauty -- take my answer with a grain of salt, but don't totally disqualify it.)
I feel exactly the same on occasion and I too am not an E4 but an 872

Norqs

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, never!

Beauty fills me with hope, possibility, wonder and appreciation for this life and this extraordinary universe.

AND it also fills me with an appreciation for this life and this extraordinary universe, but still tinged with sadness.... perhaps that the world has changed so much from when i was a child as I had far more hope for the world and humankind then than I do now, hence the sadness a kind of nostalgic melancholy

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seeing beauty in nature makes me ache, but I don't equate that with sadness. The two feelings that are life to me are: being able to see beauty, and being able to feel love. This is the driving force of my life from the time I was 13 years old. Being able to see across a vast expanse does something for my soul. I also like to notice the tiniest wildflowers that are so small, they are safe and even overlooked. Looking into the eyes of a wild animal fills up my heart. Words always feel like they fall short.

I would say that really seeing the beautiful does make me ache, but it is also a feeling of being filled with strength. It's what enables me to look right at the sadness in the world. In a way beauty gives me the strength to feel sadness.

It depends. Sometimes it makes me ridiculously jubilant, but that in itself can make me weep, though not in a depressing manner. More like tears of joy. I was more prone to sadness when I was depressed years ago. Now it's not very commonplace unless I'm in one of my shitty moods due to other circumstances when I see something beautiful that I don't have. That's when the e4 envy comes out big time, but it's also because of something else that I won't elaborate on. I can become obsessive though while thinking about it, so I have to limit myself from certain things in order to avoid getting to that stage once again.

Additionally, sometimes while alone if I'm in one of my emotional moods and I hear or see something beatiful, I'll start crying. It can remind me about something from the past that made me sad and bring me back to that time in the present moment. Or if I think about something negative that could happen and tell the story in my head, I could start weeping badly. That one doesn't happen too often though. But yeah, it mainly involves a memory of some sort that affects me deeply in a way.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, but I do find beauty in sadness.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I already posted, but no, definitely not. It makes me feel excited and inspired.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read an essay where there was a lady who proclaimed

There is no beauty in suffering.

And practical examples confirmed it so, compared to the media which obviously glamorizes it

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I do. But it isn't pure sadness, I think it's often a mixture of awe and inspiration, loneliness and longing. I experience that feeling especially with nostalgic or old things. And things that are abandoned, forgotten...forsaken. I can't quite articulate it, it's an innate feeling.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seeing beauty in nature makes me ache. ... Being able to see across a vast expanse does something for my soul. I also like to notice the tiniest wildflowers that are so small, they are safe and even overlooked. Looking into the eyes of a wild animal fills up my heart. Words always feel like they fall short.

I miss the days when I could relate to this immensely. You're lucky to have such a sensitivity to the beauty of nature. (For whatever reason I've grown numb to it as I've gotten older. Hopefully I'll get it back someday.)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Beauty can make me feel lots of things- depending on the context- I attach to what I am viewing.

Can be enotional, related to memories, values, ideas, perceptions- anything.

So the context- sure- if there is sadness there- beauty might make me feel sad. But. It might- and most likely since- people are generally complex- makes me feel all sorts of different aspects of different things all at once.

There is beauty in most things. There is sadness in most things. And just- depending on where I am at personally- I can see elements of both- and more- in modt things.