• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Inflated numbers of INFx 4s. Let's be honest about it.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I am really suspicious of how INFJ and INFP E4s are accumulating on the forum, so I am making my opinion public that more than one person on this forum is mistyped. The stereotypical avatars of the forum's 4s (black and white pictures expressing sadness, or a quandary) are a good example of what I mean, and they are becoming tiresome to view every day. I do not sense much originality; all I see is conformity created by the fear of appearing unlike a 4, and this fear itself is antithetical to being a 4 (or an sx, or a Fi user for that matter).

I should add that the propensity of many TypoC members to be lazy and stereotype newbies fuels this problem. As I have said before, it isn't what somebody says that matters, but how and why they say it. I wish we would collectively make more of an effort not to rush to conclusions, and consider weighing trends against probability.

To anybody who has just joined the forum, I would urge you to just be yourself. It has taken me a long time to see the virtues in that advice, and if I can, you can. I would also ask you not to self type then ask to be typed by somebody else, and urge members not to indulge anybody who does this. Their openness is an illusion: you are simply being asked to confirm ignorance.

[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] [MENTION=20944]Cygnus[/MENTION] [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] [MENTION=23832]Obsidius[/MENTION] [MENTION=9627]RobertCalifornia[/MENTION]

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
As much as I loathe disclaimers...to prevent a swarm of embittered people dumping their anger here, I also wish to say that I bear E4 as a type no ill will. I would therefore appreciate it if people could rise above ascribing ulterior motives to my posts, and engage this topic on its merits. This is a big elephant which we tend to avoid here.

OK. Bedtime, lol :D

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am really suspicious of how INFJ and INFP E4s are accumulating on the forum, so I am making my opinion public that more than one person on this forum is mistyped. The stereotypical avatars of the forum's 4s (black and white pictures expressing sadness, or a quandary) are a good example of what I mean, and they are becoming tiresome to view every day. I do not sense much originality; all I see is conformity created by the fear of appearing unlike a 4, and this fear itself is antithetical to being a 4 (or an sx, or a Fi user for that matter).

I should add that the propensity of many TypoC members to be lazy and stereotype newbies fuels this problem. As I have said before, it isn't what somebody says that matters, but how and why they say it. I wish we would collectively make more of an effort not to rush to conclusions, and consider weighing trends against probability.

To anybody who has just joined the forum, I would urge you to just be yourself. It has taken me a long time to see the virtues in that advice, and if I can, you can. I would also ask you not to self type then ask to be typed by somebody else, and urge members not to indulge anybody who does this. Their openness is an illusion: you are simply being asked to confirm ignorance.

[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] [MENTION=20944]Cygnus[/MENTION] [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] [MENTION=23832]Obsidius[/MENTION] [MENTION=9627]RobertCalifornia[/MENTION]

I support the general sentiment behind this post, candid forum members seem to be diminishing.

Ingrid in grids

Fearful and conformist INFJ with black and white avatar expressing sadness/quandary checking in.

Beorn

Permabanned
So glad I broke free of my previous conformity.

RNS-DIETRICH-BONHOEFFERthumb.jpg

eric-liddell-400.jpg

Biden does a much better job of expressing my true inner-self.

Cygnus

Fi isn't all about nonconformism. IME, Fi-users adhere strictly to a Te-system because Fi seeks "protection" from the ravages of the outside; similarly, Ti is about protecting one's own existence and free will, but at the price of holding values that adhere to an Fe-system. That said, I'd understand how an strong Fi-user would be more drawn to more dismal, depressive themes than Fe: Gamma and Delta are described as "dark," "angsty," "brutal," or "dreary," while Alpha and Beta are all happy-world.

From what I've seen, Fi is not linked to "uniqueness" at all.

At the same time, while you shouldn't attribute depressive themes to 4, avoid attributing it to other Ego-core types like E9 either. Too many people are just depressed, nothing more.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Wise old Edgar once told me that if someone has a black and white avatar that person is probably an INFP (can't remember whether it was INFX) or gay.

Ps - I didn't have this current avatar back then. Too bored to Photoshop it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"There's a glut of INFx self-typed folks on Internet forums compared to real life" is not exactly a news flash; the bias in self-typing has been recognized for years.

Also, "Arrrg, some people here are mistyped" is not a news flash either. I'm sure some would think you are mistyped, or me, or potentially others: Welcome to internet forums. (We can't agree on celebrity typing either.)

But the public service message to be oneself [minus all the passive forms of control via shaming, of course] is always useful, at least. People should really not care what type they end up as, as long as it best identifies themselves and is helpful for further growth. It's a good message.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
"There's a glut of INFx self-typed folks on Internet forums compared to real life" is not exactly a news flash; the bias in self-typing has been recognized for years.

Also, "Arrrg, some people here are mistyped" is not a news flash either. I'm sure some would think you are mistyped, or me, or potentially others: Welcome to internet forums. (We can't agree on celebrity typing either.)

But the public service message to be oneself [minus all the passive forms of control via shaming, of course] is always useful, at least. People should really not care what type they end up as, as long as it best identifies themselves and is helpful for further growth. It's a good message.

My thoughts as well, Jennifer. And [MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION], my favorite clothed fox, who is Edgar? Did he exist here before my time?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
weren't you an INFP 4 a couple days ago?

and who even is correctly typed?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But who was true self?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
weren't you an INFP 4 a couple days ago?

and who even is correctly typed?

We need to make a sister thread for Mistyped TypologyCentral Members called Correctly Typed TypologyCentral Members where you just @ someone and nod your head.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] *nods*

Starry

who even is correctly typed?

I feel confident that you're accurately typed...but will admit to being confused by your 'atypical' avatar choices. Which makes sense when you compare your avatar(s) with some of the more common themes/expressions we've become accustomed to seeing.

2F2F2F.png

INFx 4 Avatar: Example 1

C5C5C5.png

INFx 4 Avatar: Example 2

666666.png

INFx 4 Avatar: Example 3

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i do feel like i don't fit in with most other e4s, but isn't that an extremely 4ish way to feel?

Chthonic

The stereotypical avatars of the forum's 4s (black and white pictures expressing sadness, or a quandary) are a good example of what I mean............antithetical to being a 4 (or an sx, or a Fi user for that matter).

I wish we would collectively make more of an effort not to rush to conclusions

I wish you'd thought this paragraph through before you wrote it. Please people don't make snap judgements about each other based on a sentence of two....instead make them based on avatars. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on the core motivations behind the choice of a black and white avatar and how it proves they are not 4's?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I wish you'd thought this paragraph through before you wrote it. Please people don't make snap judgements about each other based on a sentence of two....instead make them based on avatars. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on the core motivations behind the choice of a black and white avatar and how it proves they are not 4's?

I actually think there is some merit in typing people based on nonverbals, because it avoids the Forer effect. That is another subject in itself though.

The reason I chose to mention avatar choice is that almost every 4 on the forum has an avatar that is a variation on a theme: black and white (or at least dark), expressing pain, suffering or some feeling of disillusionment and "otherness". There is a dearth of variety. I just think that is an obvious example of members here having a preconceived vision of E4. It isn't the choice of avatar itself that I believe is evidence for my view, but how united the membership is in adopting themes. 4s fear being like others, so I'm surprised that nobody else has noticed this.

To delve deeper, I feel that the reason this happens is because, as we've discussed in the Wiki, there is a hierarchy of Enneatypes with 4 at the top. Many IxFx members, myself included, can relate to superficial aspects of the type (artistic, wants to be unique, etc) but will have core motives that are dissonant to those of a 4. Not all are happy to admit this to themselves, however. My aesthetics have perhaps made it easier for me.

Starry

I actually think there is some merit in typing people based on nonverbals, because it avoids the Forer effect. That is another subject in itself though.

The reason I chose to mention avatar choice is that almost every 4 on the forum has an avatar that is a variation on a theme: black and white (or at least dark), expressing pain, suffering or some feeling of disillusionment and "otherness". There is a dearth of variety. I just think that is an obvious example of members here having a preconceived vision of E4. It isn't the choice of avatar itself that I believe is evidence for my view, but how united the membership is in adopting themes. 4s fear being like others, so I'm surprised that nobody else has noticed this.

To delve deeper, I feel that the reason this happens is because, as we've discussed in the Wiki, there is a hierarchy of Enneatypes with 4 at the top. Many IxFx members, myself included, can relate to superficial aspects of the type (artistic, wants to be unique, etc) but will have core motives that are dissonant to those of a 4. Not all are happy to admit this to themselves, however. My aesthetics have perhaps made it easier for me.

Types 9 and 6 are much more common.

stand·ard de·vi·a·tion

noun

A quantity calculated to indicate the extent of deviation for a group as a whole.

I think it's important to keep in mind that there will never come a time when TypologyCentral will be reflective of the population at large. For example, while we've evolved in many ways...this site can still trace its roots back to INTPCentral. And if there's one thing we know about INTPs it's that they are predominantly 5w4. I don't think it's a stretch to speculate that this site...this format, style of interaction...the focus, the specific content we discuss...may in fact be more attractive to 5w4s/4w5s than other types.

We are high on sx doms and low on ESxx as well which I am more likely to attribute to the content and format respectively long before I would consider mistypes.