• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Anger in Type 6 vs Type 8

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Differences, similarities, personal experiences? I get each type's connection to anger in an abstract, language-based context, but would like to ground it with some real world examples. Would appreciate hearing from Sixes, Eights, and anyone who knows them.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ex and roommate is a 6. Anger is a bluff. Reactive. Inside, they are scared. Really scared and will back down if you don't. Think puffer-fish. Don't be mistaken, it can be really convincing if you don't know!

Sister is an 8. Anger tied to control, not reactive. If she gets pissed off, you better leave. Fearless + angry is not a good combo to go up against. My cousin is also an 8 but with a 9-wing. So less angry...really hard to see the 8 in him. It's not pretty when it does show though.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ex and roommate is a 6. Anger is a bluff. Reactive. Inside, they are scared. Really scared and will back down if you don't. Think puffer-fish. Don't be mistaken, it can be really convincing if you don't know!

Sister is an 8. Anger tied to control, not reactive. If she gets pissed off, you better leave. Fearless + angry is not a good combo to go up against. My cousin is also an 8 but with a 9-wing. So less angry...really hard to see the 8 in him. It's not pretty when it does show though.

It's so much easier to grasp the differences, and how so, when you can imagine the behaviour. Is your sister an 8w7 to your cousin's 8w9?

Do you know the wings of your ex and roommate?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's so much easier to grasp the differences, and how so, when you can imagine the behaviour. Is your sister an 8w7 to your cousin's 8w9?

Do you know the wings of your ex and roommate?

Yes, she is.

Both are 6w7.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My dad is a cp6w5 with a strong 8-fix. I feel like the guy legitimately gets angry a lot of times, it's not always fear-based. And there are 9-fixed 6s who don't relate to be angry at all but can really lay down the law when pushed. I almost feel like the anger reaction of an individual 6 will depend as much on gut-fix as on type 6 itself.

And as to type 6 itself, 6s can be angry due to pressure. They often report feeling pressured--by commitments, doubts, uncertainties, obligations, you name it--and that lends itself to a lot of frustration. As to the 8s, the anger comes from a vague (or not) sense of violation, frustrated will, and one's truth not being heard. So I think the important here is the background of why anger happens--of course, there are things that piss off everyone, so you have to approach it with common sense.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
My dad is a cp6w5 with a strong 8-fix. I feel like the guy legitimately gets angry a lot of times, it's not always fear-based. And there are 9-fixed 6s who don't relate to be angry at all but can really lay down the law when pushed. I almost feel like the anger reaction of an individual 6 will depend as much on gut-fix as on type 6 itself.

And as to type 6 itself, 6s can be angry due to pressure. They often report feeling pressured--by commitments, doubts, uncertainties, obligations, you name it--and that lends itself to a lot of frustration. As to the 8s, the anger comes from a vague (or not) sense of violation, frustrated will, and one's truth not being heard. So I think the important here is the background of why anger happens--of course, there are things that piss off everyone, so you have to approach it with common sense.

Interesting. I'm starting to understand the difference and I recognise it in various people. But I wonder if it's the cp that makes your dad's anger seem less fear-based. I mean, in a sense, anger is always fear-based, it just happens that the 6's anger can be located/situated (named) vs. the vague, seemingly unknown, anger of the 8.

I've just always found the whole 6-8-anger thing confusing, so your post was very helpful. Thanks.

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From experience, the anger of a 6 seems more emotional, scattered and generally reactive. The anger of an 8 is typically pretty lucid, even in immense rage, I suppose there's an element of control to it (as well as it most likely being intended to accomplish or reestablish control). As a side note, 6 anger can be pretty relentless, but depending on the situation, you can also pull the rug up completely from it if you stop engaging with it, whereas the 8 anger is pretty hard to stop.

As far as distinguishing between 8w7s and 8w9s through anger, the 8w7s let it off in smaller bursts more frequently, whereas 8w9s are like dynamite with a very long wick, because it bubbles up and is less outwardly visible until it finally explodes.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting. I'm starting to understand the difference and I recognise it in various people. But I wonder if it's the cp that makes your dad's anger seem less fear-based. I mean, in a sense, anger is always fear-based, it just happens that the 6's anger can be located/situated (named) vs. the vague, seemingly unknown, anger of the 8.

I've just always found the whole 6-8-anger thing confusing, so your post was very helpful. Thanks.
Glad I could help.

I dunno how my dad's anger is necessarily a mask for fear--he's annoyed by stuff that gets in the way, in a manner similar to 8s. I think 8s' anger is able to be named--it's existential, sure, but there's generally a cause when it gets set off. Usually some issue pertaining to boundaries (e.g., stuff that gets in the way).

In what way would you say anger is always fear-based, out of curiosity?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To the OP:

Sandra Maitri said:
Likewise, counterphobic Sixes come across as decisive, firm, pugnacious, and argumentative, and often find themselves opposing those in authority and debunking prevailing trends of thought. They are frequently mistaken for Eights, but lack the Eight’s self-assured indomitability, and instead appear aggressively suspicious, belligerent, and defensive in their attempt to prove that they are not afraid and don’t feel vulnerable.

Sandra Maitri said:
Regardless of the [...] style of a Six, their personality structure revolves around fear. Convinced that the world is an unsafe and hostile environment and that others are driven by selfishness, Sixes — until they have done a great deal of inner work — are fixed in their cynical perspective that goodness and supportiveness not only are unobtainable but don’t really exist. They tend to doubt the positive, not with an open attitude of finding out whether or not it exists and is reliable but with a prejudice that it does not. Not only do they doubt the positive outside of themselves but perhaps even more distressingly within themselves as well. They doubt their motivations, question their impulses, and are basically afraid of their inner reality, experiencing it as deceptive and untrustworthy. This is particularly true of that seat of preconceptual instinctual drives, the id; and so they typically have a fearful attitude toward what is arising spontaneously from within them, particularly if it is aggressive or sexual. It is their conviction of the unreliability of themselves, others, and the world that gives them a peculiar kind of certainty, but one that leaves them in an underlying state of fear and anxiety.

And while this is of course not true for every 6 in every situation, Maitri makes it pretty clear that 6s are not an overly aggressive type in the sense that they enjoy embracing carnal desires, lust for life and spontaneously indulging in what impulses arise within them, including anger, which is a very basal kind of feeling. It arises from within the gut and body and is related to asserting boundaries and one's will. 6s may resort to anger, or perhaps more accurately, indignation, when they feel threatened and feel the need to assert themselves because they want to prove their own independence, but it's a different kind of anger from the 8. The 8 is angry over things that are wrong or untrue, when they perceive there to be a slight or some kind of injustice done to them or someone else they care for or just in the world in general, as opposed to the 6 whose anger is a reaction to the demands and expectations placed upon them and to free themselves of these expectations. It's more an attitude of rebellion.

I agree and think this is true for all the non-gut types.

I think the bolded is important because the anger of the 8 is more existential. It's more just a general anger at the world for not being the way it ought to be and the 8 has to set it straight, to make it just again. All the gut types are concerned about "being", how things are, the state of things, as opposed to head types, that are concerned with the perception of things, how to understand something.

Furthermore, the core emotion for each emotional center will be true for the types as well, where 8s will be driven as anger not just in the sense of feeling angry often and easily and embracing anger as an emotion, as much as they are driven by an existential sense of anger that goes beyond being angry at anything directly tangible and something that is currently occurring in the present moment e.g. getting pissed at someone or something. It's more that immediate feelings of anger simply tap into this deeper existential anger, an anger directed at the very state of the world itself. Similarly then, 6s have a fundamental sense of existential anxiety that underlies all their thoughts and actions, a sense that one can never truly be certain of the state of the world and it creates anxiety.

Why would anger always be fear-based? As an anger type, I can't say that's true at all. I personally find that anger is the first reaction to pain but inbetween pain and anger there is no fear that would give rise to that anger. I find that it is the head types that think it is fear that is the most pervasive emotion. Personally, it is simply that, anger. I can't even put that anger into words because it's so encompassing, so deep and pervasive. It is kind of proto-like in that sense, as if it is the spark that sets everything else in motion. As I wrote, I think anger is actually the most basal of the three emotions for each center of intelligence because the gut or the body is the most basic aspect of the human existence and we see this representation as well, moving from the gut to the heart to the head in this linear motion. Of course, at some point fear does connect to the gut as pure and unadultered fear, not just panic, but fear as a very raw gut reaction to danger or threat, is that, a gut reaction, but as a whole, there is a certain so to say, complication, that lies behind both the head and the heart center that I at least don't experience in relation to anger. Anger is very pure and raw, very simple in its origin and manifestation. Fear for example involves some kind of conscious thought, a conscious level of perception of a threat or danger, and similarly, behind shame there is an awareness of acceptability in the eyes of others, an awareness of one's value. Anger doesn't have that, imo. This is why some authors note that the gut types tend to be the most asleep in the spiritual sense, being the less consciously aware of themselves and their actions, thoughts and feelings. Being a gut type means in a sense to not be consciously aware. It is very much an automatic way of moving in the world. There is a lack of deliberation, of conscious pondering. You just do.

I dunno how my dad's anger is necessarily a mask for fear--he's annoyed by stuff that gets in the way, in a manner similar to 8s. I think 8s' anger is able to be named--it's existential, sure, but there's generally a cause when it gets set off. Usually some issue pertaining to boundaries (e.g., stuff that gets in the way).

I do think this is true for some 6s though, covering up their fear with anger or rather, indignation. I also think some authors conflate and exaggerate the reactive formation of cp6 a lot with 8. In some cases perhaps if the 6 has an 8 fix because duh, they will react with anger the way 8s do it because why wouldn't they?, but overall, cp6 reactivity is more rebellion and tends to come across as overly paranoid and how they try to "stand up" against people they find to be oppressive. There is a sense of consciously felt victimhood and a refusal to be control as in they are trying to say that they actually can without you. There's a need to prove their competence. 8s don't have that. When 8s rebel against authority it's because it's unjust or unfair and they are utterly sure of their own competence. It's rare for 8s to question or doubt themselves and when they do, it tends to be more in the sense of whether they did wrong, if they hurt someone else who didn't deserve that hurt and how it validates their self-perception of being utterly bad people. 6s don't think they are bad but think they are good people in a bad world. 8s are bad people in a bad world.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Example of 6 cp reactivity:
Se & Nietzsche's "Will to Power" - Page 6

Oh, but your numerology system of Enneagram is valid and factual?

I am not interested in defending a system. You are. As are many INTJ on here. I have seen NTJ speech described as sterile and stern. You have that in spades. You are so dry. I have to blow the dust off your words when they get to me. Hitler speaks the same exact way. Nietzsche does not.

And you hang over people like a Nun with a ruler, always upholding the system and order. It is an NTJ thing. There are many of you on this forum doing that. You are playing the nun now. I am a guy giving my thoughts on a subject. You are not destroyers. lol. You are the biggest upholders on this forum. You care more about the system than anything. It must not break, because then you would be lost.

Notice the bolded parts, the reactive formation of acting against a perceived threat but the fear places himself in a position of inferiority. He is the victim who is subjected to enforced control that he is trying to rebel against. It's fairly aggressive I suppose, he is giving a lot of negative character remarks, but the attitude underlies the fear and comes across as paranoid, especially towards the end. 8s blame but don't necessarily accuse in this way. 6s are accusers.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
From experience, the anger of a 6 seems more emotional, scattered and generally reactive. The anger of an 8 is typically pretty lucid, even in immense rage, I suppose there's an element of control to it (as well as it most likely being intended to accomplish or reestablish control). As a side note, 6 anger can be pretty relentless, but depending on the situation, you can also pull the rug up completely from it if you stop engaging with it, whereas the 8 anger is pretty hard to stop.

As far as distinguishing between 8w7s and 8w9s through anger, the 8w7s let it off in smaller bursts more frequently, whereas 8w9s are like dynamite with a very long wick, because it bubbles up and is less outwardly visible until it finally explodes.

Great examples!

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
In what way would you say anger is always fear-based, out of curiosity?

In the way that all of the types have an underlying fear. Eights fear being controlled by others, intrusion upon their space.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In the way that all of the types have an underlying fear. Eights fear being controlled by others, intrusion upon their space.

See my post about 8 anger. Anget isn't a result from the fear of being controlled really. Anger is simply the most basal feeling. It precedes everything else.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
To the OP:

And while this is of course not true for every 6 in every situation, Maitri makes it pretty clear that 6s are not an overly aggressive type in the sense that they enjoy embracing carnal desires, lust for life and spontaneously indulging in what impulses arise within them, including anger, which is a very basal kind of feeling. It arises from within the gut and body and is related to asserting boundaries and one's will. 6s may resort to anger, or perhaps more accurately, indignation, when they feel threatened and feel the need to assert themselves because they want to prove their own independence, but it's a different kind of anger from the 8. The 8 is angry over things that are wrong or untrue, when they perceive there to be a slight or some kind of injustice done to them or someone else they care for or just in the world in general, as opposed to the 6 whose anger is a reaction to the demands and expectations placed upon them and to free themselves of these expectations. It's more an attitude of rebellion.

+1

These are the kinds of differences that help one discern. Also, to see them side by side in one place.

I think the bolded is important because the anger of the 8 is more existential. It's more just a general anger at the world for not being the way it ought to be and the 8 has to set it straight, to make it just again. All the gut types are concerned about "being", how things are, the state of things, as opposed to head types, that are concerned with the perception of things, how to understand something.

Furthermore, the core emotion for each emotional center will be true for the types as well, where 8s will be driven as anger not just in the sense of feeling angry often and easily and embracing anger as an emotion, as much as they are driven by an existential sense of anger that goes beyond being angry at anything directly tangible and something that is currently occurring in the present moment e.g. getting pissed at someone or something. It's more that immediate feelings of anger simply tap into this deeper existential anger, an anger directed at the very state of the world itself. Similarly then, 6s have a fundamental sense of existential anxiety that underlies all their thoughts and actions, a sense that one can never truly be certain of the state of the world and it creates anxiety.

+100

Why would anger always be fear-based? As an anger type, I can't say that's true at all. I personally find that anger is the first reaction to pain but inbetween pain and anger there is no fear that would give rise to that anger. I find that it is the head types that think it is fear that is the most pervasive emotion. Personally, it is simply that, anger. I can't even put that anger into words because it's so encompassing, so deep and pervasive. It is kind of proto-like in that sense, as if it is the spark that sets everything else in motion. As I wrote, I think anger is actually the most basal of the three emotions for each center of intelligence because the gut or the body is the most basic aspect of the human existence and we see this representation as well, moving from the gut to the heart to the head in this linear motion. Of course, at some point fear does connect to the gut as pure and unadultered fear, not just panic, but fear as a very raw gut reaction to danger or threat, is that, a gut reaction, but as a whole, there is a certain so to say, complication, that lies behind both the head and the heart center that I at least don't experience in relation to anger. Anger is very pure and raw, very simple in its origin and manifestation. Fear for example involves some kind of conscious thought, a conscious level of perception of a threat or danger, and similarly, behind shame there is an awareness of acceptability in the eyes of others, an awareness of one's value. Anger doesn't have that, imo. This is why some authors note that the gut types tend to be the most asleep in the spiritual sense, being the less consciously aware of themselves and their actions, thoughts and feelings. Being a gut type means in a sense to not be consciously aware. It is very much an automatic way of moving in the world. There is a lack of deliberation, of conscious pondering. You just do.

Maybe the "always" is incorrect, but I simply meant that all the types have a core fear.

You make some exceptionally excellent points about the gut types.

I do think this is true for some 6s though, covering up their fear with anger or rather, indignation. I also think some authors conflate and exaggerate the reactive formation of cp6 a lot with 8. In some cases perhaps if the 6 has an 8 fix because duh, they will react with anger the way 8s do it because why wouldn't they?, but overall, cp6 reactivity is more rebellion and tends to come across as overly paranoid and how they try to "stand up" against people they find to be oppressive. There is a sense of consciously felt victimhood and a refusal to be control as in they are trying to say that they actually can without you. There's a need to prove their competence. 8s don't have that. When 8s rebel against authority it's because it's unjust or unfair and they are utterly sure of their own competence. It's rare for 8s to question or doubt themselves and when they do, it tends to be more in the sense of whether they did wrong, if they hurt someone else who didn't deserve that hurt and how it validates their self-perception of being utterly bad people. 6s don't think they are bad but think they are good people in a bad world. 8s are bad people in a bad world.

It's amazing how you're able to put into words that which is so elusive. Thank you!

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'd be an 8w9 then, the looooooooong fuse and the final explosion...
As to anger, I tend to be going for a particular goal and the anger is about pushing everything out of the way to enable me to get there. It is definitely about wanting something to happen, and if you get to see it then I also tend (possibly very mistakenly) to think that that is a vulnerable move on my part, because I am showing you deep feelings which I don't usually express...

It's a cycle. Once the anger passes, I will probably burst into tears. Not for any guilt or pain of causing damage, no. Just the rain after the tornado, the relief and the shakiness of accessing something so deeply buried within me.

Criticise me for it and I will be gone...not that literally, more about erecting an inner wall - see, I *felt* vulnerable, so I need understanding and gentle questioning to help me work through it. Not anything judgmental. Huh.

I think it's a classic case where what the onlooker sees is no way what I felt I was showing them... Sigh.

I'm a 5w6 with the 8 in my tritype. 5, 4 and 8. Doubly withdrawn and the only outward-facing nacelle I get to show the world I'm feeling vulnerable, is anger. Nice.

For those dealing with folks like me, I guess the advice is to ask gentle questions when I say I'm annoyed, irritated or just itchy about something. That's my way of sharing my fragilities...

:doh:

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree and think this is true for all the non-gut types.
Agreed.

Yes, exactly. The point I intended to illustrate was that angry 6s often have legitimate reasons for being angry--not that it can't also be a fear reaction. I personally find it annoying, the meme that goes around, about how 6s who are angry are really "just afraid". It can ruin legitimate points.

Yes, I see that in my father, too--he is often angry about departmental politics in his work, for instance, because he finds them all to be bullies and worries about who's going to be the next dean. But at the same time, I hate to make 6s out as "posers", because I've seen legitimate rage about things on his part too.

That's kind of a misconception, though--as Entropic says, the anger doesn't come from being controlled. It's often "stuff that gets in the way" and is therefore frustrating. The fear of control (which is not usually conscious as a "fear") generally results in an overly strong sense of territory--either controlling everything within the realm, or going one's own way. The anger is a force of its own and generally comes in retribution for past wrongs. The ones who consciously feel angry about being controlled are often (not always) 6s.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm a 6, I get angry when someone disrespects me. I don't tend to show the anger. Sometimes I do.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, exactly. The point I intended to illustrate was that angry 6s often have legitimate reasons for being angry--not that it can't also be a fear reaction. I personally find it annoying, the meme that goes around, about how 6s who are angry are really "just afraid". It can ruin legitimate points.

Yes, I definitely agree. Anyone can be angry and is not unique or explicit to 8s. Anger is a human emotion and the distinguishing point is more that 6s do not have the existential anger the gut types have. I am referring to my girlfriend here, being a 6, and she's said that she often experiences indignation more than actual overt anger. That's why I compared it as such. It can be different for other types. She's 9 fix, also. 6s can also often be angry at injustice and supporting the underdog, but their sense of injustice has more to do with damage done to the common man.

Yes, I see that in my father, too--he is often angry about departmental politics in his work, for instance, because he finds them all to be bullies and worries about who's going to be the next dean. But at the same time, I hate to make 6s out as "posers", because I've seen legitimate rage about things on his part too.

Yes, I agree, and I apologize if it made it seem as if 6s can never be angry for actual legitimate reasons.

That's kind of a misconception, though--as Entropic says, the anger doesn't come from being controlled. It's often "stuff that gets in the way" and is therefore frustrating. The fear of control (which is not usually conscious as a "fear") generally results in an overly strong sense of territory--either controlling everything within the realm, or going one's own way. The anger is a force of its own and generally comes in retribution for past wrongs. The ones who consciously feel angry about being controlled are often (not always) 6s.

Yes, I agree. The problem is that R&H use the word fear to describe how the types react to external stimulus, but it's not so much a fear as a consciously felt thing, as much as it is a disposition and a thoroughly dislike towards being put in such a position. I think the word fear is very misleading in this regard. The only thing I think one can really speak of as a fear in such a sense of being a fear, is the fear of pain which is a universally human state. All humans fear to be in pain and experience pain, physical or emotional, and the reason why R&H consider these "fears" is because all these states are deemed as painful for each respective type. It is not fear of being controlled, but it is the fear of being reminded of the pain that is felt when one is rid of one's power. For 8s, specifically, there is an idea of past victimization of being rendered weak/powerless that they stood up against, and the notion of seeking to control the environment is a reaction against to avoid to be put in a similar position of victimization of feeling weak and powerless again. Not because weakness and powerlessness in themselves are feared, but the pain associated with the state is.

Beyond that, I don't think it's meaningful to speak of it as a fear, anyway. This is true for all the types, obviously. With 6s, their fear is the loss of being abandoned in R&H lingo, but the reason they fear abandonment is because the state to be without guidance is painful to them, since they do not inherently trust themselves.

aanule

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have dealt with both. 6's anger is far more innocuous. It passes quickly... Like a flash. It's defensive, non threatening. (At least in my experience). 8's anger is more deep seated. It's going to stick around until the 8 either gets what they want, or exhausts themself. It's single minded and will go to great lengths to be sated.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Anger doesn't come out in me like a fear - even of being controlled. That just pisses me off. The fear of being controlled comes out in our difficulty with deep, meaningful intimate relationships, difficulty with showing vulnerability, that sort of thing. Anger is always there, it is always available, like change in your pocket. Available to motivate or confront or whatever I might need it to do. An actual anger explosion is very rare in me at this point. It requires so much energy and I've learned better ways to approach things, over the years.

I'm an 8w9 by the way. I should get around to adding that at some point.